Interesting people in your life - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 08-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Interesting people in your life

Who is the most interesting person you have ever met in your life and why?

hugs,train
Old 08-14-2004, 11:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Some of my very favorite people to meet are missionaries. They have such interesting stories and miracles to talk about!
Old 08-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I thought about this awhile and decided there are a few....number one was my mom. She taught me everything I needed to know as I grew plus so much more. She amazed me at her amount of compassion for people even total strangers. I miss her.
2nd was my girlfriends step dad. A rather odd character with a drinking problem. He swore he was an Indian which impressed me beyond my tender years. He made a really need wood teepee for a play house and soaked live snapping turtles in buttermilk for weeks(I think) before making them into turtle stew which I flatly refused to taste! He had so many neat stories and then when under the influence he would chase us and say he was going to scalp us..... Not sure if he was a real danger or not...but I remember one time running in a neighbor’s house unannounced to hide from him. That neighbor wasn't sure if he was a danger either and called my mom to come get me.
3rd was an Aunt of the same girlfriend.....she was an amateur artist I'm sure but at the time she was famous to this third grader.
I wanted to be an Artist and lived for guidance. She took us around with sketchpad and pencils in toe to sketch things along our drive. I had those sketches till my first hubby and I spilt up and I don't know what happened to them.
4th ...Mrs. Bloom, my home maker’s teacher in 7th, 8th, 9th grade. I think she was also the leader for future homemakers of America which I was a member. She had a faith in my abilities that I had not experienced to that point in my life. I wrote, casted and directed a few skits during that period. I don't think anyone else could have given me the confidence she did.
There are more but a lifetime of them and I had better stop here. These are the ones that popped into my head first and although I am not sure to what extent some have influanced me ;I know they all have.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

No 1 - my dad, my hero, he knew how to do everything and well. he raced cars when I was small and taught all 4 of us kids to drive w/that knowledge. he was compassinate and caring and would go through hell to help anyone in need, no questions asked.
No 2 - dad's best friend I called him uncle . he was the most intelligent person I have ever known, he worked by demand for the "government", if all their important people couldn't solve the problem uncle could. he gave me great advice I still use today 25 yrs after he passed away. he made me feel so special I miss him still every day.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

1. My dear sweet Mom who taught me so much growing up. I realy miss her.
2. My Dad he was always was there for me guiding me and still is he is my #i pal and friend. 3. a very special friend gfrom sclool that always knew the right answers to every thing, he is now gone
4 My x MIL the sweetest person that I ever knew traught me how to bake and how to cook southern foods and to make gravy, she is gone but I still make the special dishes for my DH. There is more but it would take a lot more days to tell it all.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Great question Donna,

The most interesting person I have ever met was my paternal Grandmother. She emmigrated in 1900 from Vienna at the age of 13. She was the oldest child, left to live with her maternal Grandmother, while her mother and father emmigrated to America to start a new life. She was raised in an upper-middle calss home.. ( I have deguerotypes of her taken at 6 month intervals from the time she was 6 months old to her 13th b'day in Vienna)... and then was thrust into poverty upon her arrival in America.

When her father sent for her, she took the voyage to America alone. When she arrived, she was greeted by a family she didn't know. Thirteen siblings, born in the 13 years that her parents were in America waited for her. She was the only one of them who didn't speak English, and she said she was called the "greenhorn" and the "fool" by the little siblings she cared for. . Her mother was dying, and her father ( a drunk and a gambler) sent for her to care for the children and the home. She wasn't allowed to go to school, and became a drudgery slave to the family at home. Eight of her siblings died before they were teenagers mostly from cholera, scarlet fever and TB, and she eventually went to work in the sweatshops of the Lower East Side.

She said her father was abusive, beating her and her siblings, ( only one of whom survived into adulthood) and when she was 21, her father literally BET her in a game of cards. My Grandfather won the hand, and although it was roughly a joke, he "claimed" my Grandmother as his wife. They had never met, but my Grandmother decided that it was her only opportunity to escape her father, and married my Grandfather, who was 24, in 1908.

She had four children and four abortions... Shocking, I know.. Especially that the abortions were done by other women, with kitchen tools and chemicals. She told horror stories of infanticide by women who would hide their pregnancies, and then toss their babies into elevator shafts or garbage heaps. I remember her crying when she told these stories to me. She described sex as something a woman had to submit to , and a husband as someone to obey.

She was a high-strung and outwardly cold woman most of the time, but when she would comb out her hair, I knew she would tell me the stories of her life. She had silver hair she wore in a braid around her head ( Heidi style) and she would unwind it, and it amazed me that it reached down to her thigh. It was like a secret she kept hidden, and she would literally let her hair down and transform into a warm, open, and whistful woman.

She was an amazing baker, having learned Vienese pastry arts from her Grandmother. I have never to this day had streudel or turnovers like hers. She taught me to make many German-Austrian dishes, and would sing the songs her Grandmother sang to her.

She taught me frugality, with her experiences raising a family during the Great Depression, flexability and determination with her stories of emmigration and learning a language and the customs of a foreign land, and bravery in taking on a life with a stranger, and making it through 85 years of a difficult marriage.

She had wonderful stories to tell, about living through times of great poverty, and amazing advances of the 20th century.

My Grandmother lived to be 105, although her mind began to go when she was in her mid-nineties. She lived the last of her years in a nursing home, and died in 1993.

While my other grandparents were also amazingly interesting people, I think my Grandmother was the most amazing of them all.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Val it was great that your dear G-Mom told you all those stories what a legacy for you and yours. I admired my paternal g-mom too.