Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 04-08-2002, 07:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

For my children (3 1/2 yos, 2 yod, 4mod), they like Good Night Moon and Harold and the Purple Crayon, etc. I could give a long list as they love books. I try to read to them at least before naptime every day, and then devotions at night.

When I was younger, I loved to read--we did not have a television until I was a teenager, and then it was only out for specials! I have since tried collecting many of the books by authors that I read when I was younger: Louisa May Alcott (Little Women, etc.), George McDonald, Harold Bell Wright, Kate Douglas Wiggin (Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, etc.), Margaret Sidney (the Five Little Peppers books), Ann of Green Gables, The Black Stallion books, Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, . . .

Now that I am busy with my 3 little ones, I don't have the chance to read as much as I used to. I still have the books around for when I get the chance, though! I also have gotten into rubber stamping cards, gifts, etc. the past few years.

Rebecca
Old 04-08-2002, 08:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

There are some really wonderful children's books out there. Some of my favourites include Goodnight Moon, The Runaway Bunny and Guess How Much I Love You. Dr. Suess and Robert Munsch have written some great stories, many of which are just as enjoyable for adults as for children. Another favourite of mine is C. S. Lewis. I still have my entire "Chronicles of Narnia" set and I occassionally dig them for a bit of nostalgic reading. A good series of books for kids old enough to handle novels is the Adventure series by Enid Blyton (The Valley of Adventure, The Circus of Adventure, The _______ of Adventure (you get the idea)).
Old 04-13-2002, 04:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Favorite Books

One of my favorite children's books is a book I read in a college ethichs class--The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. What a wonderful message. I love it, my husband loves it and our 3 1/2 loves it.
Old 04-13-2002, 04:40 PM

When I was a child in the 1940's, my parents were considered quite poor. They, however were readers. That is what we did every evening. They bought me "The Golden Egg Book", a large book still in print. I think it might have been a Caldecott winner. Anyway, I wrote my own name in it and took it to school in fourth grade. My mother had passed away the year before. The fourth grade teacher assumed that my parents would not buy such a nice book, and accused me of stealing it. She took it away and put it on the shelf. It was my favorite book and I was tempted to steal it back, but was afraid I would be terribly punished. In those days there was no recourse, the teacher was always assumed right, so I just let it go.
I was thrilled to locate a copy when my own children were small, and it became a favorite. Then when my daughter was in elementary school, (the same one) teachers were sorting books, recognized my unusual first name, and sent it home with my daughter! I still get a lump in my throat when I think of the moment I saw my beloved book again, the one given to me by my precious mother.
Old 04-13-2002, 06:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Now THAT is a GREAT story!!

I am jumping up and down inside, and thrilled that although there was one terribly mean, insensitive teacher long ago, that some sweet, thoughtful ones years later took the time to return such a precious book.

Hooray for you and for them!
Old 04-26-2002, 06:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

That was a very touching story..I am so glad that your book was returned to you.

We are avid readers in our family - the girls are now teenagers.
Among the favorites that we read over and over, in addition to,
several already mentioned are:

How the Sun was Brought Back to the Sky

Strega Nona

The Snow Lion

Each has an underlying message about good values.

Enjoy them with your children - I recommend them highly.

Blessings to you and yours,

Jeanne

I Mentor Moms to Success
Old 04-26-2002, 06:55 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'm so glad you have that book back. Even back then a caring teacher would have checked out your story. We too are a reading family. My dd is now 12 so right now she's into Nancy Drew's and the Redwall series. We are waiting for the next Harry Potter. Ever since dd started to read her favorites have been mystery's. Now we started a new generation of readers when our oldest dd's 2 boys come over. The oldest gs reads whatever is there and the youngest gs wants Papa to read him the stack over and over. Quite a feat as the stack is 10 books deep right now.
Laura
Old 04-26-2002, 05:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My favorite book was Mitch and Amy by Beverly Cleary.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My favorite book was "Sarafina the Giraffe" It's out of print and I haven't been able to find it on the internet. Our copy from childhood was second-hand and fell apart years ago. It just as well because my sister and I would fight over it now!

Later I fell in love with "Little House on the Prairie" and the other books that followed it. As a child I thought it was terrible that the TV show didn't follow the books! DM had to explain that the TV ran out of material!
Old 05-20-2002, 04:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Pinkie Winky Favorites...

These are not just for children!.....
I love the book "Earth Tigerlets".....