Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 07-15-2004, 02:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Balancing your time

Balancing your time, using you day well..........

I am having a very hard time feeling like I get much accomplished in a day, or using my time very well. The biggest problem is that I have worked overnight for the past 15 months and, since quitting my job last month, cannot, for the life of me, get used to going to bed when I would normally be going to work!! I worked 11 PM to 7 AM and slept days. Now I feel like vacuuming and cleaning house when it's time to go to bed!! I am awake during the day, nap off and on but just am in a rut as far as getting myself into some sort of schedule (I am able to stay hame for awhile and for that i am SO happy...havn't NOT had to work in ages!!) Eventually though I need to get a job.
I watch Oprah, read the paper, play on Family Corner.all I need now are Bonbons!!!

Does anyone else struggle with this or am I the only one? Do you use your time well?

hugs,train
Old 07-15-2004, 02:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

you are not alone...it is hard to manage time...I feel the same way...only I feel that I am doing for everyone else and not for me.
I am trying to give my 2 teens chores every day...I take care of laundry and cleaning the house...they have to clean their rooms do dishes and empty trash and feed the dog....I watch my grandkids during the day so it is a struggle to get everything accomplished that I need to. If you can't sleep at night do quiet cleaning or organizing...just a thought....or you could force yourself to stay awake and busy during the day and hopefully be able to sleep at night...
Old 07-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Train have you tried to bring your schedule around an hour at a time? they say to do it in increments to get kids back on school scedule at the end of the summer. If it works for kids why shouldnt it work on us. I feel for you about the being up at night though. I dont sleep well to begin with and some nights i sit up half he night because i dread a night of tossing and turning.

I am not a good time manager and never have been. i have really been trying to get into Flylady as i have said on other posts. It weems to be the most sensible for me. i have also looked on other decluttering and homemaking sites as well as reading books. i think i will be combining some of each, but mostly the flylady stuff. It doesnt feel overwhelming when i do things her way. I know of your struggles with time and getting things done.i feel the same way and it reflects in my home. I want a home that Jesus can walk into and say good job my daughter! I will get there because it is his will that i be a wife and mom so he is gonna take me there!

Blessings! SueG
Old 07-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Sue, Thanks for your suggestions. I have been trying to MAKE myself get out of bed at 6:45 and go mallwalking with my dad so I can get back to some sort of normal schedule. This week went pretty good. I got up 3 mornings and let myself sleep in the other 2 which was good for me. I did NOT want to get up but, admittedly, did feel better after I walked.
I just have this huge sense of not accomplishing much but I think sometimes I just don't give myself enough credit. I think that if I looked at what I DID rather than what I did NOT do, I would see it is more than I think. I know I feel better if I get all my chores, errands and prayertime done befroe I get on the computer.

I like your hour by hour suggestion. Maybe I just need to start trying to go to sleep a little earlier each night until I get back to "normal!!"
What parts of the Flylady are workng for you? I found her numerous emails to be too much but I do shine my sink and swish the toilet and get dressed to my shoes everyday!!

Adizkide....You must have tremendous energy taking care of teenagers AND grandchildren!! Bless your heart!!
So, what's a typical day like for you?

hugs,train
Old 07-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Train

I have just started Flylady soooo. I am getting the shining my sink thing and am working on the control journal setup. She just got started from the beggining. The whole idea of someone giving me permission to only do things in 15 min increments was so freeing for me. it is a slow start but is is beggining to work for me. Because i am the farthest thing from a BO as they call it

Baby steps and no guilt when i dont get everything done because there is always tommorow. And if we are really blessed we will just be in Heaven with Jesus tommorow and dont have to worry about housework anymore!! lol For now i just keep prayin that God will make me the best i can be!

xoxox

Blessings! SueG
Old 07-17-2004, 06:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

my typical day starts at 530am with 4 grandkids (all girls) Ariana 7, Autumn 6, Skylar 3, and Samantha 3months...arriving at 7am. Ari does summer school so she gets the bus at 730am. My 14 yr old leaves the house at 8am to work with a neighbor caring for horses. Son gets up and Everyone wants breakfast, THe baby needs to be fed depending on what time she nursed that morning at home. It is real hectic till about 9am...Then they play outside...snack lunch (Ari gets home at 1215pm)...after lunch it is naptime 1 to 3pm is my time...and the baby if she is awake....otherwise it is quiet. Kids get picked up by 6pm.

Melody
Old 07-17-2004, 06:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Oh my goodness, Melody...you really DO have tremendous energy!!! I can imagine that your children are so grateful that you are able to watch the grandkids for them!!!
Be sure to take some time for yourself too, you hear!!

Sue, Oh, I can SO relate to the Flylady routine thing!! I have been trying to just do things in little increments too, when I try at all! Lynette recommended to me the Emilie Barnes books (on home organizing) and I do have them but havn't read them in ages. I plan on getting them out tomorrow and using the ideas from both her books and flylady, get myself on some kind of schedule. I know I will feel better about myself. I USED to keep the house clean and cook and all that stuff. I have just gotten into such a rut though with the schedule I have worked.

hugs,train
Old 07-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Train

I'm right there with you....time management is not working well with me...I also just signed up with flylady but am feeling overwhelmed with all the e-mails. This year I finally started making time for myself . I try and read and I take part in a martial arts class to get fit. Trouble is some of the other things are not getting done. I have3 kids 10,8 and 6 and I run a home daycare with 5 extra kids a day. I spend a lot of time doing planning for crafts, storytime lesson plans, book keeping etc. I like to stay up late too but problem is I have to be up at 5:30 every morning so eventually it catches up with me. I try to go to bed earlier but then I wake up at 2 or 3 in the morning and can not fall back asleep. By the end of the day I'm wiped out...housework whats that??? I have had cleaning ladies but my last just quit...said she found a full time job so now I have to find time to fit that in??? Calgon take me away....................

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 07-18-2004, 04:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Try to stick with Flylady. I have been getting the emails on and off for 18months. Some things have improved, some need to!! But they begin to 'flywash' your brain and you will see that you have made progress. After a while I send my reminders straight to trash can and about once every three months i read them for a week, just to remind me. One day i wll do it properly, but for now I just babystep when i can.

Meg
Old 07-18-2004, 10:40 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Trash canning some of the emails on flylady is what is meant to be. Baby steps are good. you are just supposed to read the title then get rid of the email clutter.

I too have some of Emilies books and some others i have decided to get reading them and see what i can glesn since my brain is more in that mode.

Baby steps and rewarding yourself for them.

Hope you have all had a good weekend.
Blessings! SueG