Homeschool Getting Hard! - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 04-13-2003, 11:07 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Homeschool Getting Hard!

I have 2 sons, ages 9 and 5. I have been homeschooling my oldest, Patrick, for 3 years now. He is in the 4th grade. It is getting harder and harder for me. I have used different curriculum, and this year we got Switched On Schoolhouse by Alpha Omega in math only. Pat has done so much better in Math, but I STILL have a hard time helping him in the tough areas. Math has never been my best subject, and it seems 4th graders are learning things I don't remember doing until high school! (missing numbers, etc.) Sometimes when he gets stuck and I get stuck I just have to make him wait until his dad gets home to help him... I am getting discouraged and worry that I won't be able to teach him myself much longer, but I don't want him in public school. Our 5 year old went to head start the past 2 years and I think we have decided he will go to kindergarten next year. His personality is much more boisterous than Patrick.. Pat is quiet, mellow, well behaved... Nick is a loud, energetic red head. It is impossible for me to teach Pat when Nick is home. I really don't want either one of them to go to public school... what can I do??!! We plan to get Switched On Schoolhouse in all subjects for Pat next year, we really like how it works. But oooooo that math! UGH! Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel so incompetent right now. Also any suggestions for my little red headed ball of energy??
Tanya
- Corrie ten Boom -
~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ *
Old 04-23-2003, 10:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I commend you on what you're doing. As a former teacher, I know it's challenging. Do you have any friends who are also homeschooling? Maybe you could "swap" a couple of hours a week -- you teach theirs something that's a really strong subject for you, and let them teach your son Math. Hope it works!
Old 04-23-2003, 11:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Home schooling

I homeschooled all 3 of my children through graduation. Two went on to college and the third one got married. I am a little prejudiced, but think they are all extremely intelligent. We started out with Christian Light, Harrisonburg, Va. We got bogged down with their science expeirments. It was to costly. We tried Alpha and Omega and found it was not very user friendly. We finally found Basic Christian Education in Nottawa, MI. It was so user friendly and self explanatory. It made things go so much better. We also used it at our church's Christian School. It is the best program I've seen for the money. My biggest problem was with my son. Keeping him on task turned my hair gray. He would read the stuff and know the answers, but getting him to do the writing was another matter. His last 4 years, his average was 98.4. In the 8th grade, we thought about doing something different for him. He was tested and we found that he could skip 2 grades if he went to Public school. No way was I going to let him do that. When he got to 9th grade, we let him take classes at the Jr. College in our area. By the time he was finished, he was able to start his first job the day after he turned 18 and he is still there after 9 years, so I guess it worked for him.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

difficult 4th grade

Hello,
I am fairly new to hsing..

but wondering if you have a supervising teacher ?She may be able to help you with finding a tutor .
(we can choose the supervising teacher option in iowa.)
one lady in our area is a retired teacher .. and tutors hs kids at her home..
just a thought..

Liz
Old 04-23-2003, 02:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Homeschooling

Hi TAnya,
Hang in there! Don't give up! You won't regret it. I'm sure you've heard about how many boys are just hard to teach. They don't seem to catch on as quickly as girls do. I have two of each, and I find this true.
It sounds like you're doing a great job-just remember your son is still only nine, and because GOD gave him to YOU and your husband you CAN teach him.
My 12 yr. old son didn't really catch on to reading until he was ten! The several years before we had started phonics, and he just didn't get it. He knew the sounds but it wasn't coming together for him. The year he was ten, and we began school...WOW he just took off. Now is reads on a highschool level, and I am amazed at what he CAN read.
Math may not make sense to your son right now, and he may struggle. Make sure he gets the basics down...adding, subtracting..div. and multiplication. first. You wouldn't believe the adults who hesitate when having to do basic addition. He can proceed from there.
Please have a look at this website...it's www.homeschoolreviews.com and Mom's post about products they've used and recommend, or not.
Math U See is a super math program that is really popular, you can use it for several years, and you can also use it for another child, by replacing the workbooks. It really shows the child and helps them understand math concepts. It requires an adult to show the lesson-so if you want something your son can do just on his own..you might want to try something else.
Good luck!
M
Relax and don't stress out! Good luck!!
Old 04-23-2003, 11:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I HS'd my 30 y/o DD, who is now HSing her 9 y/o DD. Although I'm not actually involved personally, I still enjoy visiting this website and am sure you can find some answers there. They are a fantastic group of HSing parents!

Best wishes - and hang in there! You are most certainly not alone in your feelings but remember, "feelings" do NOT change "facts".....you ARE the best teacher for YOUR children!

http://homeschoolchristian.com
Old 04-24-2003, 04:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Do you belong to a homeschool group? I'm sure there is someone in your group that is great at math but not so good at something else? Maybe you could swap time with a subject or find another homeschooler who will tutor your son in the areas that you are unsure of. I'm afraid of getting to that point to, as math is not my strong point, but I friend of mine who have five kids, said she found a program that was very user friendly and she and her dd learned math together! She said she thought she was bad at math but it was more how she was taught than she was bad at it. Now she's all set for the rest of them b/c she's good at math. It may be the program that you're using. I'm not there yet, so I don't know. We use Ray's Arithmetic b/c I like going back to what worked for many years and it has such a logical progression of skills without all the extra's thrown in to throw off that progression. I know many who like Saxon math b/c it's so hands on, with lots of manipulatives. Maybe you could ask other homeschoolers what they use, and it you're not part of a group, find one. The help will be invaluable.

Jen

Old 04-24-2003, 05:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

another idea

Our family is completing our 10th year of homeschooling, and for many years I did it all myself. We have 5 children. This year I needed help, however, and we have found HomeSat to be the best answer for us. It is a satellite system from BJU. We tape all our classes for the next week in blockfeeds, and the kids get a high quality education in our home, with me supervising and helping whenever needed. My children have all really bloomed this year.

Just another idea, in case there some out there who do not know about this option.

You can check it out at www.homesat.com.

Karen
Old 04-24-2003, 02:12 PM
New Neighbor

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Newbie

Howdy There!
If you love your kids (sounds like you do!) and you can read (I'll bet you can!) you can hs them. Did you know that hsing is not only for the kids? It's for the parents too. Children learn in different ways at different age levels. I won't go on and on about it but there is an article written by Harvey and Laurie Bluedorn entitled "10 Things to do with your child before age 10" You can read it at http://www.triviumpursuit.com They have some other good articles about homeschooling. They are a very helpful homeschooling family whose ministry is to pass on what they have learned. They have helped me a bunch!!! Read their article about how children learn in different ways at different stages and it just may turn your life around!
Hang in there, girl, you CAN do this!