Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

How To... There are plenty of mysteries in cooking! See if you know the answers to some...

Old 09-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
How To Chop Up a Chicken

How To Chop Up a Chicken

One of the easiest ways to save in a supermarket is to do the preparation yourself. Take chicken, for example: If you buy it cut up into serving-sized pieces it's going to cost significantly more than a whole chicken because the supermarket will pass on the cost of paying the person to cut up the chicken in the back room. The obvious solution is to do it yourself; you'll need a cutting board, a chicken, and a sharp thick-bladed kitchen knife.

Difficulty: Average
Time Required: 5 minutes
Here's How:
  1. Begin by removing the wing tips (just the final joint), and then the chicken's tail, which contains an oil filled gland that will simply add to the oiliness of stewed or fried chicken.
  2. Next, put the chicken breast side down, and slice cleanly up the spine, pressing down so the blade scores along the ribs. Turn the chicken upright, with the neck pressed into the cutting board, and cut straight down along the spine to open the chicken; my father-in-law (a retired butcher) holds the blade still and taps the back of the blade repeatedly with his other hand to drive it through the ribs.
  3. Open the chicken as if it were a book and press it flat against the cutting board; the sternum will begin to split and you'll be able to remove its bony central core by pulling it up. Cut through the center of the breast, lengthwise, and you'll have two chicken halves.
  4. One will have the neck attached; remove it by cutting through it with the knife, pressing down on the back of the blade with your other hand.
  5. To quarter the chicken, cut each half on a slight diagonal, to separate the breast from the thigh. If you want eight pieces, cut the breasts in half (again on a diagonal), and separate the drumsticks from the upper thighs by flexing the legs and cutting through the knee joints.
  6. Done!
Tips:
  1. The knife is important; it should be quite sharp, with an 8-inch (20 cm) blade, and stiff enough that it won't twist.
  2. As with all manual tasks practice makes perfect; my father-in-law, who did this for a living, quarters a chicken in about a minute.
  3. If you're making soup stock, add the trimmings (other than the tail) to the pot.
What You Need:
  • A whole chicken
  • A sharp knife, see above
  • A cutting board
***from about.com

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Growing up, my parents bought whole chickens and we cut them up ourselves. It was disgusting cleaning out the "leftover" guts and fat. As an adult, I don't do it. I'd rather pay the extra few cents to have it cut up. Plus I usually only eat breasts, thighs, and wings.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

This may seem odd to most of you but I have been married for years raised 2 children and I still do not know how to properly cut up a whole chicken
Old 09-28-2006, 04:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcrafts
This may seem odd to most of you but I have been married for years raised 2 children and I still do not know how to properly cut up a whole chicken
That's not odd to me. I have tried it a couple of times and have always resorted back to buying the cut up pieces. lol! Let's say that I'm a pretty good cook but no way near a Master chef.

Welcome to Family Corner!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-14-2015, 09:49 AM
Head Moderator

I still but pieces, but we only eat the breast and when I do cook a whole chicken it is the whole chicken as is. The cats usually get the dark meat!

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 01-14-2015, 01:12 PM
Nine Year Member

Just bought a whole roasting chicken today. Think the back bones enhance the flavor of the chicken cooking. The calcium from the bones makes the gravy thicker and healthier to save and use on the leftover the next time you reheat them. I still cut up the chicken after its cooked to serve or save. Makes it easier to make portions for salads or sliced for another recipe.
The bones still have enough on it to make a soup.
Know it is cheaper to buy the whole chicken and slice the breast yourself. Even the thighs & drumsticks can be cooked for a great meal. I always look forward to the to the bag inside to cook with some onion as the roast is cooking.
________
Sueanne

Old 01-14-2015, 02:55 PM
Head Moderator

My son and his wife buy a already roasted chicken a lot for a quick meal and they were throwing the bones away! When I found out I asked them to save them for me! So now I get more than enough bones to make broth from! I even got the turkey bones from someone we went to's house on Thanksgiving! Love making my own broth and defatting it!

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

Old 05-18-2016, 12:36 AM
Head Moderator

bump

Old 05-28-2016, 06:31 PM
Nine Year Member

I like to cook a whole chicken and cut it up after it is cooked. Find the breast stays juicier this way. Easier to separate the back bone and use it for soups.
________
Sueanne

Old 05-28-2016, 07:15 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question

How are you cooking the whole chicken? Oven, crockpot... ? What type of pan if you do it in the oven?

And what do you do with the bones to make broth?