Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 11-04-2004, 08:27 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I learned to drive in a 78 Monte Carlo (also my first car). But my Aunt let me borrow her Volkswagon Rabbit to take my test in talk about small.
You couldn't get hold of the things you'd done and turn them right again. Such a power might be given to the gods, but it was not given to women and men, and that was probably a good thing. Had it been otherwise, people would probably die of old age still trying to rewrite their teens.
Stephen King
Old 11-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I can't remember exactly which car because well for one we have had alot of different cars lol and we live on a private road and at the time there weren't as many people living up here but Mom would let me drive up the road in her Jeep, also I remember a Caravan too. I do remember my dad teaching me about merging onto the highway I was thinking just get up to 55 but the speed limit was 65 and people were zooming around me honking the horn my dad said you better go before we get hit lol everytime I drive on that road I think of that day lol.

Getting Married May 26, 2007 to my high school sweetheart!!!

My FC Member Awards!

[IMG]/forums/images/13_10_7.gif[/IMG]
BD Club
Old 11-21-2004, 06:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

It was the older kind of vans that had the paneling and not a lot of windows you know what I mean? It belonged to the peole who I very first babysat for. They taught me how to drive and let me use thier van to take my test. My mother was not happy. But she did go along with it. Then I ended up getting my mothers car when she got her next car. So mine was a for galaxy 500, ugly green.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I learned how to drive in a nissan, 5 speed. So glad I learned how to drive a 5 speed right off the bat. I actually miss driving a 5 speed, but I don't know if I could ever go back to it. Wouldn't mind going back to it every once in a while, though.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

the old 4 door boat of a car made by Buick...in offset gray-blue and chrome trim...altered with a brake pedal on the passenger side! I learned in high school in the early 1980's when California High school's offered Driver's Education...technically you could say the automated driver's video game, but the Buicks were the road driving cars. LOL
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 07-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The first car I drove was an early 1980's Dodge Ram van with stick shift on the floor. At the time I was about 4 inches shorter then I am now and had to have the seat so far forward that the stick shift was almost behind me. It was a seven passenger van but had enough room to add a third row bench seat if Dad wanted. Funny thing about it, all my friends drove automatics and had no clue how to drive sticks. Those skills came in very handy when our Young Life group held a car wash and one gentleman handed off his keys to one of our adults so they could move it when we were done, and then went into the store near by to do some shopping. We finished washing the car and they went to move it, turned out to be a stick shift and no one else in the group knew how to drive stick except for me. Sure gave shy old me a confidence boost that day when they found that I knew how to drive it. Boy it brings back some great memories.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Nine Year Member

I learned to drive in drivers ed in the early 70's, we actually drove cars on a practice road.. never got out on the highway but we had the stops and everyone driving at once to simulate traffic.. One girl almost hit me because she didn't stop at the stop sign. I almost wrecked the VW Bug because no one explained to me how to drive a stick (really needed the clutch, brake and gas explained)thanks to the guy in the passenger seat we just stalled out.. all the cars were equipped with dual steering wheels and pedals.. I made him drive it around the course and back to park, wouldn't touch another stick.. at that time.
Years later my then boyfriend had a stick and we went to Disney World, going back home he and his friend were sleepy so I said I would drive as long as they got me to where I didn't have to worry about changing gears and all.. we were all I95. Got into traffic and drove to the next plaza and by that time my right leg was shaking so bad I couldn't drive anymore.. Funny thing, I used to shift the car for Jim while I was a passenger, but doing it as the driver I didn't like at all.. don't like clutches and they don't like me!!
But my first actual car was a Ford Falcon.. a tank of a car and the radio did not work!!