Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 07-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

christian novels

I would like to read some good christian novels.
Anyone have any particular authors they like? I havn't read ANY so any suggestions would be most appreciated!!

hugs,train
Old 07-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

There are several Christian Authors whose books I love. 2 of my all time favs are: Janette Oke and Stephanne Grace Whitson. They both write novels that are set in the late 1800's.
I also like Dee Henderson. Her books are set in the currant time and are mystery, intregue and romance all mixed together with a Christian perspective.
I know there are several others that I have read and liked but I'm drawing a blank right now Hope these give you some ideas.
Iris
Old 07-07-2004, 02:52 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Some of my favorites are:
Terri Blackstock
Lori Wick
Lori Copeland
Harry Kraus
Frank Peretti

Some others are:
Kristen Heitzman
Bill Myers
Michael Phillips

You could just go to your local library and ask if they have a list of Christian fiction authors or search on their catalog system for "Christian fiction".

I'll have more for you later.

"My children are not responsible for my personal happiness. If they are noisy or tired, it is inconvenient only if I make it so." ~ Celia Straus
Old 07-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I second Janette Oke books. They are so good. On Hallmark channel they had the movie Love Comes Softly. I watched it a couple times, it was so good.
I keep looking for the books at the thrift stores, but all they have are secular romance stories that I will not read.
The library in the town we lived at before had a nice selection, but I never go here because it seems so far away to the library.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Post Christian Novels

;-) I have 3 books lately by Karen Kingsbury. The Books were:

1. Oceans Apart
2. Gideon's Gift
3. A Time to Dance (currently reading) All of them except Oceans Apart were at the public library. These were some of the first Christian novels that I have read and I have truly enjoyed them- some of the best reading I have ever experienced.

Another author someone told me of is Anne Rivers,Also another person told me of a "Stephanie Plum" series by an author by the last mane od Evanovich....

Hope this helps Trainlady

Unknown
Old 07-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Tommy Tenney just wrote his first novel called Finding Favor with the King. They are also going to make a movie of it. He has written numerous other books, however, this is his first novel. It's the story of Esther. I am about to start reading it this week.

Old 07-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Train...
What kind of Christian Novel are you wanting?

There is Frank Peretti who was mentioned.. he is adventure/thriller type! The Oath, Prophet , and I forget the other 3 but those books had me on the edge of my seat so to speak! I couldn't put the book down!

Beverly Lewis is wonderful also! Almost all of her books take you in to Amish life! There was The Postcard,The Crossroad, The Shunning,The Confession, The Reckoning, The Covenant, The Betrayal, and I am currently reading The Sacrifice!

Futuristic (spelling?) Fiction is Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins
The Left Behind Series! I really liked the kids set as well. The characters all fit together from both series. You feel you know them!

Gilbert Morris wrote historical fiction! They also have romance and adventure! I am on book 27 in the 30 book series! Again you feel like you know the family! Starting at the Mayflower fighting for religious freedom , all through the civil war, founding of the West, gold rush, a trip to Alaska, the Spanish-American war, Ellis Island , a trip on Titanic, missions and slums in NY, pre-WWI, missonary trips to Africa and the Amazon, it is just an EXCELLENT series and I highly recommend it to all of you! I mean the author gives quite a bit of historical background and footage complete with a fictional family who has real situations. The family has to work through happiness and pain and find the Lord through it all. Many of the Winslows had to find out the hard way that God has no grandchildren and had to discover God's unconditional love on their own!

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore
Old 07-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks for all your great suggestions. I've never really read any christain novels so all your suggestions are helpful!! I think I am going to start with Dee Henderson becasue I like the more current times and then Bev Lewis because I enjoy reading about the Amish lifestyle. Are her books a series or can I just pick up any book?
WOW, Morelia..... you are on the 27th book of a 30 book series!! You Go Girl!!!!! Seriously though, his historical fiction books sound very interesting....Maybe I will look for his books at the libary,too. I read a lot of christian Non Fiction but never thought of christian fiction until recently!!

Thanks for all your suggestions!!

hugs,train
Old 07-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just finished reading "The Red Tent". It was very good. It is a fiction story about Dinah, Jacob's daughter. Happy reading with all the suggestions!
Diane
Old 07-27-2004, 01:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Morelia,
I just finished "The Shunning" and I loved it!! Dh was laughing at me trying to make out some of the german words and pronunciations!! What a surprise ending to find out Daniel was still ALIVE!!!!

Thanks for telling me about her books! I have another one to start now, "The redemption of Sara Cain."

Thanks, train