Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 07-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Old Fashioned Living

In what ways do you live an "old fashioned lifestyle?' Make your own breads, canning, sewing, gardening, stockpiling, etc....Or would you consider yourself a total 21st century type woman.........or a mixture of both? In what ways do you wish your life was more simple?

Hugs,train
Old 07-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, I can and can and can, LOL. I dry fruits, herbs, make fruit roll ups, bake bread, and make pasta. I don't make all the bread and pasta, but it is good to make ahead and freeze, then take out and use when you want. I still want to take a day and make a bunch of pasta to freeze. Been a while since I did that.
I sew, and quilt. I have made most of the draperies in our home. Made matching chair cushions and placemats, and appliance covers. Made throw pillows,too.
I do counted cross stitch and embroidery,too. I like all sorts of crafts, too. A little calligraphy.
My husband grows a little garden outside. I can't do much of that due to my back.
Stockpiling, for sure ! I buy most everything on sale and store it. Why pay full price when you know you will need it?
With my canning, I can enough of each type of food to last a year. Each year I try something new, too.
My motto: It's like money in the bank !!!
My dad taught me, get all you can, and can all you get !

I love this kind of lifestyle.
We love being home and just relaxing, not being so busy.
What would I change? Oh, not a whole lot. Mostly it is just hard because my husband works a different shift EVERY week. But, I am thankful that we are provided for.
Maybe hire a cleaning lady would be a good idea !!!
Old 07-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I like simple times because it seems there was no rush but I am thankful for a toaster that don't do one side at a time and have to be flipped. I like modern appliances to use but it would be nice to hide them and have antique one setting around for show. You know, have the look of the old days but not all the work. I do bake bread and stuff from time to time but if I had to do it ,I don't know. It is nice to have milk and eggs in the frig and not in the cow and chickens. I guess I want to pick and choose. Don't want them out houses back ...know that for sure. And have to have electric,phone and computer.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

A bit of both

I enjoy growing my own veggies, having fresh chicken eggs, hanging laundry, baking from scratch etc... But couldnt do without a washing machine!! Or phone, or computer! I like a simpler, slower lifestyle. I used to work for a fortune 500 company in CA, and my whole life was a rat race. After my folks passed away, there really wasnt anything keeping me in CA. Jobs come and go- I wanted a slower pace of life. I had a friend inMontana, and I packed up my kids and off we went. Im now in North Dakota, Invested in a cattle ranch,in the middle of nowwhere, and they earn my living for me. We live very simple, get by on little and the bigger cities drive me crazy now!!
Old 07-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I wish you ladies were my neighbors! I don't have ANY of those skills!!! You sound like you live amazingly wondeful, fulfilling lives!!!

hugs,train
Old 07-15-2004, 04:21 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I would love to learn to live a simpler life. I wouldnt do without my phones and computer though/ i want to lear to do more canning. i can make jam like there is no tommorow when i get the motivation, but there is only so much you can do with peach jam lol. I keep lookin at all the tomatoes that DH has planted in the back yard this year. Thats a lot of tomatoes1 I am afrais of not canning them the right way. i suppose i could freeze them. i use my freezer a lot. Stockpiling is the only way i survive around here. i signed up on a website a while back to math up the coupons to the sales. They do all th hard work i just cut out the coupons. I have had lots of stuff in my pantry tha helped us through a tough time recently. Also have lots of meat in that freezer that a friend raised so it was real cheap. Getting back into the swing of cooking more from scratch. you would never have thought of popping a burrito from the freezer when i was a kid. Now i am back to makin my own. Tryin to get back to at least some of the basics around here. Even using the good ol shredded bar soap to do the wash. Its so much cheaper.

SueG
Old 07-15-2004, 06:08 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Gardner5, I can tell you all the info you need to safely can your tomatoes. I can give you recipes for salsa, and all sorts of stuff.
Sure, you can freeze them,too.
I work as a Food Safety Advisor at the local county extension office, so that is what I am trained it. Let me know if I can be of help to you.
I warn you , it gets addictive, too. I can over 300 jars of assorted things each year for my husband and I. A big variety of things.
I stockpile, too. You never know when you will need those items due to an emergency. Besides, it is so hard to cook if you are not stocked up on things. Also, I am able to help others thru difficult times with my things on hand.
This is nice reading about others lives and the fine things you do.
Trainlady, come on up, and I will show you how to can! Green beans will be ready in a week or so. You could go on up to Tacoma from here, too. Only a few hours from here. I know that is your hometown.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Oh Linda Lou that woule be just great1 I made some home made tomatoe sauce once but was a fraid to use it. I followed the directions and everything but it still scared me. My mom instilled that in me lol. she was one of the ones who had a kid in her neighborhood die from eating home canned stuff as a kid. i am trying hard to do the make it yourself thing. Got any ideas for frozen strawberries and peaches? Dont have time to turn them to jam yet and they get so mushy when you thaw them.

Since you are the one with the answers LOl why do we need to use meat by a certain time? is it just to prevent freezer burn or what? What could happen if we did use it? i have a deep freeze and am catching up on using the meat in there and it all seems ok.

SueG
Old 07-15-2004, 07:05 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sue, I haven't lost a soul yet to canning. If you follow the safe recipes and methods, your food will be fine. You can also boil it for 10 minutes to destroy any toxins if you are concerned. We do recommend the boiling with low acid foods like green beans, etc.
As for the peaches and stawberries, I have a friend who made peach salsa and also strawberry butter. The strawberry butter was wonderful to me. Not overly sweet. Nice texture to it.
It shoud be fine with frozen berries. As for the peach salsa, I am not sure the texture would be as great as fresh peaches, but should still be good, if you like that sort of thing. Fruit salsas are getting very popular.
I will see what else I can come up with. I also have heard of strawberry bread, but have not tried baking any.
Normally I can my peaches and make peach jam.

Yes, with the meat it is mostly for the freezer burn issue. Also, it does lose nutritional value the longer it is frozen. Freezer burned food will not make you ill, but taste yucky.
Here is some info for you:
Frozen Meat
Meat can be stored for longer periods of time if frozen at -10°F or below. After the meat is frozen, maintain the temperature at 0°F or lower. Most chest-type and side-by-side freezers are able to maintain this temperature while most ice compartments in refrigerators do not. Therefore, it is not recommended to store meat in the ice compartment.

Limit freezer storage time on all meats to maintain their optimum quality and freshness. Freezing meat will not improve its quality, but will retain its natural color, flavor, texture and nutritional value.

Thaw frozen meats slowly in the refrigerator, allowing approximately 3 to 7 hours per pound depending on the size and thickness of the cut. Microwave ovens can also be used to defrost meat. Frozen meat need not be thawed before preparation, but cooking time will increase by 15 to 20 minutes per pound.

Refreezing of meats is generally not recommended although it is not harmful. Refreezing meat may result in lower quality and the loss of some of its natural juices. Partially thawed meats, with ice crystal,s still evident, can be refrozen without a major loss of quality.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It just depends on which country I am in as to how "old fashioned" we get

In Mexico we draw water and heat it on the stove. We mix it in 5 gallon buckets and then bathe in the bathroom. Drain... no shower as of yet.

Have a potty with no plumming so we use a bucket of water to flush too!

Clothes are washed by hand with ZOTE soap in a stone sink
If I do "wash" in the machine I still have to rinse by hand.

Here in the States we

hang clothes
use a wood stove ( in the winter only obviously )
bake bread ( again only in the winter)

I wanted to learn to can and freeze with no luck. June was a bad month with everything that happened and well I didn't get the stawberries or black raspberries
I do have 6 tomato plants and still want to learn to can

I have a huge freezer in the basement and I need to start making use of it I suppose.

Maggy and I tried to teach ourselves to sew and that didn't work out well!

I really like the simple life.
Ya know with all of the extra things in Mexico we have to do without conviences one would think we have less time, but actually we have a lot more with our families!

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore