Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 08-13-2004, 03:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Question The 2004 Summer Olympics

Just wondering if anyone here be faithful watchers of the Olympics this time around??

If so, do you have a favorite event or athlete?

I like to watch swimming and diving.

Not sure if I will watch any of the other competitions.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:08 AM
Nine Year Member

I am not a faithful follower, but I do like to watch gymnastics. That is my favorite event.

Lauri

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 08-13-2004, 05:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I decided that this thread would be better placed in the Sports subforum so I moved it over here.

I like the gymnastics too but don't "try" to watch that competion like I do the swimming and diving.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:34 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

Swimming, diving and gymnastics.
I am watching synchro dives and it is fascinating.
Micheal Phelps is the one to watch. He wants to beat out Mark Spitz's old record. He already has done this.
The American womens gymnastics team is the one to watch.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yoohoo! Go Thorpedo, Go Aussie women's 100m relay team, In fact GO AUSSIE!!!!

Sorry I know I'm outnumbered here, but at least I can stand proud!! Now be nice ladies, there are only one or two of us Aussies on the boards, so please don't think I'm bragging, but I have to get excited in the first week of the games, 'cos we don't usually get as many medals in the second week!!

For a little place, we do pretty well, don't you think??
Old 08-18-2004, 09:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I love watching the olympics!!!! It was a great opening ceremony...loved the parade through the years they had.

I like watching everything...today i watched Canada beat the Romania team in beach volleyball!! One of our male swimmers placed 6th but beat his canadian record...pretty good for his first Olympics. I also watched the syncro diving and was excited for canada as they got a 3rd place finish!!! Go team canada!!!!

I have to say the female Aussie swimmer was awsome in the semis today beating a world record and not even looking tired...Wow!!!

I think I would like to see the shotput ......they are doing it where the original olympics took place and gave the guys the option of going in their birthday suits!!!! HMMMMMMMM could be interesting!!!!!

Take care
Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 08-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by megrayau
Sorry I know I'm outnumbered here, but at least I can stand proud!! Now be nice ladies, there are only one or two of us Aussies on the boards, so please don't think I'm bragging, but I have to get excited in the first week of the games, 'cos we don't usually get as many medals in the second week!!

Please don't apologize for the enthusiasm you have for your countrymen (& women)! You should stand proud! Just realize what hard work & effort they had to put into their sport just to get to the Olympics!!

Even those athletes that go home without a medal around their neck should walk proud and know that they represented their country well!!
Old 08-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

HI,
Cindy, I wasn't apologising for my team, just didn't want to sound like I was bragging!!
I am a proud Aussie, but don't tell my SS, she doesn't know which country I am from
The swimming is sensational for us, but we have also had some excellent athletes in unexpected events, like shooting, 4th place in Judo, things like that.
Unfortunately, to see our great swimmers I have had to set the alarm for 2.45AM!! My 9yo ds did this once, on a school night, but I stopped that. Mostly we are watching replays during the day, if we can catch it when we are at home!! Sydney in 2000 was much easier for us, just not the rest of the world. Oh well!!
My dd loves the gymnastics and our girls did really well there too.
On a personal note, dd and I are heading interstate tomorrow moring for National Aerobics Championship with her school team. That should also be fun, and yes I am proud of our girls there too.!!

Happy Olympic watching
Old 08-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Yahoo Canada won a silver medal in the ladies trampoline!!!

Canadians are being pretty hard on our Canadain Team as they have not obtained as many medals as they hoped I am just proud of all of them!!!! Many of them have broken personal bests and should be proud of that accomplishment!!!

I watched fencing, kayaking,trampoline and beach volleyball today. Got a chance to watch the highligts from the track and field openings too.

My 3 kids are addicted to watching the Olympics...they jump up and down and cheer Canadians on in all competitions...Nice to see them have an interest

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 08-20-2004, 06:55 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

When did Trampoline become an Olympic sport? LOL Sign me up for it. Heck, I think I could medal. What a hoot. Trampoline.
Otherwise, I think we are doing a tremendous job getting the gold after a, well, disappointing start.
Go womens diving and swimming!! I can't wait for synchro swimming. We may end up with snychro ice skating in a few years. Fingers crossed.