Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Household Hints & Tips Share your tips and hints! Anything from cleaning to organizing. If it helped you, we'd love to hear about it!

Old 03-13-2006, 07:26 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Here's another one. I used to walk into the room where the cat litter box was and think to myself "oh I need to get a bag so I can clean that out" and then I would get sidetracked doing something else. Now I keep a stock of small bags in the same room as the cat box. That way whenever I need to scoop it out, the bags are right there and I won't forget ;-)
Old 03-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Cleaning out the cat box is my reminder to take out the garbage, or taking out the garbage reminds me of the cat box, either way both things get done.

Love & Prayers,
Linda
May God give you for every storm, a rainbow, for every tear, a smile, for every care, a promise, and blessing in each trial, for every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh, a sweet song, and an answer for each prayer.
~An Irish Blessing
Old 03-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I usually put trash bags in the bottom of the trash cans(the kind with the handles that you get from walmart) that way you just lift it out tie up the handles and throw it out and you have a new bag waiting for the next time.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I sprinkle carpet fresh in my vacum cleaner bag ...makes the whole house smell fresh and clean. I also put dryer sheets in the bottom of trash cans and under my car seats too.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My dh used to do water & fire damage restoration & he told me this one. Never use bleach to kill or clean mold. The bleach kills the mold, but the mold will release hundreds of spores as it dies.

I clean for about 10-15min. at a time. We turn the music on, and the kids & I clean whatever we can get done in 10-15 min. We do this a few times a day so everything gets done. It doesn't feel so overwhelming if you're doing short spurts of work throughout the day, as opposed to 1-2 hrs. at a time.

Another thing I really like to do is use a Clorox Ready Mop (or another one of the same type) every day, then we use the real mop once a week. Doing a quick mop daily makes it easier to do the weekly mop bcs the floor isn't so dirty (my youngest throws food on the floor at every meal, so the floor gets really bad).
Old 03-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

hmsclmommyof2,

Thank you for the advice on bleach. Please ask your husband what he thinks works best on mold.

Love & Prayers,
Linda
May God give you for every storm, a rainbow, for every tear, a smile, for every care, a promise, and blessing in each trial, for every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh, a sweet song, and an answer for each prayer.
~An Irish Blessing
Old 03-15-2006, 11:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I keep everthing that I need for cleaning the bathroom and dusting in buckets. This way, I can go from room to room with everything I need in hand. Everything in each room is keep in baskets, containers, or shoeboxes so that it keeps clutter to a minimum. Also,I use a timer for cooking, washing, drying, etc. This allows me to multi-task.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I asked my dh what do use on mold and here's his answer: First vacuum the mold with a HEPA filter vacuum. This removes any loose spores. Then clean it with an anti-microbial cleaner, such as Rejuvinal Disinfectant/All purpose cleaner. Rejuvinal can be kind of expensive, though. If there is a ServiceMaster near you, you can contact them. Some of them are willing to sell some of their cleaning products to residential homes. Ask them if they would be willing to sell you a gallon of their sanitizer. If the mold is on a wall or ceiling, after cleaning it, use Kilz brand primer. They have numerous different products to choose from. After the primer, repaint the area. If the area you're working on is in a moist area (such as a bathroom), you should use oil-based primer & oil-based paint. This will help prevent mold & mildew from growing.

We just found some products at www.nationalallergy.com We haven't tried them yet, but they are supposed to get rid of & prevent mold & mildew.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I save a lot of time when I connect a long extension cord to my vacum cleaner. I vacum my whole house without having to unplug it for each room. The kitchen in my house is the center so I use only one outlet there to reach all the rooms.

Debbie

Old 03-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

hmsclmommyof2, thank your husband for me. We do have a ServiceMaster in our town and I've got their number saved "just in case".

At our old house I had a mold problem on the north side of the house and I hated using bleach on it.

Love & Prayers,
Linda
~An Irish Blessing