Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 08-25-2003, 10:03 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question Homeschooling Preschool-Kindergarten

My oldest little boy is 4 1/2. He misses the Kindergarten age cutoff which is ok with me. He will be more mature in a year and hopefully handle the school situation better. I am a teacher holding a current Oregon Teachng License. I am certified K-9 but am completely @ a loss on where to start with my son. He is bright and VERY active. I would like to work with him @ home on some phonics. He knows all the letters of the Alphabet, upper and lower case. He shows a real desire to be involved with books and we go to the library to check things out that he is interested in. I need some ideas on how to teach him in SHORT but effective lessons about phonics, blending and eventual reading. I could go buy a book but would rather have advice from moms who have done it before...can anyone help?
Old 09-07-2003, 01:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

homeschoolin'

What my daughter and I did, besides just using everyday activities to be part of the "lesson" was I made cards (similiar to index cards.) with words on them and we made sentences. Example: The cat is black. We'd repeat the words and sentence then I'd mix up the words and she'd put them back inorder and "read" the sentence. Remember, reading is memorization st first. Then you can do the same sort of stuff but with sounds: example: a card with c and cards with: at, ot, an, etc....My daughter also always loved worksheets and such. I have a zillion if you'd like me to mail or fax you some. Include him in normal everyday activities, cooking and measuring is an intro to math, as is grocery shopping etc.

Viviana
Old 09-07-2003, 02:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am trying also to homeschool my preschool son. He is 3 1/2 and will start kindergarten in two years. I am VERY interested to hear what you other awesome moms out there have to say about how to keep active preschoolers interested and excited about learning. I don't have any experience in teaching (except for Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, and AWANA) so any suggestions would be great!
Old 09-07-2003, 04:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

does he know sounds?

You said that he knows all the letters...did teach him the names of the letters or what the letters "say"?

If you've taught him what all the letters say, then you are ready to start with any "easy reader" book you can get from the library.

If he only knows their names, it's time to start telling him the sounds each letter makes. (The "A" can say... /a/, /ay/, /ah/.)

I use the "Bob Books" and teach the letters introduced in each book, then help the child read the book...for example, in the first book, the letters introduced are 't', 'm', 's', and 'a' (short sound). I make a card for each letter and point those letters out in every place we see letters and ask the child to tell me what the letter says. Usually by the end of the first week, my children can read the first book--after that, it's about a book every two days or so.

God Bless!

Michelle (CamsShel)
Old 09-07-2003, 04:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I homeschool my 6 yr dd. We did Kindergarten last year and used the book Comprehensive Curriculum of Basic Skills, Grade K published by McGraw-Hill Children's Publishing. We are also using The Core Knowlege Series: What Your Kindergartner (1st, etc) Needs to Know. I also used alphabet flash cards. She's reading three letter words... I know that some other children are reading alot more... but I'm fine with her being "normal" She is more advanced in math... she loves that and does alot of worksheets that I find on the internet. I have a friend who used Teach Your CHild To Read In 100 Easy Lessons and had good success with that. Another friend uses "Explode the Code" and likes that. Hope that helps.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:18 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks to everyone for posting replies to my homeschool question. Yes...Nathan knows the sounds to most of the letters so a review and finish up on sounds seems to be in order...I will visit my public library and see what beginning books they have to offer and a lot of you have suggested flashcards so that can be done too. I feel a real sense of responsibility to get him off to the best start possible and continue to foster a love and excitement for learning...This is a great way to stay in touch with all you moms out there!
Old 09-08-2003, 11:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have been homeschooling for over 9 years now and I just wanted to add a couple of things. At 4-1/2 your greatest joy will be just "learning" from your son. I know a lot of people that have pushed their kids too early and found later they were frustrated with the whole learning process.

That said, I taught all 4 of my children to read by the time they were 4, and am now teaching my 4-year-old grandson (I still have a 5th grader and 8th grader at home)!

The absolute best reading program out there is the A Beka Reading program. We use several different curriculums in our studies, but this is the best one by far for reading. After only about 3 months of "work" my kids were reading at grade level 2 or above. We have even used this program at our church to teach adults who need to learn how to read. The reading program is very inexpensive considering the gain, and you can almost always find used copies.

We also have used the Bob Books that another poster refers to as extra readers during the learning process. These are also excellent books and can be purchased very cheaply through Scholastic Books. You can sign up as a teacher and have them send you fliers through which you can order these books.

Oh, gee, I could go on and on. If you would like to talk some more, email me at [Please use the FC email or PM option] and I will be glad to give you more information. I was "on my own" as far as knowing what to do way back when I began homeschooling and I am quick (sometimes too quick my kids say) to try to help new homeschoolers get up and going.

Look forward to hearing from you and have a great experience!
Old 09-09-2003, 05:24 PM
kellyandkids

Phonics: 100 Easy Reading Lessons

For your little guy use the Five In A Row (FIAR) study guides. There is a pre-FIAR set of study guides also. Here's what it is about: read the same good book each day for five days. Each day you then follow with an activity highlighting the math, or geography, or social custom, or art style, or science... Get the picture? Kids love these classic books; I was surprised to find how many of them I already had. And a great way to work with children of different ages.

Go ahead and find a support group even now. I love borrowing materials to give them a try. I am happy to loan them out; God gave me them to use for awhile - they're his stuff, so I make sure to share. I didn't have to purchase math (Saxon) this year; they are borrowed.

Rule : No books on the kitchen counter so that I don't have to worry about water spills -- as much.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:07 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks!!!

Thank you for all of your help ladies
I am sorry it took me so long to reply/post...DS#2 is teething and he has had his first 3 teeth come in during a one week spanOUCH! I am really looking forward to teaching my DS#1...usually I am teaching other people's children so this will be refreshing...I plan to start our "School " next week...I've got a little old 50's style school desk all repainted and many school supplies put together within arms reach. I also worked on a daily schedule for him from his waking up to his bedtime...hopefully this will help get the whole
DF(don't know if this is correct abbrev.for Dear Family) ready for school next year Thank you again everyone!!!

Old 12-23-2003, 07:15 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I did Homeschool with my preschooler and the preschooler I babysit. We love it. You will be surprised when you start reading how much homeschooling is going on in your house already, we just don't call it that.
My kids help me cook, they get to measure (math), mix and pour and follow the recipe (directions and taking turns).
We read constantly, play I SPY Memory which you can pick up at any book store. We do What doesn't fit, I started with a workbook, now I just cut out pictures from old magazines and keep them in a folder and make my own pages then recycle the pictures.
We color, paint, learn what colors mixed create, we work on basic letter formation. I did invest in a writing book and also a large package of beginning writing paper at our school supply.
We take field trips, library, fire station, grocery, post office, carpet store, bank, church, etc. etc.
It is not a difficult thing to do. I also am good friends with several day care providers, thus play dates to work on those ever important social skills.