Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

How To... There are plenty of mysteries in cooking! See if you know the answers to some...

Old 08-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Assistant Moderator

Rice cooker recipes

I bought my self a rice cooker at Aldis for $10, cooks my plain rice beautifully.
I was thinking there is more than plain rice to go in this surely.
I googled some rice recipes but rice pudding my creamed rice all the recipes call for condensed milk, ick.
Does anyone have a rice cooker, how do they find it to cook with?
Does anyone cook more than plain rice in it and want to share their recipes?

Old 08-08-2009, 05:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I only ever use the rice cooker to make plain rice. Mine has a steamer basket that can sit on top of the rice, but I found that juices drip down into the rice, so if you are making broccoli on top, your rice turns green. Ick.

The rice pudding recipe I use calls for plain cooked rice, so I have no problem there. I cook the rice in the cooker and then go from there.

The rice cooker is one of my very few "single-use" appliances--things that only do one job. It gets used a LOT here because the rice is always perfect and I don't have to babysit it.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Assistant Moderator

To be honest Barb it was an impulse buy, I actually turned up at Aldis looking for a set of cooking knives ($10) and walked out with a rice cooker, LOL
There has to be more I'm sure, I will just have to do some playing, this one does not have any extra baskets, just the 1 for the rice and no other settings.
Green rice would be good for St Paticks day LOL

Old 08-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

chuckle

I purchased my rice cooker about 18 years ago and love it! I first purchased it when my Japanese-American friends came over to dinner, and were shocked that I cooked my rice in a pot on the stove. They have since "showed me the way" and I've never used a pot, again! My pot has a steamer "basket" (more like a steamer shelf that sits about 1 inch above the bottom of the pot). I use this basket to steam frozen chicken. I put 1 inch of water in the cooker, put in the "basket", and put pieces of seasoned (I sprinkle chicken boullion seasoning on the frozen chicken pieces) frozen chicken in the basket. Turn the cooker on and by the time it "dings" the chicken is perfectly cooked. The rice cooker makes the most deliciously moist chicken we have ever had!
Old 08-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Assistant Moderator

Maybe that is why my cooker only cost $10 I have no basket inside just the pot, might see if I can find a trivet to sit in there?
Edit to have a thought, do you both mean a basket as in a meshed hole type thing that sits in the pot (2 inside the cooker) or the 1 solid pot in general?

Last edited by Bilby; 08-14-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Yep, I mean the tin thing that has lots of holes. Mine looks like a tin plate with a small lip around the edge that keeps it a little elevated in the steam cooker pot. If you don't have one, I bet that you could use a collapsible metal steamer if it fits inside your cooker pot.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:38 AM
Assistant Moderator

I was Ikea today and found the perfect collapsible steamer insert for my rice cooker with the added bonus of taking it to another pot if needed

Old 08-24-2009, 02:32 AM
Head Moderator

My rice cooker is a plastic one with no basket;I actually got it at the thrift store for $3.50. It is a Progressive brand Rice Cooker. I really like it for cooking rice because I put it in the microwave and just let it cook.I usually just cook plain rice in it, but have made Curried Rice in before.

4 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup green onion
2 tbsp margarine
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp milk

Prepare 4 cups cooked rice as directed on your rice cooker instruction sheet then take rice out of cooker and set aside. Put onion, green pepper and margarine into your cooker, fasten lid and cook on HIGH (remember mine is a microwave cooker) for 2 minutes or till onion is soft. Combine rice with onion, green peppers, and curry powder, alt, and milk in the cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 minutes. This is great with baked chicken.

You can use broth in yor cooker as the liquid to give the rice a flavor.

If you type in "recipes for a rice cooker" into your search engine you will find lots of sites with all sorts of recipes for one, good luck!

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life

Last edited by cat lover; 08-24-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I love shopping at IKEA but we don't have one near me about 4 hours away.
I love curried rice have not had any in a long time but bought some new curry powder the other day now to make it.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

It's funny that you mentioned IKEA. My dh and I were just there this weekend. We were looking at their sofa-beds (want to redo my ds's room as a guest room now that he has moved out). We like the Ektorp (gotta love the Swedish names!) loveseat-sofa bed. A little pricey, but it certainly was a nice one. Oh well, at their prices, we'll keep looking!