Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 10-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Drivers' Training was just starting in high school and I was one of four passing a test to learn how to drive in a brand new 1952 Pontiac with a stick shift. It was the middle of winter, with a lot of snow, and I'm so glad I learned under those conditions. Now I can drive in just about anything.

My first car was an old '41 Buick my dad was having trouble selling. He gave up and decided to give it to me and I've had many cars since, ending up now with another Buick. This one is quite a bit newer though.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:57 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I learned to drive around 1968 when I was 16. My father tried to teach me (big mistake) so I ended up going to a driving school. I think I learned on an Ambassador. It was an automatic and that's all I learned how to drive. My first husband tried to teach me to drive a stick shift but I wouldn't learn (he was worse than my dad when it came to lessons. By the time I married my second husband, I was set in my ways so automatic is all I know. Sometimes I can't think and drive at the same time. LOL.

LI Roe
Old 10-17-2004, 05:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I learned to drive in a 1962 ford Falcon.. I think that's wahat it was (This was in 1973)... It was "puke" green.. all banged up and as ugly as sin...

I was so emmbarrassed to be seen in that car. No muffler.. the passenger door didn't work. it was just ugly!! What an embarrassment!!

My dad figured I couldn't do anything to it that would make him angry. He was a wise man. Learning to drive in the Bronx.. was a nightmare.. There are elevated train tracks on major roadways. You have to navagate in between them ( like slalom courses) to get around cars turning or parking.. I creased the sides of that car more than once against those El-pillars.. lolol!! Not to mention having to deal with cab drivers, commuters trucks and busses in Manhattan.. No new car should be given to a new driver in NYC...

After I got the hang of driving, I got a 1973 Chevy Nova. It was metalic baby blue and I drove it very fast.. I loved that car!! I kept that car till 1983, and sold it for a lot more than I paid for it..
Old 10-19-2004, 08:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I learned to drive in a 1972 Ford Maverick. It belonged to the older couple living next door to us, and when the husband passed away, my parents bought it for my mom. Then they saved it for us to learn to drive. It had no working radio which is horrible on a teenager!! It had a big dent in the trunk but my mom was responsible for that! Oh well....it got me where I had to go--school and work, drive my sister and brother places. That's why my mom kept it! She hates to drive, and figured that once I had a license she would no longer have to give any of us rides. My household chores consisted of doing the grocery shopping for the family and driving my siblings around when I wasn't at work. My parents paid to insure and maintain the car, and I gave my sister's friend a ride to school every day so her mom gave me money toward gas. It was a win-win for me
Old 10-19-2004, 10:38 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have to say that it was a jeep scout I am not sure of the year but it was my dads hunting vehicle so it was old like maybe a 63' or somewhere close to that. I would have been about 13 or 14 so that would have been around 1983-84. It scared me to drive it. It was 4 whl drive. maual shift. what is worse? no power steering.

Anyhow, it was an experience and my dad just laughed at me while I tried to drive and shift on Austin Creek Road, Cazadero Calif. that day.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:08 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

What a fun question! Ok, I am 47, so I learned to drive in my dad's PURPLE GREMLIN! Ack! My first car, however, was a Ford Maverick...not sure about the year...I think it was a 1970 or 1971.

Alana in Missouri
alanaj
Old 10-20-2004, 06:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

lol I rememebr Gremlins!! My friend had an Orange one! lolol
Old 10-26-2004, 03:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What a fun memory to think about.
My first car was a 1964 Chevy Impala, it was baby yellow and a two door. It was my moms, I lived in a small town of less than 500. My mom ran a cafe on the edge of town and we lived about two miles out of town so from my house to the cafe was 2miles and maybe 7/10 of a mile. get the picture.
The town cop would come in for coffee and mom would always buy it so he would let me drive home after work at night ( didnt have a nights permit, and I was only about 14) if I went straight home and didnt drag Main. Well by the time I got off work there was no one in town still up so where else would I go. It was a fun car but my favorite was my brothers 1967 "Red" GTO with black leather seats and 4 on the floor. man would that thing move. My Boy- friend taught me how to speed shift and away I would go. My first car I ever owned was a 1962 Ford Falcon, the hood was nothing but rust and it was silver green. The best part and dont take this wrong cause I married the guy and been together for 33 years, showed me how the seats would lay down. Cool. and I could put a $1.00 worth of gas in it and go for a week. remember how big my town was though.
I have owned a cool Cougar, A really nice Mustange and then I went to pickups and havent looked back. My husband and I now have been into Truck and Tractor Pulling now for 12 years and love the power in trucks, We love going to the NHRA racing when ever they are in Vegas. I quess thtat old GTO set me up for speed and fast cars.
love them all.
smiller
Old 10-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I learned to drive in a white Galaxy 500. I was 14(1977) and my boyfriend was 16. I was so excited. We lived out where there was nothing but desert roads. I was doing really well. He made me parallel park between cactus and park uphill and all sorts of things. I decided to play around a little and got it highcentered on a big rock. He was not happy. I somehow managed to get all 4 wheels off the ground. The next year I was driving an old Dodge powerwagon.
What happy memories.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Let's see.......I believe it was the old Ford Galaxy 500...that ugly nasty yellowish/green color and we called it the "beater". But, it got us back and for to where we needed to go!
Becky