Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 04-03-2002, 12:36 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question What is your favorite childrens book?

When my children were growing up many moons ago, my favorite book to read to them was "Mog the Forgetful Cat" by Judith Kerr. Over the years the book came up missing. One day last year I asked my daughter if she remembered the book and did she know what happened to it. She said no. I looked in bookstores and couldn't find it anywhere. Finally found out it was no longer in print so I gave up hope. Then at Christmas, wrapped up so lovelingly, was the book "Mog the Forgetful Cat". I cried. My daughter got on the internet and found me a copy.
Old 04-03-2002, 06:29 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My story is a little similar. As a girl I always loved the story, Watership Down. It's a novel, but at age 12 I read the whole thing and loved it. I read it 3 times. I had the book forever, then I lost it I searched the internet and found a replacement, PLUS a good friend of mine found a hard cover copy of it for me! THEN I found my original. LOL So now I have 3 of them.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
"Good Night Moon" has become a ritual at our house. We have been reading it to our son since he was an infant and now he has it memorized cover to cover. The best part is when my husband reads it to him....he makes up silly words throughout the book. If fact its not called "Good Night Moon" here at our house, its called "The Great Green Broom". Im sure my son will carry these memories for a very long time. I plan on saving the book for him when he out grows it, no matter what shape it ends up in.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I love The Twelve Dancing Princess's! I bought the book for my DD when she was about 6 and it is her favorite too.

I would love to see Disney do an animated movie of it! I think it would be wonderful, with all the excitement that goes on in the book. I think the story is equally well suited for both girls and boys.

Jenna
Old 04-04-2002, 10:30 AM

I think the Junie B. Jones books are hilarious! "Love You Forever" is a real tear-jerker and a great gift for a new mom or grandma.
Old 04-06-2002, 03:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I really do not have a favorite childrens book, but I know that my daughters class (for the past 3 years) have loved the book Click, Clack Moo.

It is a short book but very cute.
Old 04-07-2002, 09:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My Favorite

My sister is a librarian and my whole family are book lovers. When I was pregnant my sister showed me a book from the library called "The Cathedral Mouse" by Kay Chorao. I wanted it so badly for my daughter, but alas, it was out of print as well, but I found it online for just $2.

My daughter is only a year old, but already has a huge library!!!

;-) ;-) ;-)

Old 04-07-2002, 06:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a tender memory of my son at about 15 months. I walked him in his stroller along a country road up to a waterfall. He was an early talker/question-asker, and he had to stop to examine and wonder at every little new thing. He was holding a tiny board book, "Wee Wonders of Nature," which had pictures of all the sights we saw: a clover flower, a lady bug, etc. The memory is a mental snapshot of a sweet moment in time to which I can never return. Reminds me of the song, "Circle Game."
--Sharon, Brooklyn
Old 04-07-2002, 07:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm not a mom yet, but I certainly know my favorites!!

I LOVED Harry the Dirty Dog when I was little, and had completely firgotten about it until about 3 years ago when I ran across a copy in a children's book store. My sister bought me a copy and gave it to me just for fun.

I also loved reading The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew (novel). I must have read it over and over. I ran across a copy years ago in an antique store and bought it right away. My sister (what a shopper she is!!) found me a copy called The Five Little Peppers Midway. If you haven't read them, you MUST!

Two educational tear jerkers are Faithful Elephants, the true story of the animals in the Ueno Zoo in Tokyo during WWII and one called Pink and Say about two young boys fighting during the civil war (this was especially a favorite because we LOVE Abraham Lincoln around here!)

I also loved anything with Beezus and Ramona, or Laura Ingalls. And really enjoyed the Little Princess and the Secret Garden.

My husband votes for the Mouse and the Motorcycle, the Encyclopedia Brown books and the Choose your own Adventures.
Old 04-07-2002, 09:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have quite a few favorites around here. But one of the most unusual, is called DRAGON SOUP by Arlene Williams. It's a story about a girl named Tonlu and her encounter with the Cloud Dragons. The Dragons argue over whose soup is better and want Tonlu to decide which is best. It's a wonderful story about conflict resolution and co-operation with incredible illustrations. My son found this book quite by accident at the library when he was in the 1st grade. We decided to buy him the book as a Christmas present so others could get a chance to read the book at the library. (My ds hated having to return it so we kept renewing it). When it was my turn to read to my dd's 1st grade class this year, this was the book I chose and the kids loved it.

Also, dh and ds love reading poetry to each other, the funnier, the better. Their favorites, anything by Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky.