Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 02-12-2004, 07:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We're just getting into chapter books (I read them aloud - my ds is almost 5). He loves the Berenstain Bears so we just read two of the Stepping Stone books..... Ride Like The Wind and The Wrong Crowd. We have a few others from the library and I'm thinking of starting on the Magic Tree House series after that. Has anyone read those?
Old 05-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We started these last year and are going to check out the last of the series on Tuesday... A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. My 10 yr old was just telling me tonight that she wishes we weren't on the last book. Me, too! She's even dreamt that she was Violet a couple of times. We haven't read much aloud together though. Reading the previous replies, I think we will start to do it more. I was thinking about Lord of the Flies but I got the impression from others that she's too young for it. But I see someone else above mentioned it and will add it to our summer reading list.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Good books . . .

Hi! My son (6) loves to read. We read The Hobbit together last spring (with my 3yr old daughter) and it was so fun. Even with all of the big words, neither of them ever said they were bored or fell asleep before the chapter was over (it was our nighttime read aloud, we did the FIAR books during the day).
More recently, we finished Charlotte's Web. It was nice, because sometimes my son would choose to read a para every here and there . . . Since it is County Fair time, we are following up with a Charlotte's Web County Fair party which he has invited a few friends to. We are making a spider cake, spider gliders, pigs in a blanket, blue ribbon apple pie, and save the pig spider webs. I think I might have to do a little party after every book . . .
Next we are reading Mr. Poppers Penguins.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

hi happyhomeschooler!

Quote:
Originally posted by happyhomeschooler
Some of the books we have used so far are:

The Little House on the Prairie Series
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Understood Betsy
Anne of Green Gables Series

We have really noticed a great benefit to reading these aloud as a group instead of just assigning each child their own reading list. It gives the children something in common to talk about even as they play throughout the day. They have also invented games that come from what we've been reading.
happyhomeschooler, i have the whole series of anne of green gables on video that my mother gave me for my daughter!
How old are your children, by the way? Do you have any suggestions for a 7 year old! In her grade now she should be doing book reports also. She has done one but it was so hard for her to do it. It's alot of writing for her. How does one judge an oral report? I know I will still try to think of ways to motivate her to do the written reports and maybe designate a time in the day when she must focus a little bit on it...write a little everyday or something until the day it's due. ...

On a better note: We made fuzzy heads for our favorite pen and pencil. We put googley eyes on 'em and a flower on the side! We even named them. My dd's is "cutie" and mine is "checker"! A simple and fun craft idea I got from FC! YAY!

LovedMom

Old 05-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb It's been awhile since any posts here, but....

It's been awhile since the last post on this thread, but thought I'd get this going again.

We've been reading the whole Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis. I wish there were unit studies already done for all the books, but I've only seen them done on The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe.

I plan on re-reading them again in a few years and go into more depth of study. I also plan on doing his Science Fiction Trilogy. (Which I can't recall more than one title... Perelandra.. and I'm not sure that's spelled right)

This next year we're going to do Caddie Woodlawn and Little House and maybe Anne of Green Gables.

What are your homeschoolers reading?