Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 05-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Meanest Mother

THE MEANEST MOTHER
By Bobbie Pingaro (1967)

I had the meanest mother in the whole world.

While other kids ate candy for breakfast, I had to have cereal, eggs or toast. When others had cokes and candy for lunch, I had to eat a sandwich. As you can guess, my supper was different than the other kids' also.

But at least, I wasn't alone in my sufferings. My sister and two brothers had the same mean mother as I did.

My mother insisted upon knowing where we were at all times. You'd think we were on a chain gang. She had to know who our friends were and where we were going. She insisted if we said we'd be gone an hour, that we be gone one hour or less--not one hour and one minute. I am nearly ashamed to admit it, but she actually struck us. Not once, but each time we had a mind of our own and did as we pleased. That poor belt was used more on our seats than it was to hold up Daddy's pants. Can you imagine someone actually hitting a child just because he disobeyed? Now you can begin to see how mean she really was.

We had to wear clean clothes and take a bath. The other kids always wore their clothes for days. We reached the height of insults because she made our clothes herself, just to save money. Why, oh why, did we have to have a mother who made us feel different from our friends?

The worst is yet to come. We had to be in bed by nine each night and up at eight the next morning. We couldn't sleep till noon like our friends. So while they slept, my mother actually had the nerve to break the child-labor law. She made us work. We had to wash dishes, make beds, learn to cook and all sorts of cruel things. I believe she laid awake at night thinking up mean things to do to us.

She always insisted upon us telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, even if it killed us - and it nearly did.

By the time we were teen-agers, she was much wiser, and our life became even more unbearable. None of this tooting the horn of a car for us to come running. She embarrassed us to no end by making our dates and friends come to the door to get us. If I spent the night with a girlfriend, can you imagine she checked on me to see if I were really there. I never had the chance to elope to Mexico. That is if I'd had a boyfriend to elope with. I forgot to mention, while my friends were dating at the mature age of 12 and 13, my old fashioned mother refused to let me date until the age of 15 and 16. Fifteen, that is, if you dated only to go to a school function. And that was maybe twice a year. Through the years, things didn't improve a bit. We could not lie in bed, "sick" like our friends did, and miss school. If our friends had a toe ache, a hangnail or serious ailment, they could stay home from school. Our marks in school had to be up to par. Our friends' report cards had beautiful colors on them, black for passing, red for failing. My mother being as different as she was, would settle for nothing less than ugly black marks.

As the years rolled by, first one and then the other of us was put to shame. We were graduated from high school. With our mother behind us, talking, hitting and demanding respect, none of us was allowed the pleasure of being a drop-out.

My mother was a complete failure as a mother. Out of four children, a couple of us attained some higher education. None of us have ever been arrested, divorced or beaten his mate. Each of my brothers served his time in the service of this country. And whom do we have to blame for the terrible way we turned out? You're right, our mean mother. Look at the things we missed. We never got to march in a protest parade, nor to take part in a riot, burn draft cards, and a million and one other things that our friends did.

She forced us to grow up into God-fearing, educated, honest adults. Using this as a background, I am trying to raise my three children. I stand a little taller and I am filled with pride when my children call me mean.

Because, you see, I thank God, He gave me the meanest mother in the whole world.

Copyright 1967 Bobbie Pingaro. Permission is granted to send this to others, but not for commercial purposes.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:18 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

the meanest mother!!

i will pass it on!!
Old 01-07-2015, 03:00 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Awesome!

Aside from the belt being used to punish, this earns a thumbs-up from me! Too bad our world today doesn't have more mean mothers.

Signed, another mean mother and proud of it.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:12 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I was giving thought to what fun it would be for those who raised children to do a re-write of this using your own words and methods and ways of child-rearing!

Anyone game?
Old 02-03-2015, 11:46 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

The Meanest Mother
By Lindsay G (1992)

My mom is the meanest mom in the whole wide world! And I have five baby brothers and sisters to back up my words, too!

Each and every morning (school days), mom comes in and wakes us up, no matter how tired we were. She has us all get ready for school while she makes breakfast. Syrup is about the only sweet thing we are allowed to enjoy when it comes to breakfast, aside from 100% 9good for us) orange juice, and dare we turn our noses up at what mom serves. And mom always makes us eat, too... unlike other neighbourhood kids that get to sleep-in, be late for school, and leave home without putting something in their tummies.

When afterschool arrives, mom is waiting for us, and as we enter the house one-by-one, mom reminds us about undressing from our dressy school attire and into our play-clothes. We always have to change out of our nice clothes, but all of my friends get to lounge around in whatever they want to, and most don't even own play clothes. Mom also makes us hang up our school clothes in the closet, and to ensure we adhere to her rules, she performs regular room checks to make sure we follow her rules, and look out if we don't! How mean is that?

Mom also makes surprise telephone calls to my friends moms to see if we really are where we tell her we are going to be. None of my friends moms do that. Makes us feel like such little kids... and mom also lives by curfews... special times when we have to be home, and we don't dare deviate from the time mom says. Tisk, tisk, tisk... always so early on weeknights, and not much later on weekends.

My mom also makes us older kids march our own washed clothes out to the backyard clothesline when they need drying. Can you believe that? Her excuse is, the electric tumble dryer is too expensive to run in the Summer months, and then she says, "clothesline drying is how everybody used to do it... no one had electric dryers when I was growing up". The stories she tells us. I think she makes them up.

My mom was an old-fashioned 1960's/1970's babysitter, and because of the fact, mom made us wear cloth diapers when we were babies. How mean is that? Embarrassing cloth diapers! Diapers always hanging on the clothesline outside for all to see! No one uses cloth diapers anymore! When my second oldest baby brother was born, mom taught me how to care for him, including helping change his diapers and do feedings, and other baby things, too. None of my friends had to go through that, and the one friend that did, well... her mom used Pampers diapers.

When I asked my mom if we could use Pampers diapers, mom flat-out told me, "NO". Mom even makes me babysit the babies, too. Them in their rubber pants, and me having to dunk their dirty diapers up and down in toilet, and fold them and pin them. I'm glad my younger sister has to help!

Mom is also good at handing down spankings, too! Owie! Those spankings really smart! Mom spanks us on the spot when we misbehave, no matter where we are, and dare one of us act-up while we are out, BIG TROUBLE! Because when we get back home again, mom marches whoever was being bad straight down to the bathroom, then once inside, she closes the door behind her which means business. We know to behave or else. My friends can't believe my mom is so mean! My friends moms just yell loud when they're mad, and some of my friends moms are never even home to yell (or spank). How great that would be... no mean mom always at home to boss us around.

When we get sick at school and have to come home, mom is waiting for us at the door. Within a few minutes, she has us stripped out of our school clothes and in our pyjamas, and in an instant, were tucked in bed. My friends on the other-hand, well... if they suffer illness at school, get to come home to a cold dark house with no mom around, and they get to lounge around watching TV and other fun stuff like that. And they aren't made to sip hot homemade soup either!

Lunch-hour at school is especially hard for us kids, watching all the other kids buying pizza from the school cafeteria... eating all sorts of fun packaged things... and all we ever get is boring homemade wholesome food and snacks and things. And some kids don't even join us in the lunchroom to eat. They just go outside to play. How lucky is that having a mom that never packs a lunch for you to carry and eat!

Suppertime in our house is no better... always at 4:30 sharp, no matter where we are or what we are doing or who we are with. We always have to be home in time for supper (no excuses). I hate our family suppers, all of us sitting around together, eating, talking, and mom always serving up vegetables and healthy things that are good for us. What mom does that other than a mean mom.

No fun pre-packaged stuff in our house either, unlike other neighbourhood kids get to eat. And can you believe it... on the occasion when friends of ours come over for supper, they always thanks my mom over and over again for such a lovely meal. I think there is something wrong with them... I really do, because no one thanks someone for vegetables and good food to eat. It's as if their mom never feed them properly, or maybe they never get to enjoy good things to eat... but there's no way that is the problem, because all families are alike.

So you see.... using the above as a template, I stand proud and can't wait for the day to start a family of my own, so I, too can raise them the very same way my mom raised me and my baby siblings, and when I do something mean to them I'll be able to look myself in the mirror and say, "job well done mom"!