drinking wine vs cooking wine - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

How To... There are plenty of mysteries in cooking! See if you know the answers to some...

Old 11-25-2003, 06:53 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

drinking wine vs cooking wine

I do not drink but I started cooking with cooking wine. Can someone enlighten me the difference of these two wines?
Old 12-06-2003, 06:42 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Cooking wine is generally inferior that could never be drunk on its own. It lacks flavor and often has added salt to it.

The rule of thumb with wine is only cook with what you would drink.

And being you don't drink, I would still say that cooking wine is just not good. Being cooking wine is much cheaper, if this is all you can afford, don't salt your food while cooking, and wait until your food is cooked to check the seasonings.

;-)

http://foodpursuit.blogspot.com
Old 12-06-2003, 07:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

cooking with wine

Cooking wine has salt in it. This makes it unpalatable for anyone who might be tempted to drink your cooking supply. When wine is used in a recipe, it performs a chemical action--usually tenderizing meat. As the wine cooks, the alcohol evaporates. You may notice that the flavor remains, but you won't get high on it.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Cooking wines are not worth the the anything.. It's like bouillon cubes.. all salt no flavor.....

Jen is correct in saying cook with what you would drink... but if you don't drink, then what do you use with what?

For all around cooking, for a Red wine, you can use a Gallo or Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon or Burgundy. Either is great for beef or venison veal or lamb dishes.

A Beringer Chenin Blanc or Gallo Chardonnay for fish or chicken, especially if using mushrooms...

Left over Champagne is good for chicken as well.....

All of these wines are under $5.00 a bottle ... and you get a lot more of it than those rip off cooking wines.

If you want something a tad more pricey, we could go there too.
They could be used to drink and cook as well.
But on the whole, the wines mentioned will cover most dishes...

If I were to buy only one white and one red for cooking, it would be a Burgundy and a Chenin Blanc.

The wine adds a flavor and richness that you can't duplicate with any other ingredient.. ..don't be afraid to try it...

A perfect dish to try a red is the recipe I posted for Braised Short Ribs...

For fish.... a quick dish would be shrimp....

1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/3 cup of butter or olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed with a knife
pinch red pepper flakes
1/3 cup white wine.... chardonnay or chenin blanc
1 T fresh chopped parsley

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat butter or oil, add garlic and saute for about 2 min, then add shrimp and pepper flakes and saute for about 5 min until shrimp are pink and done, then addf wine, raise heat for a minute to heat through. Sprinkle with Parsley.

You can serve with bread to mop up the wonderful sauce.
or.. you can serve over linguine or spaghetti....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 12-06-2003, 10:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My local liquor store carries Sutter Home red and white wines in little 4-packs .. each bottle is six ounces... they have screw tops and cost a little more overall, but they are great for cooking, because you don't have to worry about what to do with "the rest of the bottle".... Whatever wine you don't use, stores just fine. This may be a fine compromise for someone who will not be using thier wine to drink with their meal...

Val
Old 12-06-2003, 11:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

That's great Val... I live in a dry county.. .*groan* I have to go to Nacogdoches to get wine... and they know it....
I haven't seen those... but what a good idea.. We enjoy our wine in that we will have a glass of the wine I cook with....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."

Last edited by Jeannie; 12-07-2003 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I agree with Jeannie's post. Burgundy by Gallo is always here for stews and pot roasts, and I buy Sherry for Chinese stir-frys and anything that calls for white wine. Also, if you like Chicken or Veal Marsala you really should buy Marsala wine. NEVER buy the grocery store cooking wine!!!
Old 12-06-2003, 01:52 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

I do what Val suggested with hard liquor. If I have a recipe that requires Grand Marnier, I buy the small bottles. It may be more expensive, but then again, I don't have this huge bottle sitting in my house that no one is going to drink.

Old 12-07-2003, 04:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

cooking with wine

Good morning to all :
Very interesting discussion. My question is: Once you open the wine, do you refrigerate or keep it at room temperature?
Thanks.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:58 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

I keep my white in the refrigerator, but not my red.