Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 07-02-2004, 06:45 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Post family in the oil field

hi! I am wondering if anyone has family or friends who work in the oil field? My husband does and is gone 14 days and then home for 14!!!! It's not as bad as it may sound, with 4 kids, crafting, and work we stay busy and happy most of the time!! My kids are: 2 boys almost 17, a girl 5, and a boy 4!! We have a routine for each day and that helps! I work at a swimming pool as does one of my sons, so we are able to swim everyday, and the pool that we work at is all hot springs mineral water so it is very good for you!! My little ones recently learned to swim so it is nice that they don't have to wear life jackets anymore!! There are 2 slides there and 4 hot tubs as well so it is nice to soak after a long day!! My husband has been in the oil field since he was 16, and is now 39!! Our kids have been born into it and one of my older boys plans to follow his dads footsteps! He has another son who recently ( 2 months now!) entered the same career choice!! My other 17 year old rides broncs in the rodeo and is getting ready to leave today for a rodeo in Montana for the 4th of July weekend. I'll be on pins and needles until he comes back home safely!! Have a good day, Mary
Old 07-03-2004, 08:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi momto4!

First, let me tell you that I moved your thread to the Just Gabbin' forum so that it will get better exposure.

My DH is in the oil field business. The exception is that mine is not on a set schedule. My DH works for a company that goes in and repairs rig when certain equipment on them are down.

Towards the end of April and into May, my DH was in Canada for about 2 weeks, and then in Trinidad for about 3-4 weeks. (I can't remember exactly )

When my DH leaves (as he did on this past Wednesday night), he can be gone for just a day or two or as long as 6 weeks. (only one time has he been gone longer than 6 weeks but the company paid for us to go see him as he was working on a rig in a shipyard in Mississippi)

We have a 20 y.o. DD and two DS...ages 10 & 12. Actually, DD is from my first marriage. Her Dad passed away when she was
4 1/2 yrs old.

The two DS are basically used to it as DH was in the Navy before this. In the Navy, he was gone on the submarine for 3 months at a time....3 months in and then 3 months out.

I don't work outside the home right now. Shortly after my DH got out of the Navy and we moved , my beloved MIL passed away. I am now the primary care giver to my 84 y.o. (85 in August) FIL.

We don't have a set routine when DH is gone. For my two DS, I think it is better as it keeps them on their toes.

Where does your DH work at in the oil field???

I hope your DS does well in the rodeo.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

family in oil field

My DH is a Tool Pusher working in Colorado!! He will be home tonight for (hopefully) 18 days!! My Dad was in the Navy for 23 years most of it gone as well on subs!! After the Navy Career, he too worked in the Oil Field so, it helps me to be sure that my kids will grow up to be ok as I don't think I have done so badly! LOL My DS will be home tomorrow night, so I'll let you know how he does!! Have a nice day!!
Old 07-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Mary ..

My DH just retired from being on Exploration Rigs He worked as an electronics engineer. .. he has been all over the world, North Sea, Africa. Brazil, Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico. His shift would run anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks depending on location.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 07-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

oil field

My DH really wants to go overseas very badly!! He has been talking about going to Russia so hopefully he'll get that chance!! I think that it would be an awesome experience for him!
Old 07-04-2004, 03:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Where abouts in WY are youMom24?MyDH used to live and work in WY years ago. He was working on constuction sites of some sort driving a huge peice of equipment.
Best of luck to your bronc rider! My 17yo son started riding bulls last year. Were going to a PRCA rodeo in Bismarck tonite, 2 friends of ours ( sons of friends really) are saddle bronc riding in it.
Those hot springs are really neat. We had one near where we lived in Montana- called Lost Trail Hotsprings. It would be hot even in the winter, and they had a cover on it so you could go in the winter. How fun to work at such a place.
Welcome aboard!
Old 07-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

oil field

we live in Thermopolis!! It is great fun to work there!! We lived up in Montana before this, for 7 mos., then came back here! We have lived here for 4 years total!! My DS should get home tonight from Roundup Montana, of course he hasn't called or anything!! I wish that I could have gone to watch him, but, he took our videocam and a friend is recording it! Our rodeo here starts today as well, so maybe he can stay home and ride now!!
Old 07-04-2004, 09:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Overseas assignments have their pros and cons... the bonuses are the pros, but on the con side, they are away for longer period of time, sometimes up to 4 weeks at a time....depending on where they are working.. Tool Pusher on a land rig and tool pusher on an exploration rig are quite different experiences. But my DH says with his experience, he could probably easily work an exploration rig out in the water.... the money at sea is excellent!

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."

Last edited by Jeannie; 07-04-2004 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

oil field

my DH works with a few Tool Pushers now that have been offshore and he says that they do things very differently as well!! Some of their ways are very helpful on land and he really appreciates the new ideas!! I think right now that we have the 2 little ones, 30 days would be a very long time, but, if he really wanted to go, I think I would encourage him to go as I wouldn't want to hold him back from the opportunity!!
Old 07-05-2004, 05:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

DH lived in Evanston (sp)?

And it was an oil field he worked machinery on! He said there were some hot springs near himin the bear tooth mtns.
Interesting. How did your son do MOMto4? Our friends rode but didnt place first. THe one left right after his ride to go to another rodeo in Utah. Lots of rodeos starting this weekend.
What part of Montana did you live in?
We lived inDarby Mt for several years, my DH was born and raised in Corvallis. thats on the very western side.