Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 02-25-2002, 09:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Where does she start????

I have a friend who is starting to homeschool after the March Break. She is taking her son out of school then, he is in Grade 6. She doesn't have a computer so I am asking for help for her. He is so far behind in reading skills, math, etc... She doesn't know what to get as far as currriculum or where to start. We homeschool as well and I have given her some reference books, ideas for curriculum but thought I would ask all of you what you thought. Her son, due to falling so far behind, has very low self esteem now and thinks he is "dumb". She feels with his reading that they should start right from the beginning but her son might feel even worse using Grade 1/2/3 books?!?! Help!!!
Thanks so much for listening and if you have any ideas I would appreciate it and pass it on!!

Heather
Old 02-26-2002, 06:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I've seen a discussion about this before ...

... on the e-mail list I moderate. I'll have to check the archives and get back to you about it. Better yet, I'll just ask the question again, and get back to you when I get some answers.

Kelly H.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Here's a program for your friend to try!

Heather,

I found a program that is recommended for older students. It is a CD-Rom, so it costs a bit more than some programs, but it is also reusable.

You can read about the program here:

[link deleted no longer a valid website]

If I get any more suggestions from my cyberfriends, I'll let you know!

Kelly H.

Last edited by mom2-4; 09-08-2008 at 02:49 AM.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Here's another program!

Heather,

I just received another note about phonics for older children. The program is called Reading Reflex - at the site, click on Phono-Graphix to learn more about Reading Reflex.

This book is also available from Amazon.com, and it is less than $20.

Kelly H.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks so much!!

Kelly,

The sites are great and I will definitely pass all of this on! This board is great! How would I have ever known about these two programs!!! I appreciate you taking the time SO much!! Have a great day Kelly!

Heather
Old 02-27-2002, 05:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have four more!

Heather,

give me some time today and I'll post the other four recommendations I've received. I just have to check them out personally - I hate it when a well-meaning friend sends me something and I don't check it and pass it on and it turns out to be something awful!

Case in point: I passed on info about a publisher who was looking for people to submit children's books, and I didn't check the site first. Turns out they print w*tchcr*ft books!!

So, I'm checking these sites before I post them here.

Kelly H.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

[link deleted no longer valid website]

Sing Spell Read and Write is available at Rainbow Resource Center - just do a search for Phonics, and then products that start with S.

[link deleted, no longer a valid website] by Joyce Herzog - I sat in a workshop for this the first year I ever homeschooled. She really knows what she's talking about, but it may seem childish to your friend's son.

I would try the Earobics first, then the Teaching Reading at Home and then Scaredy Cat and SSRW. But, this is your friend's decision, so it is really up to her! She knows her son best.

I'll keep you posted if I get any more suggestions!

Kelly H.

Last edited by mom2-4; 09-08-2008 at 02:48 AM.