Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 06-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Has anyone else been invaded with highjackers like About:Blank?

I am at the end of my rope when it comes to dealing with this problem. Our computer has been taken over by the new strain of highjackers that are out there now. ( You can read about some of it on cnn.com). This highjackers are invading website that are even considered safe too. They are called About:Blank, Coolweb Search, CoolWWW and ar. atwola.....they ones that Ive found so far.

It is taking over my homepage, sending me tons of spam email ( which I think is part of it spreading through the computer), taking over my search bar.......UGH!!!

I have downloaded so many things that are supposed to help get rid of them but they cant wipe it out! It is all over my registry now!

In the past few days, I have probably looked at 10 sites that are known to help fix this problem, updated everything that I can think of to help in protecting the computer have run AdAware, CWShredder, SpyBot Search and Destroy, Hijack This and Spysweeper at least 100 times!!

Ive checked into taking my computer into a shop to try to fix it .....it will cost either $60.00 to run the spyware eraser or if they cant fix it that way, it will be $80.00 to completely clean out my computer and re-install Windows XP and then I will lose everything that I dont want to save ( but if I save it, there is no guarantee that it wont infect my computer again).

My brain is so fried over stressing about this that I could sit down and cry & scream at the same time.

Has anyone else had to deal with this lately? Looks like this latest strain started in April and it keeps getting stronger everyday. There cases run from mild to very strong and your Antivirus protection probably wont pick it up---although you should be sure to keep this updated all of the time!!!

UGH!!!! I hate to spend the money on this right now but I want my computer back!!! Im scheduled to take it in tomorrow and then I should have it back by Wed. Im still looking for some miracle to save me from taking it in.

If anyone can help me with this, I would be forever in debt to you!!!!!

Thanks,
Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-27-2004, 10:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I guess I am lucky. Late last week, I noticed something weird happening..... couldn't really put my finger on it so I spent the $19.00 that McAfee wanted to upgrade my firewall.

Since then, I have recieved countless notices of some person(s) trying to "hit" my computer.

Do you have any type of anti-virus software?? If you do, go to their website like I went to McAfee's and see if they offer you any kind of cheaper deal because you already have some of their software.

Good Luck!

((((HUGS))))
Old 06-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks for the hug!!

We have Norton Antivirus running all of the time. Weve updated it as much as we can. Ive been told since we have a trojan horse and highjackers and not a virus, that most of the time your Antivirus wont pick it up ....and ours didnt.

The trouble that Im having now is getting rid of the darn stuff now that it is embedded into the system.

Im seeing no other way out other than taking it to get cleaned up.

One thing, Ive learned a whole lot about the inner workings of my computer and using IE. Hopefully there wont be a next time for this. After fixing this, we will definitely be looking for a strong firewall. Any suggestions or do you think I should just update that through Norton too?

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by ajrsmom
Ive been told since we have a trojan horse and highjackers and not a virus, that most of the time your Antivirus wont pick it up ....and ours didnt.

So its caused by a Trojan????

My McAfee "caught", stopped and cleaned a trojan off my computer at least 3 times yesterday!

If I were you, I'd contact Norton and see what they have to say - or have you already done that???
Old 06-28-2004, 04:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

There is a nasty virus out there designed to give hackers access to your personal information. You can read about it here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Jun25.html

Here is a link to download an alternative browser. The experts recommend that you DO NOT USE INTERNET EXPLORER for the time being. It is very vulnerable to this virus. The Mozilla browser is easy to install and it will import your favorites from IE.

www.mozilla.org

Just save the file to wherever you save your downloads, and click to start
the download. Choose COMPLETE setup and say YES when it asks if you want to make it your default browser.

To set your home page, go to EDIT, then PREFERENCES. In the middle of the box you will see an area to put in the URL of your favorite home page. (for example:
http://www.familycorner.com )
Old 06-28-2004, 08:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks Barb!! I will look into the other browser when we get it back from the shop.

Lets see..... Ive been told to use a firewall, a pop-up blocker and now a new browser. HHMMM.....looks like IE has a lot of holes in it.

Thanks for the article too. Im going to read it now and check out what they are saying.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-28-2004, 08:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

BTW, Cindy, This thing has taken over and wont let me get into my Norton to contact anyone!!!

GGGRRRR!!!!!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 07-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We couldnt completely wipe out the highjackers and trojans so we opted to wipe the computer clean and then re-format it.

A lot of work but at least for now, we will be clean again.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 07-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Yes, Internet Explorer has a lot of security holes in it. Sounds like you had to find that out the hard way. I have been using Mozilla these past couple of days and it's pretty easy to get used to.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Boy, Talk about learning the hard way!! Yes we did!

In fact, Im on hold with my internet service right now as Im typing trying to get my email acct back to normal and working again.

Oh what a trying time this has been!!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus