Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

View Poll Results: Do You Support Vending Machines in Your Schools?
Yes - it is okay by me. 2 8.33%
Yes - if the machines are only available to students after the final bell has rung. 5 20.83%
Yes - but let's not limit it to only a single vendor. 4 16.67%
No! - Not under any circumstances do I want vending machines available to my children at school 10 41.67%
Not Sure 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Question The Cola Generation

I found this story today at iwon.com. I was wondering.......

If they wanted to do this in your schools would you support it?

Health Tip
July 16, 2004

The Cola Generation

Soft drinks are bringing hard cash to colleges and high schools across the nation.

Despite opponents who say learning institutions ought not to be promoting junk food, the multi-million dollar benefits of the cola wars between Coke and Pepsi apparently are too good to pass up.

A 1997 survey found that 382 colleges had contracts worth $16.8 million with soft-drink makers, including 62 with Pepsi and 60 with Coke, reports The Hartford Courant. The paper says the larger the school, the bigger the deal. For instance, the University of Minnesota, with 37,000 students, has a 10-year, $28 million deal with Coke.

The report says even high schools are signing contracts to limit vending machines to one company in return for cash and gifts, like sports scoreboards. A new survey of schools is under way and is expected to show wider cola inroads into even more schools, the newspaper reports.

Last edited by Abear; 07-16-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:51 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

An interesting question to be sure. Really, I think a machine stocked with a variety of items, water, juice, and soda, is okay. It does bring money in to the school district, and when I was in school (I'm 36 now) we didn't have a vending machine on campus, but we did have a mini mart right across the street. Kids went over there to get soda, candy, chips etc anyway.

Sarah
Old 07-27-2004, 09:07 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think that kids should be given healthy choices, not just soda. I have seen proposals around here that schools place vending machines loaded with milk, water, juice but not soda. The kids would have access to them whenever they wanted so they would be allowed to take the drinks to class. I don't know if that is a good idea or not--allowing the kids to take drinks to class might be too disruptive. I think it is excellent to offer "healthy" drinks other than soda. After all, the incidence of childhood obesity is rising, so continuing to teach kids about healthy choices is a good idea.

Lynn
Mom to Evan and Ellie
Old 08-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

My son's school has all sorts of vending machines...some has soft drinks, but then other have good snacks, cheese & crackers, peanutbutter crackers, water, juice, milk..many different flavors, ice cream, and one for candy...no gum...they cannot have gum in school.

Their cafeteria has salad bars, ala carte lines, and traditional lunch meals with the famous mystery meat. lol

janet
Old 08-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I agree that they should offer a variety of things...not just soda.

I also think that they should limit the soda machines to the high schools. If the kids in 9th -12th grade arent old enought to decide what to drink, we are in trouble!

I dont believe that they should be allowed to take the food or drink anywhere in school other than the cafeteria or other designated areas. There is no need for sodas in the classroom!

JMHO

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-09-2004, 05:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I feel like as a nation we have gotten in some bad health habits & our health is deteriorating. It is costing us millions & billions of dollars in health cost. Our bodies, especially children's, have no need for soda. I don't think it is unreasonable to remove that temptation from being constantly in front of our children. My family is trying to make healtier choices, but many families will not. This is one good way to help all our kids learn healthier choices.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I too feel that the children are going to get want they want even if they have to skip school to do it. I do not like the idea of drink and snack machines in the schools but I would rather the money go to the school than the children get caught skipping school just to go get a Coke. I also believe it is up to us as parents to teach our children how to eat healthy.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:08 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

No Machines In School~Period`

I worked for about 6 months in a hi school and in a middle school as a sub cook. I was appalled at the thought of using machines to feed our children. If it isn't bad enought that most of the food they eat contain salt, sugar and fat and isn't hi quality, but yet it does nourish, I knew what my DD would not be eating in middle school. She goes charter and they don't use machines to feed the children. Thank heavens.l
I too have heard that schools are using machines as a way to keep money flowing into their schools to pay for after school sports or to pay for something the school needs. Most schools today have no money because our greedy politicians are using whatever money there isn't to feed their pockets. It is a sad day indeed when children become obese because schools need to the money to fund something they need. I just saw a report on the growth of obesity in our children, up 40% in just 20 years. Sad isn't it? I say, can the machines and lets get back to the good ole days of slopping the chow.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

jns131,

I agree there has to be some limits on the type of food that is in the machines..

A good way to make sure your school is having good food for our children is to make sure you are involved with the PTA...and also
attend the board meetings...they are open to the public..this would be a wonderful place to voice your concerns, and maybe get some positive action.

Janet
Old 08-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Janet: Very well said, and I couldn't agree more. More parents HAVE to become involved. Now personally, I don't have a problem of pop in the machines, but I am also trying very hard to teach my daughter to make the proper choices and to show her, through example, that pop is NOT a staple, but more like a candy bar, a treat. Many kids do not have that background to draw from (and who am I to say anyway, as soon as my back is turned, DD is probably guzzling the soda! haha on me). Parents need to be involved in the schools, by PTA/PTO or volunteering or what-have-you. Not only for issues like what is offiered our kids, but for the big things like performance.

Sarah