Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Household Hints & Tips Share your tips and hints! Anything from cleaning to organizing. If it helped you, we'd love to hear about it!

Old 03-10-2006, 07:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Wish my washer had a buzzer tooo but then I would most likely be outside or in part of house would not hear it anyway lol.
I also like those wipes Amanda have one in bathrooms and under kitchen sink and by the Utility room sink even tho' it is not the same kind of sink.
Hopefully I will be moving this weekend and will be cleaning over at the other house.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

When I remember to spary my shower daily, it helps keep it so clean! I don't know why I get out of the habit. Also wiping down the glass with the bath mat when I finish showering so no water drops dry on it. It is really true that the more often you clean something, the easier it is! No hard scrubbing etc.
Also while cleaning the Comm Games Village for contractors recently, we all had 'bum bags'. Keeping a spare cloth and spray handy,meant we could wipe any 'missed bits' as we were going through vacuuming or dusting. Much quicker than going back to get things, so I am going to set myself up with that.. Also, with a bumbag on I won't get distracted from my task b/c it's not that comfortable!!
Old 03-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Nine Year Member

I always keep a supply of cleaning products in the bathroom and kitchen. My miracle cloths with micro fibers help speed up cleaning. Just use with water for daily wipeups cleans without streaking.
I always use baking soda to clean the kitchen cabinets and counters. The stove and refrigerator come out sparkling.
Adding baking soda to my washing machine load makes the clothes softer.
______
Sueanne

Old 03-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

One task I keep on top of , is the clutter around my dh recliner, so each evening just before retiring for bed, I straighten things up, clean out the accumalation of mag/papers, also empty the waste basket, this way the next day it is neat and clean for a bit anyways.

I also spray down my shower/tub after each use, with dawn/bleach in a squeeze bottle. Have cleaning supplies in the bathroom @ all times, so is handy to swish the stool often.

Joy
Old 03-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Love the stereo crankin' while I'm cleaning! I usually plug in some CD's to keep me on track (no commercials)...It's easy to get into the beat while dusting, mopping, scrubbing.....
But, sometimes that is not an option~~dh works from home, plus I have my dgd who may be napping---so then I play "Beat the Clock" like Barbszy does!! And I reward myself with something like allowing time to play on FC (my fave!!), or a relaxing at-home foot soak, or perusing the local dollar store

Anyway, one of the best things I have learned is that when it is time to clean the shower, it is best done after a shower. Or, at least after you have let the shower run for a little bit. The water and steam make it easier for the cleaner to penetrate and then easier for you to scrub. I put a dirty towel on the floor of the shower (so I don't slip while cleaning), scrub away, remove the towel and wash the grime away. Works great everytime, and it sure speeds the cleaning up. Plus, I put Turtle-wax, or some other "on sale" car wax, on the shower walls every couple of months which really helps repel the buildup. I just don't use it on the shower floor as it is too slippery for us. But touching up the shower floor in between deep cleanings is nothing~~compared to the walls and the shower doors!!

Happy cleaning, everyone!!

You miss 100% of the opportunities you don't take.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

For the shower I like to keep a squeegee in the shower and wipe the walls down after the shower. (mine that is, dh doesn't do it lol)

I also like to have music on as it gets me moving.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 03-12-2006, 06:39 AM
Nine Year Member

I clean the toilet, sink & mirror while the kids are in the bath saves a little time as I'm there already. I scrub down the shower before my shower so the water rinses everything off saving some water.

I like tossing in a load of laundry or running the dishwasher while I'm cleaning other areas of the house as I feel that I have accomplished more in a shorter period of time.

You can really spot clean for company in 15 minutes and it is amazing how much better the house looks with a quick run through.

Roberta
Old 03-12-2006, 07:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

our system

After years of griping and nagging, I've finally gotten into a good groove with this system: Every morning I make a list of the four chores that need attention the most. Then, if it is an even-numbered date, my son (born on the 28th) chooses first, or if it's an odd day, my daughter (born on the 17th) does. So, in addition to having their daily responsibilities for their stuff, their rooms, their pets, they also do two things to help the family. And while I'm busy cooking and teaching I at least know that the major messes will be attended to.

As far as actual cleaning tips, my newest one is that every night when I take off my makeup with a disposable wipe, I use it to get the globs of toothpaste the kids left in the sink before they harden overnight.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:10 PM

I've got the best cleaning tip. Hire a maid! LOL.

When you are cleaning windows, on the inside wipe up and down, on the outside wipe back and forth. If there are any streaks youknow which side needs re-done.

Coll
Old 03-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I get paid to do this for a living as a professional housekeeper for a major hotel resort and I have learned many tips on cleaning. The most important cleaning tip is cleaning from top to bottom and left to right..that way its kind of hard not to miss anything. I spray down the shower walls floor and tub and spray the counter tops and toilet too then I let the cleaner sit while I empty trash cans and hang towels. Then I go back and wipe everything down and clean the mirrors. The last thing I do is mop or vacuum. I even fold the toilet paper end (it is a habit because we have to do it at the hotel) lol.