Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

What is your most embarassing moment?

We can really have an uproarious time with this one!

I'll start. Well, I have so many!

I was just out of HighSchool and was working at a local JB's Big Boy Family Restaurant as a Hostess. I was thin, young, perky, bubbly - just the kind of Hostess they wanted. I was even awarded Employee of the Month the third month I was there.

We hostesses had a script and after 5 hours of greeting everyone with, " Good Evening! Welcome to JB's. How many in your party? And would you like smoking or non-smoking?" the words just seem to jumble up together. I hadn't started dating my husband yet but he and his friends were regulars and I had just seated them near the front. We just got through with a big rush and the adrenaline was still high and I wanted to make sure that I passed by Cary's (husband) table enough times to sashay my body to get his attention. It didn't seem to be working but what I did next sure got his attention!

Two young men came walking in and started smiling at me as I walked up to greet them and seet them. Time to show off a little. I had already won Employee of the Month and so my delivery was polished. I opened my mouth to start my greeting "Good Evening!" and then I saw the word on the young man's shirt. There it was in great big bright flowery letters and without missing a beat I said, "Welcome to Hawaii!" The front of the restaurant went quiet and then someone snorted. Then the guffaws started and kept growing and growing. I was so flustered and embarassed that I accidently poured Cary's coffee on his plate instead of his cup. They kept asking me to hula for them.

Ok, ladies, let's hear it. Tell us about your Freudian slip of the tongues, the faux pas, you know those stories you just can't live down. (Make it clean, though.)

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?
Old 09-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

OK LovedMom, here's the story:

I was 16 yrs old and living in Hawaii and our family's favorite spot to visit was Hanauma Bay. When the tide is low, the coral and fist are gorgeous. We would pack up a big lunch and play all day long.

One day, we had heard about the "Toilet Bowl" along the north ridge of the bay. My sister and I decided to take the hourlong hike over to check this out. It was amazing to see the water rushing through this narrow tunnel in the rocks (about 50 ft. long) and empty into this hole about 10 ft deep. The water would rush in to fill the bowl and then whoosh out to flush it.

My sister dared me to jump in. I jumped in when the water filled up. I didn't notice the mossy bottom and when the water flushed out, it was so strong that I fell. I grabbed the nearest thing to keep me from flushing out with the water. The GI next to me looked down and there I was, in my neon orange two pc, holding onto his legs for dear life. My sister is rolling, I'm so embarassed that I can't even get my footing. I really thought I was going out with the tide! When the water filled back up, I tried to get out only to flop back into the water with the water flushing out again! This time my sister's laughter is joined with the GI's friends as well. The GI grabbed me, lifted me up and told me they had not lost one yet but, if I needed to hang onto something, just hold his hand. I was mortified, and come the next high water, I scrambled out of there and took off down the trail. My sister's maniacal laughter still ring in my ears to this day!!!

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?

Last edited by cynstenquist; 09-16-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:32 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

OK, gals, here's another one to keep things rolling:

We had just returned to HAFB in Utah after spending a few years in Hawaii. So I'm a little older than the 16 yrs old in the Toilet Bowl.

My parents are celebrating their anniversary with a steak dinner at the NCO club on base. I grew up chawing on bones, chicken bones, steak bones, etc.... Something I picked up from my Dad and growing up in the south. My brother and I asked our parents to bring home leftovers, particularly the bones so we could glean what little meat was left on the bones and then chaw on our favorite part, the pure bone!

My parents came home and told us their dinner was delicous and the bag of bones was on the counter. My brother and I opened it up with big bright eyes, like kids on Christmas morning, and we each picked up a bone, looking it over as if trying to decide which side to start with first. We licked our chops, and bit down, savoring the spices the cook used, licking our lips and our fingers.....SCREEEEECCCCHHHHH!

My dad walked around the corner, our idyllic moment destroyed with his next words, " What do you think you're doing? That's the doggy bag."

"Yeah, we know," although slightly puzzled, we kept right on chewing.

"Those are not our left-overs, those are bones from everyone else's plate at the club. We had the cook put that together for us!"

Now, what's so funny about this is, I have never lived this down and my brother tells the story conveniently leaving himself out of the picture. He has shared this story with my husband and now with my boys and every year when we get together at my brother's for our annual party, they all have to sit around and retell this story. It happened over 20 yrs ago! Some things are hard to forget. I know!

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?

Last edited by cynstenquist; 09-16-2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

oh cyn You've got me in stitches now...can't decide which story made me laugh harder.

I'll have to put my thinking cap on and try and remember some of my most embarassing moments!! Don't know if I can top your though!!!

Thanks for giving me a smile

Hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sure you can! or can you???

I know there are people in Heaven gathered around with a big bowl of popcorn just laughing and saying, "You gotta see what cynthia did now!!!"

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?
Old 09-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle I shoulda known Cyn started this thread!

Hi Cyn! I have found the thread...DUH! I'm here ain't I! And I cracked up so hard about the "doggy bag"....and I am just beside myself that you have shared quite a bit...from the "employee of the month" to the "toilet bowl"...flush flush! hahahaha...just all in good fun! *wiping my tears of laughter*

okay, let's see...

i was single and stranded in hawaii for not having a french visa to go visit my friend (husband now)..so through friends i housesat for a family going on vacation. They had a dog, a britney spaniel. This dog stayed indoors and i usually walked him early in the morning before leaving for the day....
One morning, I heard the dog crying and wanting to go out, it was 5 am..something like that...so i brought my shades, as in the previous walks we would see the sun rising really bright. As we were walking, actually with this dog it was more like "running the dog" than anything. And as we were "running and I, tugging along at the dog" the sun began to rise and I put on my shades happily looking at cars passing by and other dogwalkers and joggers going the opposite direction on the walkpath. I was being particularly friendly for someone who does not want to be walking a dog that early...smiling and trying to be the "best dog walker" or so i thought...people were unusually giggly or had a big grin or just smiling as they passed me by and i thought oh, they're happy too. thinking to myself all sorts of funny things about them and about this predicament i had committed myself to....anyway, the walk ended when we arrived home, i went straight to the shower...when I came back and began to have some breakfast and go through some paper work...I noticed my pair of sunglasses that i left on the table on my way to the shower. I began to laugh hysterically! One of the lenses had popped out and i was walking with only one lens in the frame...the other eye frame was open...and it hit me! LOL, that's why my other eye seemed to see this black spot! the kind you get when you have beenstaring straight into the sun! geez! ~ Hope you liked that CYN! I'll call this the "One Eye" story!

LovedMom

Last edited by LovedMom; 09-16-2004 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well i do not know if this is as funny as the others, but it was pretty embarrassing to me. I was a Senior in HS and was in the concert and Jazz bands. We were having a concert with the chorus. The initial plan was for the concert band to play first then the chorus would sing and then the Jazz band. I played flute in concert band and sax in Jazz band so since I thought I had plenty of time to go get my sax I left it in the band room which was down stairs away from the Gym were the concert was. After the concert band performance, the band director made an annoucement that the Jazz band was going to perform next. I freaked. So I jumped up, ran down stairs to get my sax, ran back upstairs to find out that they had already set up the jazz band to play and had gotten my chair but no music stand. I went to get my music stand and I had my music, sax and stand in hand when all of the sudden my music stand fell apart and my music went flying. I was one of two girls in the band and the band director made the comment "thats what I get for having a girl in the band" jokingly of course but that did not help. The other thing was no one got up to help me except members on the audience. After I sat down and was trying to get my music together, the band director pick a song that had a sax solo in it. Now this was my first year to play sax and I was not prepared to do a solo. When he turned around he must of saw the look on my face, winked and said that he would play it. I thought I would never get through that night. What a way to leave my senior year. I was so glad to get home that night and almost did not want to show my face at school again. Well thats it. Like I said it is not very funny but was embarrassing.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Okay Mother of 2, here's my embarrasing moment

We were in this high school program where we got to go to Washington D.C. and Virginia, etc. called The Close-Up Foundation. We traveled from my island. I was one of the representatives of my small high school back home. Anyway, the whole experience was great except I will always remember the time we were sort of touring and I wanted to go ahead of the group back to our building (back from touring) and I slipped from the icy slippery steps and landed on my back with my legs sprawled and my skirt over my face. Good thing I wore a pair of spandex-type shorts to keep me warm underneath and so I didn't display anything indecent. But there was this underclassmen who always followed me wherever I went and seemed to admire me. Well, she was right behind my tail and needless to say, this time I was not so admirable. I did hurry to get up with her help, of course, since the mob was coming and fast! My underclassmen friend kept it a secret between us and I do appreciate that, but it was still embarrassing.

so how was that?

LovedMom

Last edited by LovedMom; 09-19-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Well here is one of my most embarassing moments,

My hubby and I went away for a weekend with anouther couple when we first met on easter weekend. We shared a hotel room with them to help ease the cost. I thought I would be sneaky and had brought easter treats to put out while they were all sleeping. Well I awoke in the night and decided to place the chocolate bunnies on the night stands thinking everyone was asleep....thing is they were all awake watching me crawl around on the floor feeling my way in the dark tryiny to place these darn bunnies. They all just lay there and watched me then one spoke causing me to nearly have heart attack on the spot. Boy did they all have a good laugh at my expense...we still talk about it 14 years later!!!

hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

blushing Those are pretty embarassing

If that had been me playing in the band and I dropped eveything and made a rucus, I would have turned tail and cried. I did that alot when I was younger. Didn't know how to handle the embarassment ...that is until I started my family!!! My husband helped to get over my shyness (HA).

It was after I had my first son and I decided to go back to work. I got a really good job working in the personnel office of a big company so I knew I would learn alot about this field. We had just gotten a new department manager who was a very tall handsome man and made me nervous because he was always teasing everyone. One day he paid me a compliment about my work and that made my day and I had decided that he was going to be a pretty good manager. I had to run some paperwork to the next building and I was in a hurry. I grabbed the paperwork and quickly walked around to the door of my office. I was still feeling really good about the compliment so I grabbed the frame around the doorway and held on to swing myself through and around (remember how we would swing around the pole like that when we were little girls). I swung through the doorway and was ready to let go but I couldn't. My watch got caught on the door plate on the frame and I found my self swinging not just through the doorway but all the way around to the hallway wall. BAAAMMMMM!!!! I hit the wall square on and I was kind of dazed. My glasses were a little crooked on my nose and I couldn't see very well. I tried to unhook my watch but I couldn't. the only thing I could was to walk backwards through my doorway to unhook my watch band. I straightened my glasses just as my manager came rushing out of his office across the hallway and asked what that noise was. He said he felt the shaking in his office. Too mortified to look him in the eye, I innocently mumbled I heard nothing and walked down the hall to deliver the papers. I was a grown woman of 22 with a baby and I found to my further embassment, I was crying! When I told my husband what happend, he laughed so hard, hugged my nose and told me it would make a good story one day.

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?