Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

How Do I...? Looking for answers on how to add a picture to your sig, where to go to find a certain topic, find out what LOL means? Frequently asked questions and lots of how to answers are here!

Old 11-16-2005, 04:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

IRFANVIEW~ Graphics Editor (can crop and resize)and numerous other things

I posted 2 ways to resize pictures using the GIFworks site and your MSPaint,now the 3rd one I like alot is Irfanview,(a graphics (easy to use) editor. First you have to download it, its a quick download and its SAFE and FREE! Once you have it downloaded here is how to crop your pictures and resize them.

First you open Irfanview on your pc screen

Than you open the picture in the program. To do this click on "file" and then "open" in the top menu, your picture file should open,than choose your picture.

Click on "image" then on "resize/resample" to open the resizing box.

Make sure the "preserve aspect ratio" button is clicked. This protects your pictures from becoming distorted while you are resizing them.

Choose the size you want your picture to be and click "OK".

If you don't like the size that your picture has become click on "edit" then "undo". Start over.

If your picture is a little blurry you can click "image" then "sharpen". If you don't like the sharper look you can click "edit" then "undo" to get rid of it.
If you like the new size click "file" then "save" to save the new size or click "file" then "save as" and save the new size as a new picture.
Crop Pictures

Cropping is when you cut your picture so that you only keep a certain part of it and get rid of the rest. This is great when you have a group picture but you only want to keep the picture of yourself. Just crop around you and lose the rest. Or, when you have a full body picture but you only want the part where your face is you can crop the picture.
How to Crop Pictures
  1. Open the picture in the program. To do this click on "file" and then "open" in the top menu, then choose your picture.
  2. Point to one corner of the part of the picture you want to keep and hold down the mouse button.
  3. Drag the cursor to the opposite corner of the part of the picture you want to keep. You will see a box form around the part you want to keep.
  4. When the box surrounds the the part of the picture you want to save let go of the mouse button and click "edit" then "crop selection".
  5. Click on "edit" then "crop selection".
  6. If you like the cropped look click "file" then "save" to save the new size or click "file" then "save as" and save the new size as a new picture.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I forgot to add the link to download Irfanview,here it is.
http://www.irfanview.com/
Old 11-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

The word is out!! Congratulations to you Sandie on your new job here at Family!!! What a wonderful asset you will be..

Great Choice Amanda!!

Hugs, Janet
Old 11-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks Janet, you probably remember better than anyone,when I first joined FC I didnt even know what an "Image Hosting Site, was,LOL! Just sharing what has been shared with me,and still alot more to learn, but its fun and "addicting" . Just trying to explain things in "simple" terms, and not something that "only Bill Gates would understand,lol,not too mention we have alot of fun too!
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

~Thank you Sandie~

Hi Sandie! I downloaded InfraView and am still checking it out.
Unfortunately I recently had to restore my laptop and lost all my pictures/graphics. It's a long story but I was not able to save the graphics onto a disc. I am learning to use my comps backup right now so that if I ever need to restore I won't lose any graphics or documents again.
Thank you for this link and for the directions.
I have yet to try cropping a picture with it. I need to get some new pictures now.
Hugs, LovedMom

Old 11-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Lita, I really use Irfanview for alot of things, you can even do Alphas in Irfanview (as long as they arent animated) .
One thing I didnt say in "how to crop with Irfanview, is when you first open Irfanview, and have your picture ready to crop you want to make sure you are holding down the LEFT side of the mouse,than drag and outline where you want to crop,go up tp "edit" and click on "crop", and thats it, and if you dont like the way it is you can redo it as many times as you need to.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Sandie, I downloaded Irfanview also..so what other free programs do you have?

I will attach my first siggy I made at least a year ago..

Don't laugh..I was doing this with PSP7

Hugs, Janet

Last edited by janet; 06-05-2007 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Janet I just posted a thread about another free one called UNFREEZE, here is the link

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...d.php3?t=15936

My picture in my profile is done with that and I used it for part of the teddy and pumpkin, in my siggy,after I "flopped" it in Image Magick. Image Magick and GIF tools (both links are in this section) are good free online ones that you dont have to download. What I need to do is make a list of all the things I use (alot you dont have to download) and post them, Im always finding something new from one of the graphic groups I belong to, also you can get info right on PhotoBucket for a few things in their forum, thats where I learned about Unfreez. If you have any ?? just yell!

Last edited by sandieluvsbears; 11-20-2005 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Okay Sandie. I followed your instructions about cropping a picture with Irfanview and it works! Thanks! Now I need the GIFworks and the other one you mentioned if you have the links for them. I lost whatever I had when I restored the 'puter. Thanks again!

Old 11-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Janet thats good for your first one, I still havent done much in psp or AS, even though I have it, Im more for the easy ones, I just found out there is a PSP For Dummies book, gonna look pick one up, because the Windows XP for Dummies was how I learned ALOT about computers, and it was very EASY to understand,great for people like me, who doesnt have the :Bill Gates" knowledge of computers lol.