Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 02-08-2004, 02:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You bring up a good point, Lisa, about keeping the curriculum fresh, but this can get expensive. For example, "Mr. Boredom" (my son) started taking saxophone lessons for which I pay a monthly lease payment plus the cost of the lessons. Now, after 8 months of sax lessons, he's decided he wants to learn the keyboard - and after one lesson - decided he'd *ALSO* like to take guitar lessons! He doesn't even OWN A GUITAR! I told him, when he masters the sax and keyboard, I'll think about the guitar lessons. I cannot afford anymore!

With the curriculum situation ... he's now in 8th grade. How does using whatever excites him at the moment work for high school? I understand they have to earn points in each subject. Does anyone have any suggestions for teaching a high schooler that gets bored quickly? He's a bright kid but not into books. THat was our dilemma the first three years. I thought the videos might work better and they did hold his attention longer than the previous curricula.

Any suggestions would be great appreciated.
Victoria
Old 02-08-2004, 06:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello Victoria,
I really can't give you advise on what is required for High School since we are in different states. There really are no "requirements" here in California. We are very free to follow the interests of our children here. Also, I realize if you have to constantly change curriculum that could be costly and again we don't ever go with whole curriculum, we use very little in the way of textbooks.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow, must be nice to homeschool in CA with no requirements! Here in PA we have one of the strictest HS laws around. We have to file an afidavit that we intend to homeschool. We need to keep a log of hours or days, days is easiest. We also need to file what subjects we intend to cover with the afidavit to make sure we meet our state HS laws. At the end of the year we have to turn in a portfolio showing progression in each subject, log of hours or days, and have the child evaluated by a licensed evaluator. Since we are enrolled in the cyber charter we are exempt from these requirements but will have to file the afidavit when our little guy turns eight. There are talks about changing the age to five but we're hoping that doesn't happen. They were talking about changing the whole HS law a while back but to my knowledge that didn't go through. Maybe one of these days they will.

Miss
www.misstonigifts.net
Old 02-11-2004, 10:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yep, you are blessed to have no requirements in California.

In Tennessee, we have to test every year of high school in addition to detailed record keeping. Although not nearly as stringent as Pennsylvania; we do need to file the curriculum we use, submit points accrued per subject, and hours spent schooling to our umbrella school, as well as grades and attendance. I'm not sure what else since we don't start 9th grade until the fall, but I guess it's time to start checking into it.

I emphathise with you Miss. I would probably have to submit close to the same thing to my state if I were registered with the state, but fortunately, we have the option of registering with a church-related umbrella school which makes me accountable to the school.

Victoria

Last edited by MidTnGal; 02-11-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Actually, a lot of homeschoolers submit way more than what is really required in PA. We don't have to tell them what curriculum we are using, if any. We just need to submit a basic layout of what we plan to teach for the year. I have seen portfolio's six inches thick! For some unknown reason people think you have to submit everything they did. The way the law reads here is to show progression in each subject. I sumbitted two or three pages for each subject from beginning, middle, and end along with the log of days which was just a check off of dates and the subjects for the day. Students do have to be tested in third, fifth, and eighth grades here also.

Miss
www.misstonigifts.net
Old 02-19-2004, 07:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think that homeschoolers submit a lot more than what is required in every state. I know that happens here as well. That's a big problem because the more the state can get from us and the more that we as parents are willing give up the more restrictions they will put on us. We have some really great state homeschool organizations here who do their best to educate parents on the requirements and our rights.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes, I'm in NY and it's got to be the strictest state as far as reporting goes, but I too see parents handing in pages upon pages. I think that all the paper work is too much for the Pupil Services rep, at least in our district, as I've never heard from any of them and I don't list much more than we're this in math and that in science, etc. I've seen IHIP reports (quarterly reports which require curriculum for next quarter, covered areas on last quarter, attendance and any unfinished work) be an inch thick as well. Too much. There's too much paper in NYS already, we don't need to help them along. I try and do less and less each year until I hear from them that it's not enough I'm going to keep it that way!

Jen
Old 02-19-2004, 10:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't have to submit anything to my state since I homeschool under an umbrella school. At the beginning of the year when we register, I submit what curriculum we use, then on Jan 15th & Jul 15th I submit attendance and grades. That's it!

Now, once we start high school next year, I'll keep more detailed records but I don't believe I have to submit that to the state, I'll just continue to submit what the umbrella school requires of me. I know I do have to keep some type of point system, but I'll delve deeper into that over spring break.

And GREAT NEWS!!! I found out that I do not have to test afterall. My umbrella does not require testing, they just recommend it. I'm breathing a sigh of relief; however, I am still going to have my son tested in April so I can see where his weaknesses are and where we need to work harder.

I thought parenting was tough! HA!
Old 03-30-2004, 04:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing

I have been homeschooling for 6 years, and it's been great! I just found this forum, so I'm not sure if I'm posting things right. I have 5 kids ages 2, 4, 6, 9, and 12. We have used a few curriculums, but mostly made up our own. My kids are in a virtual charter school this year and it has a really good curriculum. I don't want to do it again because the kids don't have any time to learn about what interests them and the teachers bug me because I don't need their help. I think these charter schools are great for most people who want to teach their children at home with the best materials and with help if they need it, though. It's just frustrating for us because we are so used to doing our own thing.

I hope to make a few friends here and I have tons of ideas to share, too.

~Wendy~
Old 04-02-2004, 07:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wendy, which virtual are you using? We are at Connections but I have been looking at another version that is avaiable in AZ.
K12.
Smiles
Denise