Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Homeschooling

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 11-09-2003, 06:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Thanksgiving

Does anyone have any special lessons plans or traditions that they incorporate into their homeschooling for Thanksgiving?
Old 11-10-2003, 02:04 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Being as Thanksgiving is "MY" holiday (we fix Thanksgiving dinner here) I always have the kids make something to contribute to the meal. Last year one son made bread, my daughter made eclair dessert and my oldest son made pumpkin pie in a cup. This year we are looking at making apple spice tea. I don't know what else we will have them make.

Our homeschool supervising teacher just dropped off a ton of Thanksgiving things and in it was a Thanksgiving play. The kids are really looking forward to that! They will have to be more than one character each, but it is only a three page play. The Thanksgiving Feast in 6 acts. This will be a hoot.

We will also make a papoose for my daughter and an arrow bag and arrows for the boys. They will also make that for their cousins. I also plan on having my daughter make a bonnet and one for her little cousin. If the boys want to be Indians, they can make head bands, if they want to be Pilgrims, they can make the hats. And one for their cousin too.

This year we are really concentrating on the holidays. I hope it will be fun for all of us.

I can't wait to hear what the rest of you do!

Benjamin Franklin
Old 11-10-2003, 02:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow, that's a lot of great ideas !! Do you have a pattern for the bonnets and arrow bags? My house is so small that we don't usually have holiday dinners here. It would be great to be able to take along some bonnets and arrows and arrow bags to add to the celebration.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:22 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes I just got the patterns from my supervising teacher. They are fairly simple. Just made from paper bags and butcher paper.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 11-24-2003, 11:20 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Dd studied this last year. We do a combination public school with homeschool supplements as she is a special needs child.

First - MayflowerHistory.com
great web site with lots of historical resources.

Second - mayflower.org
has a virtual tour of the mueseum. I was there as a child, wish I had been able to take dd there last year.

Then we made a model village and a scale model of the Mayflower. She was able to take both into school and show the various parts of the stockade and was able to explain how very small that ship was for 100 people to travel on.

It was a ton of fun. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:51 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Bumping Up

Just bumping up!

Thanksgiving is right around the corner!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!