FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Idle Chit Chat! (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/idle-chit-chat/)
-   -   Balancing your time (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/idle-chit-chat/11208-balancing-your-time.html)

trainlady 07-15-2004 02:45 PM

Balancing your time

Balancing your time, using you day well..........

I am having a very hard time feeling like I get much accomplished in a day, or using my time very well. The biggest problem is that I have worked overnight for the past 15 months and, since quitting my job last month, cannot, for the life of me, get used to going to bed when I would normally be going to work!! I worked 11 PM to 7 AM and slept days. Now I feel like vacuuming and cleaning house when it's time to go to bed!! I am awake during the day, nap off and on but just am in a rut as far as getting myself into some sort of schedule (I am able to stay hame for awhile and for that i am SO happy...havn't NOT had to work in ages!!) Eventually though I need to get a job.
I watch Oprah, read the paper, play on Family Corner.all I need now are Bonbons!!!

Does anyone else struggle with this or am I the only one? Do you use your time well?

hugs,train:daisy: :daisy: :daisy:

adizkide 07-15-2004 02:58 PM

you are not alone...it is hard to manage time...I feel the same way...only I feel that I am doing for everyone else and not for me.
I am trying to give my 2 teens chores every day...I take care of laundry and cleaning the house...they have to clean their rooms do dishes and empty trash and feed the dog....I watch my grandkids during the day so it is a struggle to get everything accomplished that I need to. If you can't sleep at night do quiet cleaning or organizing...just a thought....or you could force yourself to stay awake and busy during the day and hopefully be able to sleep at night...

Gardners5 07-15-2004 03:42 PM

Train have you tried to bring your schedule around an hour at a time? they say to do it in increments to get kids back on school scedule at the end of the summer. If it works for kids why shouldnt it work on us. I feel for you about the being up at night though. I dont sleep well to begin with and some nights i sit up half he night because i dread a night of tossing and turning.

I am not a good time manager and never have been. i have really been trying to get into Flylady as i have said on other posts. It weems to be the most sensible for me. i have also looked on other decluttering and homemaking sites as well as reading books. i think i will be combining some of each, but mostly the flylady stuff. It doesnt feel overwhelming when i do things her way. I know of your struggles with time and getting things done.i feel the same way and it reflects in my home. I want a home that Jesus can walk into and say good job my daughter! I will get there because it is his will that i be a wife and mom so he is gonna take me there!

Blessings! SueG8-)

trainlady 07-16-2004 01:41 PM

Hi Sue, Thanks for your suggestions. I have been trying to MAKE myself get out of bed at 6:45 and go mallwalking with my dad so I can get back to some sort of normal schedule. This week went pretty good. I got up 3 mornings and let myself sleep in the other 2 which was good for me. I did NOT want to get up but, admittedly, did feel better after I walked.
I just have this huge sense of not accomplishing much but I think sometimes I just don't give myself enough credit. I think that if I looked at what I DID rather than what I did NOT do, I would see it is more than I think. I know I feel better if I get all my chores, errands and prayertime done befroe I get on the computer.

I like your hour by hour suggestion. Maybe I just need to start trying to go to sleep a little earlier each night until I get back to "normal!!"
What parts of the Flylady are workng for you? I found her numerous emails to be too much but I do shine my sink and swish the toilet and get dressed to my shoes everyday!!

Adizkide....You must have tremendous energy taking care of teenagers AND grandchildren!! Bless your heart!!
So, what's a typical day like for you?

hugs,train:daisy: :daisy:

Gardners5 07-16-2004 02:12 PM

Hi Train

I have just started Flylady soooo. I am getting the shining my sink thing and am working on the control journal setup. She just got started from the beggining. The whole idea of someone giving me permission to only do things in 15 min increments was so freeing for me. it is a slow start but is is beggining to work for me. Because i am the farthest thing from a BO as they call it

Baby steps and no guilt when i dont get everything done because there is always tommorow. And if we are really blessed we will just be in Heaven with Jesus tommorow and dont have to worry about housework anymore!! lol For now i just keep prayin that God will make me the best i can be!

xoxox

Blessings! SueG8-)

adizkide 07-17-2004 06:22 AM

my typical day starts at 530am with 4 grandkids (all girls) Ariana 7, Autumn 6, Skylar 3, and Samantha 3months...arriving at 7am. Ari does summer school so she gets the bus at 730am. My 14 yr old leaves the house at 8am to work with a neighbor caring for horses. Son gets up and Everyone wants breakfast, THe baby needs to be fed depending on what time she nursed that morning at home. It is real hectic till about 9am...Then they play outside...snack lunch (Ari gets home at 1215pm)...after lunch it is naptime 1 to 3pm is my time...and the baby if she is awake....otherwise it is quiet. Kids get picked up by 6pm.

Melody:)

trainlady 07-17-2004 06:33 PM

Oh my goodness, Melody...you really DO have tremendous energy!!! I can imagine that your children are so grateful that you are able to watch the grandkids for them!!!
Be sure to take some time for yourself too, you hear!!

Sue, Oh, I can SO relate to the Flylady routine thing!! I have been trying to just do things in little increments too, when I try at all! Lynette recommended to me the Emilie Barnes books (on home organizing) and I do have them but havn't read them in ages. I plan on getting them out tomorrow and using the ideas from both her books and flylady, get myself on some kind of schedule. I know I will feel better about myself. I USED to keep the house clean and cook and all that stuff. I have just gotten into such a rut though with the schedule I have worked.

hugs,train:daisy:

debknechtel 07-17-2004 08:49 PM

Hi Train

I'm right there with you....time management is not working well with me...I also just signed up with flylady but am feeling overwhelmed with all the e-mails. This year I finally started making time for myself . I try and read and I take part in a martial arts class to get fit. Trouble is some of the other things are not getting done.:( I have3 kids 10,8 and 6 and I run a home daycare with 5 extra kids a day. I spend a lot of time doing planning for crafts, storytime lesson plans, book keeping etc. I like to stay up late too but problem is I have to be up at 5:30 every morning so eventually it catches up with me. I try to go to bed earlier but then I wake up at 2 or 3 in the morning and can not fall back asleep. By the end of the day I'm wiped out...housework whats that??? I have had cleaning ladies but my last just quit...said she found a full time job so now I have to find time to fit that in??? Calgon take me away....................

megrayau 07-18-2004 04:10 AM

Try to stick with Flylady. I have been getting the emails on and off for 18months. Some things have improved, some need to!! But they begin to 'flywash' your brain and you will see that you have made progress. After a while I send my reminders straight to trash can and about once every three months i read them for a week, just to remind me. One day i wll do it properly, but for now I just babystep when i can.

Meg::: :heart:

Gardners5 07-18-2004 10:40 PM

Trash canning some of the emails on flylady is what is meant to be. Baby steps are good. you are just supposed to read the title then get rid of the email clutter.

I too have some of Emilies books and some others i have decided to get reading them and see what i can glesn since my brain is more in that mode.

Baby steps and rewarding yourself for them.

Hope you have all had a good weekend.
Blessings! SueG8-)

trainlady 07-20-2004 01:21 PM

Well, I made a schedule this weekend and so far...I shouldn't be bragging it's only Tuesday...but I have stuck to it!!
I have to admit I feel very embarrased admitting I have trouble keeping with a schedule when I don't even have children and this should not be a problem in the first place!! I don't know HOW you moms and grandma's keep up. ( Now I wanted children, don't take me wrong. It wasn't in God's plan for me to be able to have them though. )

I am going to get better at this though.....am slowly getting out of this rut and getting back to a good sleeping pattern.
Thanks for letting me jibberjabber on.............

hugs,train:daisy: :daisy:

Gardners5 07-20-2004 03:19 PM

Oh Train congratulations on getting through Tuesday!! You go girl! its baby steps honey baby steps!!! God only gives us one minute at a time so that is how we should travel life.

Blessings Sweetie!
SueG8-)

megrayau 07-20-2004 11:44 PM

Trainlady, don't stress! Pre ids my house always looked like a disaster and i struggled to get anything done. With one baby things improved because I stayed home when she slept, which was a lot. Then she became a toddler and we didn't need to be home as much, but there was now extyra mess, too. Then number two came along and the mess grew. Now they are 10 and 12 and I KNOW I will catch up one day soon!!
Seriously though, kids or not, schedules are tricky for some of us. Love who you are and try to change, one habit at a time!

Keep going with the schedule.

Megray

megrayau 01-01-2007 05:18 PM

Bump!!

ajrsmom 01-01-2007 06:47 PM

Donna, Can I ask why you want to get on a so-called "normal" schedule? Do you feel as though you are fighting your natural body clock when trying to adjust to a morning schedule? Some people, like my DH, are naturally night owls. Thank goodness he has always worked 3rd shift. When he is off, things are always off kilter for us. If we didn't have kids, I could easily change my lifestyle to fit into his schedule.

Yes, it takes some getting used to. Our world certainly doesn't recognize 3rd shift workers. But with some changes, we have managed to work things out quite well.

I hope that you are able to get settled and get going on a schedule that you like--if not, just let me know and I will send you some bon-bons right away! ;) ;)

ajrsmom 01-01-2007 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajrsmom
Donna, Can I ask why you want to get on a so-called "normal" schedule? Do you feel as though you are fighting your natural body clock when trying to adjust to a morning schedule? Some people, like my DH, are naturally night owls. Thank goodness he has always worked 3rd shift. When he is off, things are always off kilter for us. If we didn't have kids, I could easily change my lifestyle to fit into his schedule.

Yes, it takes some getting used to. Our world certainly doesn't recognize 3rd shift workers. But with some changes, we have managed to work things out quite well.

I hope that you are able to get settled and get going on a schedule that you like--if not, just let me know and I will send you some bon-bons right away! ;) ;)

Oh, I didn't check out the dates on this one!

Ok, Donna, have you come around to the "normal" people? LOL!

DeBora4BobbyL 01-01-2007 07:12 PM

Quote:

Does anyone else struggle with this or am I the only one? Do you use your time well?
I just noticed this thread. I want you to know that naturally, I am the most disorganized person ever! I learned a few tips that may help you out.

One thing I do is buy a small spiral notebook. It can fit in your purse, bed side table, glove box, or anywhere. Then, when things encounter my mind, I write them down in my little book. I run out of eggs, I write them down in a "grocery" page that I start in my little book. Then, if I discover that I need to send a birthday card or something, I write that down on a "to do" page that I start. I add to this pages until I go to the store or whatever. I have found that writing down goals helps a person to achieve them. You can also write down a "rewards" page for yourself when you accomplish some of the goals you have set for yourself, like sweets! ;)

It may sound like a lot of work, but it actually buys you a lot more time because you won't be making extra trips to the store, forgetting to do things, or even dealing with stress and anxiety at bedtime because you didn't get things done.

Another thing that I do is color coding. I use colored folders or notebooks for information. You can put insurance and automobile things in one color, vacation information in another color, and so on. I use this for school. When I tool lower-level classes, I put English in orange, math in purple, and so on. Every semester I did all math type classes in purple so that at a glance, I knew which notebook went with which class. It saved time since I did not have to read the front to find out what to pack for school that day. I lay things out the night before with my to-do list since it gives me an extra boost when I wake up. I day is ready and waiting for me. It won't matter whether or not you are a morning person or an evening person. You can plan your next day any time.

One more thing, I have also discovered that the less responsibilities that I have, the less I get done. Does that make sense? For example, between semesters when I have so much time, I keep thinking that I will do the dishes later or do the laundry later because I have so much "later" available. During school, when I have maybe an hour or two to cook, eat, and take a shower, I know I have NO choice but to do things as I have time and to plan a day and time to do them! A friend once told me that she tells herself that company is coming in 2 hours to get herself to get going! lol

I hope some of these suggestions were of some help.

trainlady 01-01-2007 07:39 PM

You know, it was really interestingto read this old thread. I am in such a different place now!
Oh Goodness, this brought back memories of working that overnight shift three years ago!
It's interesting to go back and read these old threads!

Anyway, yea, I'm "normal" now! LOL!!

I do a lot of what you suggested DeBora, as far as writing things down and keeping files. I am pretty organized that way. I have gotten myself pretty organized over the past couple years. I had to or else I would spend ALL my time on the computer and get nothing else done! LOL!!

Nowadys I have me prayertime, do all my chores , cooking and any errands I need to get done before I get on the computer. Family Corner is my relaxation/ treat time when everything else is done. I allow myself one day a week, typically Thuirsday, to have an all day computer day!

I've become pretty organized, even with the computer. I have birthday lists, addresses, etc in notebooks.

Compared to a few years ago, I feel my time is balanced much better now.

hugs, train

DeBora4BobbyL 01-01-2007 07:41 PM

Donna, did you start this thread when you were working at Denny's?

trainlady 01-01-2007 07:43 PM

Hey DeBora, looks like we posted at the same time!

No, this was nearly four years ago when I was working an overnight shift taking care of a woman who was disabled.

hugs, train

DeBora4BobbyL 01-01-2007 07:45 PM

Oic, I remember when you were at that restaurant job, that boss had you in a wreck. She was so not nice!

trainlady 01-01-2007 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yea, she sure did! Have me in a wreck, that is!

I feel much more balanced in my life now. A typical day for me is
Wake up at 8:30
wash my hair
prayertime
breakfast
chores
errands
Watch Judging Amy and have lunch
maybe an hour of computer time around 3 if it is not my day to deliver dinner to mom and dad
Make dinner
wash dishes
watch a little TV or read
bubblebath
computer in the evening
bed at about 11

Thursdays is my computer day
Saturdays is date day.
Sundays is church and either we go over to mom and dads or they come over here.

I have a very organized desk, filing system, etc. I never had too much difficulty in that area, it was getting a schedule that would work for me.
I try to do one big chore or project a month, like windows, clean a closet etc.

The projects I need to work on in the next few months are:
linen cuboard
big closet
garage.

Having made myself, over the past few years, get chores and errands done before computer has made all the difference in balancing my time. That, and I stopped fighting my body clock. Before I worked the overnight schedule I was an early to bed and early to rise and never could get my body back to that sleeping pattern after working overnights.
Now, I get up at 8:30 naturally and I quit trying to get up at 6 a long time ago!! LOL!!

hugs, train

DeBora4BobbyL 01-01-2007 08:17 PM

You go girl!