Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

How To... There are plenty of mysteries in cooking! See if you know the answers to some...

Old 08-13-2002, 07:04 AM
BoggsZ

Question Fixing Fish without the fishie smell or taste.

Hi everyone I need your help. My husband does not eat anything that comes out of the water and I need your help can anyone tell me how to fix fish without haveing the fishie smell? We mostly have bass and grappy. and I would also like to have a good recipe for hushpuppies my little girl loves the ones from longjohnsilvers. Thanks for your help
Old 08-16-2002, 07:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I use the side burner on my gas grill to fry fish, that way I never have to worry about the house smelling fishy. If you don't have a side burner on your grill, you could always buy an inexpensive hotplate and use it on the patio. I do all my frying (which is not very much these days) outside.

Katie
Old 08-17-2002, 04:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

BoggsZ,

Soaking the fish in cold milk for 20 min. does the trick. Drain fish, throw away the milk, before rolling the fish in seasoned corn meal or flour and frying. I've heard that you can also use sprite or 7-up for soaking this will also give it a lemony flavor. (I prefer fresh lemons though and use them at the table to squeeze on the fish.)
Hope this helps.

Leslie9220

Old 08-17-2002, 06:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My mother-in-law soaks fish in salt water (????) but I always thought that was just to keep it from tasting too fishy. I just can't stand for my house to smell fishy. The grease residue gets on everything!!! That's why I fry outside.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I hate both the smell and the taste.......I make my husband grill and eat it outside by himself......LOL

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Hey, I won!
Old 08-17-2002, 12:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

bbkimberly, shame on you, LMAO. That was the funniest thing I've read today. I can just picture your poor husband sitting outside all by his lonesome, eating his fish. Hahahahaha. So, you don't eat shrimp or crab legs either???
Old 08-17-2002, 01:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

LOLOLOLOL......actually, he isn't alone. Our 2 boys are outside too. They love salmon! Now crab, shrimp, lobster- that's another story. Lots of lemon and nothing else! It's funny - I will eat what he won't eat - squid, abalone, and octopus......LOL Our tastes are so different it amazes me that he ever eats here

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Hey, I won!
Old 08-17-2002, 06:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I don't know if it will work for fishy smells but I know to keep grease smells out of the house when frying you can set a bowl of white vinegar beside the stove while you fry. It would be worth trying with the fish. I got this tip from a great book called "Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean". I'm not sure who it is by but she has lots of GREAT tips using very basic things like vinegar and baking soda.
Old 08-17-2002, 06:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Lisa. I've seen the Queen of Clean on tv. She does commercials for something. I use a lot of vinegar for cleaning. Another thing that works wonders on odors is vanilla extract. I borrowed a suitcase one time years ago that smelled so bad I was afraid to put my clothes in it. You can't very well complain when someone was nice enough to loan you something, so I tried the vanilla. Soaked several cottonballs and zipped them up inside. The next day all the odor was gone!! I have used this tip several times and it has always worked like a charm. One note: vanilla extract can damage wood finishes.

Happy frying. Ewwwwwwwwww. I'm still gonna fry outside!!
Old 08-18-2002, 05:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Fixing Fish without the fishy smell or taste

This is so easy. I bake all my fish in orange juice and lemon juice. This really takes out the fishy flavor and smell. I also sometimes use lemon/pepper. I learned this a long time ago and have never had a complaint when I cook fish. Use this instead of water. It works!!!