Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Homeschooling

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 11-29-2003, 12:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Home Math Games for Children

I'm searching for math games for kids, so I figure you homeschoolers would be a great source of information! I don't mean the games you buy, but ones you can play with things you have around the house, like a deck of cards or pair of dice, paper and pencil. In particular, games to help kids with learning their addition, subtraction, multiplication or division facts, and place value. And are there also any games which can be played alone? Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-06-2003, 07:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

When my daughter was less than a year old, we played math games with real money. Of course, I watched her closely, but she didn't put the money in her mouth. We used, nickles,dimes, quarters, pennies. If she got the math question right, she got to keep the money sometimes. That was a great incentive. Even now, she pictures math problems in her head in nickles, dimes and quarters.
I didn't have a "game board", just put the money in lines or piles n the coffee table, a good height for a child.
We also did math when I went shopping. I many times gave her the money to pay for the bill. Many times, they would give her incorrect change, more than she should have gotten and she knew it and returned it.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Cribbage is the game for me, two, three or four players. A very fast, and, I think fun. It teaches young people to add the numbers on a four card hand to get sums of 15 (2+3+4+6) or (1+6+3+5) and other simple math skills. When I was in the Navy it was one game a lot of sailors could play and in a lot of neighborhood pubs today a patron could find a board and get a game going. I make boards and when I changed my pattern to smaller holes I gave my old steel template to the local high school for their shop/wood working classes. The woodworkers are using the template to make Christmas gifts. The elementary school teaches cribbage to their younger grades to help with their math. It also teaches memory shills (able to recognize familiar card groups and their point value).
Here a a photo of my boards, O'Sure
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2003, 05:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

math games

in regards to math games .i found a web site called www.aplusmath.com it has puzzles, math sheets, a math bingo(called matho)and etc I enjoyed that! check it out ,ida
Old 12-06-2003, 05:48 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

We play a game with cards. Take out the face cards and jokers. Turn one card over. This will be the card you add, subtract, multiply or divide with. You then turn over the cards one by one and have your child add or subtract etc... the first card to it. Once they get the hang of it try going as fast as you can...my sons have a blast with it. I hope I explained it so it is understandable. It reallyis fun.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

O'Sure: Thanks for the picture of the Cribbage boards. We had one when my daughter was young. You do some nice wookworking. I've done some, shoe trees shaped on each end like a boot, dowel sticks in between, stained and varnished. So nice, like your dark stained Cribbage board.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My kids learned math several ways, Cribbage is a good one, dominos, Farkle (with dice), 21 with cards, and shopping. What I mean by shopping is when the sales papers come out they find an item and figure out how much it is per ounce, etc. we have often found by doing this that a sale really wasn't a sale! All of my kids have good math skills. We also play store, with one of the kids as the cashier. All during the week they earn money for chores, odd jobs, good grades, honesty, thoughtfulness, etc. At the end of the week we pull out a box of goodies I have purchased. (fancy pencils, erasers, lollys, gum, small toys, balloons, etc.) and they shop, the cashier must give exact change and they have to double check their change. I put each ones money in an empty pringles can marked with their names after the shopping and at Christmas they have money for shopping! It has worked well in teaching them money disipline, adding and subtracting, counting change, saving.........as well as honesty and thoughtfulness.
You should see us in the grocery store! They can tell me which is the better buy, and if using my coupon is worth it!
They also stop and pick up pennies.......I'll tell you that one later LOL
God Bless, Brenda
Old 12-07-2003, 10:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I helped out in my son's school the other day and the 4th graders were playing "multiplication war". Deal cards like you're playing the original war game. Each player turns over two cards. Kings and Jacks are 10, Aces are one and Queens are zero. The rest of the cards are their face value. Each player mulitplies their cards together and the highest total wins. If they both come up with the same end result then they have a war - put two cards face down then two cards face up and multiply those cards and see if you have a winner. They really had fun.
I plan on playing it using addition for my first grader and multiplication for my third grader.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Math games

I home school. To get my kids interested in math, I borrowed an idea I saw. Take a piece of tag board. Fashion a board similar to Monopoly. Have Go, Jail, free parking, etc. On the other spaces, put things about your family. Examples: Fed Rover--get 10 cents, helped mom with dishes--get 15 cents, Dad cleaned up your mess--pay 15 cents. I spent a lot of time thinking of things that would work, no matter who landed on the spot. We didn't do community chest/chance. The money in the center of the board for free parking was a quarter,a dime, a nickle and a penny. Who ever earned $5 first was the winner and we played with real money. They had to make change both up and down because you had to have a $5 bill to win. We just kept the money in a zip lock bag. It was fun to play even for mom.
di
Old 12-07-2003, 06:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

learning math or games

Hi,

I work with some clients who have diverse abilities, and while looking on the web for sites for teaching typing, I came across a very cool site www.superkids.com that you can make up math sheets, learn vocabulary, make word searches, and much more.

We also play a game called Dice 10,000. It takes 5 dice, and a pen/pencil and paper. Basicly you need to get 500 points to get on the board ( minimum) Ok how to play.. 1's are equal to 100 points and 5's are 50. If you get 3 dice same number its that number in the hundred ie 3 3's equals 300, say you got 4 3's, that would be 600.. you double it. Also you can get a straight, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and either one equals 1000 points The first one to 10000 is the winner. If you go over you must wait till your next turn to try again.

I hope these help you teach math skills to your kids!

Alwaysgiggles