Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Homeschooling

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 09-07-2003, 04:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What's your style ??

I was just curious what style of homeschoolers we have here on the familycorner message boards. We are in our 6th year of homeschooling and we have changed many times
We have settled on the classical approach mixing alot of CM and TJE . Mom is learning alot also
Old 01-31-2004, 05:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We sent our oldest to public school for kindergarten and first grade and then decided to homeschool. We spent the second grade year getting her to the point where she was suppose to be since the ps curriculum had been so outdated at that time. For third, fourth, and fifth grade now, we enrolled in a cyber charter school. Here in PA it currently falls under the charter school law and is paid for with our tax dollars. They supply the computer and accessories, online access, complete curriculum with teaching manuals and all materials. Our CCS uses Calvert, which was very intense for third grade and also Missourri curriculum, which is what we have used last year and this year. This is what is working for us at the moment. All of her work is in textbooks and workbooks at this point and there is optional online activities so she doesn't have to be online at a specific time each day for a class.
We also have a first grader that we straight homeschool since he is doing mostly second grade work and I'm looking into having him tested to skip a year before enrolling him in the cyber charter school. We're just going with the flow of things at the moment, there are so many options out there. We may decide to straight homeschool the oldest or enroll the middle child in the CCS at some point, who knows. We've even discussed ps for high school with the oldest, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it though LOL.

Miss
www.misstonigifts.net
Old 01-31-2004, 06:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I home school four of my children in grades K, 3, 5, & 8. I use mostly McGraw Hill Books. For my oldest child I have her enrolled in the FL. Virtual School online and the only class that she is taking on there right now is the FCAT one, which prepares you for the FCAT testing. I have taught my youngest to read using McGraw Hill Dolch Sight Words books and my best friend who has her child in public school has told me that they use the same format in public school.
fish3711
Old 01-31-2004, 08:56 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I do not homeschool but my sister does. She uses a online program through the state of Ohio that is free! They even send you a computer, printer and help pay your internet bill. It is working great for her kids. It is a school and the kids must be on their site for a certain amount of time per day. They have to go for certain testing. There are teachers to help both mom and kids.

www.ecotohio.org
Old 01-31-2004, 12:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Crystal, I use the same virtual ed, connections accademy, with my oldest here in AZ. I really like it and we are doing well . This is both our first year homeschooling and first year with the program but I would recomend it to anyone who doesn't mind sturcture.
Smiles
Denise
Old 02-02-2004, 07:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We are in our fourth year, and we are changeable too. We are mostly ecclectic, though I like the "old stuff." Meaning, the curriculum offered for one room school houses and such. We use Ray's Arrithmetic and some McGuffy readers and Primary Language Lessons. All of these are great! They've worked well with our children. We like hands on for science. Get down and dirty and history is often interactive. We have immersed ourselves in countries and time periods and the kids remember it! Each of my children is different, so we've adapted as we've gone on and I'm sure we'll continue to do so with the little ones.

I'm sure you're doing a great job!

Jen
Old 02-05-2004, 11:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

Hi everyone,
It's been a while since I've visited the group. It's hard to get on line with homeschooling, homemaking and homeworking!

We're in our fourth year of homeschooling and spent the last three years trying to find the right curriculum for my son who gets bored very easily. This year we're doing BJU Homesat which I like because I plug in a tape and we both learn together. It seem like a LONG time since I was in 8th grade. Like Homeschooling Mom, I too am learning a lot and re-learning stuff I learned way back when! Anyway, my son liked the curriculum at first but now he's getting bored again. <sigh> I'm not sure what we'll do next year; however, I'd like to stick with Homesat because it's been the easiest curriculum for me thus far.

Oops! Got to run to take my son to music lessons. Be back later!
Old 02-07-2004, 10:16 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi....I haven't been around for a while and thought that I'd try to jump back in

I guess you'd call us eclectic. We use some unit studies, some unschooling, and some (very little) text. We use Math-U-See for math, the Mystery of History for history and reading, and the JASON projects for science....the rest of it, we just wing it.

My 10 year old daughter and I have been on the homeschooling journey for just over a year now and are thoroughly enjoying it.

In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.....Isaiah 30:15
Old 02-08-2004, 07:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

WELCOME EVERYONE

donmissham - sounds like you have everything under control, finding what works for your family is the most important thing !!

fish3711 - You are an inspiration !!! A friend of mine tried homeschooling 4 and she just couldn't do it. Her husband didn't give her much time though, 6 months, and the children had been in PS so that six months didn't even give them time to deschool and figure out how to learn on their own for the joy of it. They wouldn't even pick up a book unless assigned to do so. I see such differences between my children and PS children in the way.

jen143 - sounds like we would love the items you use for homeschooling, I'll have to look into those !!
Old 02-08-2004, 07:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

MidTnGal - I know what you mean, we are not only homeschooling but my husband is home 24/7 because he is disabled, he can't do much and we have a lot of Dr.s appts also. It's looking like he may not ever be able to return to work so I am also building up my home business in hopes that I can replace his full time income. I know I can, it's just alot to have going on at one time.
I also have one of those boys who is easily bored. That's why we don't do texts, we have to keep things fresh and let him pick his learning. When he is interested in something he learns it FULLY and it's amazing the things he will come up, or projects he will add to it.

mamalynda1 - We also have Math U See, the kids like it although we don't do it daily and I don't make them do all the sheets if they have grasped the concept. My daughter doesn't mind the worksheet stuff, but my son hates that sort of thing. We actually do a lot of games for math which seems to teach them alittle more anyhow. They are both truly motivated when it comes learning with money.

We have Life, Payday, Monopoly and Cashflow for kids (great game) we are saving up for the next one Cashflow 101. Since I love accounting it's great to hear the kids using terms like Balance Sheet, assets, liabilities, owner's equity !!