Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

How To... There are plenty of mysteries in cooking! See if you know the answers to some...

Old 06-06-2002, 08:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecision & Southwest of Disorder
My 'baby' will be 38 the 4th of next month. Both her and her older brother were started out on baby cereal and progressed right on to table food (mashed of course). We didn't have blenders of food processors then so I cooked everything very soft and they were given a chance to eat anything except the meat. I did wait until they got teeth before I allowed them to try that. They were both very good eaters as children. My DD will still eat all kinds of veggies, but my DS is strictly meat and potatoes now. Ours was necessity, but I truly believe that kids are healthier if they eat home cooked foods instead of the processed stuff. A big plus is that you know exactly what went into their food.
Good luck and God bless.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have five children and I have never bought jarred baby food. Like many of the other responses to your question, I would just chop up/mash/puree whatever the rest of us were eating. Yams, bananas, and unsweetened oatmeal (wait until after the baby is nine months - oatmeal is a little hard to digest before that) were the staples, and all my kids are good eaters. Get the baby eating veggies before fruit, and once they have teeth get them started on salads. My kids are some of the only kids I know that gleefully shout "Broccoli!" when it is served -- and they like it without dip! I'm getting a little off the topic of baby foods here, but one thing I've noticed is that often the child who doesn't like a meal the first time you serve it will say "I remember this. I love this!" the second time. So don't give up when your kids don't appear to like something the first time.

As well, I don't feel that you need to give babies juice at all. Even the "natural" juices are loaded with sugar, so give your baby water instead. In our house juice is a treat, but my kids eat lots of whole fruits as snacks.

You'll save a fortune making your own baby food, and homemade is much healthier than processed. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2002, 11:59 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

I made my son's baby food too.

I would steam my fruit and vegetables. Then, using a food mill, I would puree the food and add some breast milk / formula to the food.

I would then use ice cube trays to freeze them in individual portions. Then I would label bags and place the cubes in the bag, in the freezer.

I, also, started with vegetables first. I have heard that the sweetness of fruit, makes them not want to try vegetables.

I, also, did not introduce meat until after a year. Children are natural vegetarians. So, it is easier for them to digest other products.

I, also, noticed that after making my son's own food that he adapted quicker to "adult food" than his friends that were raised on jarred food). And a friend of mine made her food too, and we have always been told what good eaters are children are and how UNpicky they are. They will eat anything.

http://foodpursuit.blogspot.com
Old 11-03-2014, 03:48 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Back when I was making baby food (homemade style), simplicity was number one, as was utilizing what I had on hand. No real recipes, and when it came to combining and preparing the food, a fork or potato-masher in hand were my standard tools of choice, unless I was making enough to cover for a couple of days, at which point I incorporated the aid of my blender/food-processor.

One thing I learned about homemade baby food... bland is better.