Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 05-16-2003, 09:00 PM
kellyandkids

Food for thought

The public school system can be viewed from a different persective. It is an artifical an environment with artificial rules and artificially stratifies children by age and not by ability. It is a false society.

Perhaps your son would do better in the real world where people expect results of a different kind. Where making mistakes isn't wrong but it is something you learn from and fix. Where labels don't count; results do. How many jobs have you had that wanted to know what your high school gpa was? Zero.

Homeschoolers have long dealt with that question of socialization. Frankly, we are getting really good at explaining that the reason we took our kids out of public school is that was not the kind of socialization we want.

My kids don't judge people by their age but look for matching interests. My kids talk with adults easily and look them straight in the eye while they do. My kids don't care about clothes beyond are they comfortable. I go for clean also. Some of the expressions used in this thread are beyond me as I haven't watched those shows or those performers. Those things aren't important anymore.

A homeschooled kids are free to be themselves and follow their own interests. No following the crowd or worrying about what someone else might think. It is a different world on this side of the fence. And it is much more natural and kid friendly.

I will say try it for a year. Take it one year at a time. However, if you are withdrawing from public school, there will a burnout on structure. Do something structured with family jobs and housework but let the academic pressure ease -- for up to a year. Even if he ends up being graduated by you (you're the principal now) a year later than his present friends, so what. He might need to come back to realilty and find his own voice again.

If you are taking a family vacation, put him in charge of the budget and intinerary and navigating. In home schooling, we call this a unit study. It is real life masquarading as school; we do it all the time. Shhh - don't call it school. Have him read relavent books. Right now Lewis and Clark could be your ticket.

Wait until after that to decide about any formal curriculum. Many many homeschoolers do not purchase the public school in a box in any form. WE JUST READ GOOD BOOKS - PERIOD.

And I could go on about how much fun that is...so I won't.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

mom2-4 - I believe you are correct it that if a person has had a past history the teachers/admin. do tend to blame that person. They may deny it but..... It is so easy to say "well you were at fault in the past."

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 05-17-2003, 06:41 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Kellyandkids, thank you so much for your insight on socializing, now that I really think about it, although I was always in public school, I always related better to the adults. Plus he has plenty of people, in our little "park" to socalize with.

The thing that really gets me is that in spite of 1 or 2 elderly grouches around here, all the adults say about how he is so well behaved and well mannered. Even two of the "harsher" parents have said that, and they don't understand why the 1 or 2 elderly have a problem with him. So, I believe there is a problem in the school.

Thank you also Redcardinalbird, that makes me feel better to not have immediate family agree with me on the fact that they do pick on the "reputation" of the child.

The strange thing about all this is he had very few problems, until they had a bus evacuation(sp?) DS sits in the front of the bus, and when the kids in the back of the bus got off they all started running amuck, and getting back on and off, and DS, could not get off, so he was suspended from the bus for 10 days. We called the school to tell them what happened and that the bus evac was not being performed correctly. Well, that is when they started on him saying now that he is ADHD, and they don't know what to do with him, on and on. All out of no where all of a sudden. The school had only contacted about 4 times so far this year. Before this incident, but I think the bus thing ticked them off. So now they will single him out.

I am sorry, but if that bus had been in an accident those kids may have been getting back on the bus, especially if the bus driver had been incapacitated(sp?). I was only contacting the school for the safetys sake of all the children, I was by no means trying to get my son out of trouble. They transport kids for the private school, so there are elementary school aged children on that bus.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 05-17-2003, 06:56 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Caron, I didn't even think about finals, but, being how dumb the public school system is here, sometimes they don't have finals. I asked him and he said none of the teachers have mentioned finals, there are only 15 days of school left that includes the last day of school which is only 2 hours, and they usually use that for cleaning up the school, and saying their final farewells. And DD, who was in the 8th grade last year, said they did not take finals last year.

They have some meeting on monday morning because they have to by law decide what to do with him They invited me, to attend, but DH, said he is worried that they want to "beat" me up so to speak. I would like to attend.

I think they want to keep him in the middle school. That is why they are going about it this way, they see academically he will pass. But, if they don't let him back in he won't pass. In spite of not having finals, he has a few projects and some tests, that if he doesn't take, he won't pass. I was hoping he would have a nice fresh start at the middle school. But, they already contacted the High school principal about this incident, which I don't think was necessary.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 05-17-2003, 09:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Karen - I agree with Caron. Go to the meeting and keep them on task. If he is taken out I would turn in the projects and request to take the tests. If the administration is the problem talk directly to the teacher.

I would also make an appointment and talk to the high school principal if you decide you are going to continue public school. Tell him/her your view and how you are willing to work with them. This lets them know you will be an involved parent.

I have also heard about the caffeine issue and ADHD. If he does not like coffee you can give regular mountain dew or some other drink high in caffeine.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 05-18-2003, 08:42 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have decided that I will attend the meeting. I told DH that and he does not agree, but is not keeping me from going. I told him that if they are expelling him for the rest of the year, I want to know right away, and get a jump on the homeschooling so I can go ahead and get him started right away. He actually said to start him for next year than also, we will see how the last few weeks of this year go.

Caron that is a very good question, what they do the last 2 weeks of school? I think they just finish up whatever they are doing, and let it at that. There are several school districts in our county and I know that two of them do not have finals.

There are a total of fifteen days for all students in the school district. So, that takes him down to ten days, as of right now to attend, and 1 of those days are cleaning up, one day is games? and the last day is only 2 hours. So he really only has about 8 academic days to attend.

In the past I thought maybe he was ADHD, but now I don't feel that way, I think he is just very active. I refuse to put him on drugs, I have seen several people go on drugs for that and it caused problems with them.

Like I said I do not have problems with him at home, and my mom takes the kids for weekends here and there, and she does not see a problem with him. And, she had two boys of her own.

Old 05-18-2003, 09:06 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I know he is bored in school right now everything is review, I believe that is their way around finals. They do not even take mid-terms. Imagine that, we didn't when I was in school either. I was in the district right next to this one. I actually moved to this district thinking it would be better. Well, guess I was wrong.

The only reason I am concerned about the last few weeks of this year is that he has tests for some classes and a project for another and he needs those for final grade, if they are not handed in he will fail. He has this habit of doing good the first marking period, slacking drastically the second and third (failing) and then doing great the last marking period to pass. Now, are we talking about a stupid kid, I don't think so. If he figured this one out in 5th grade already, I would have to say he is not lacking in the brain department.

Old 05-20-2003, 08:37 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well, I went to the meeting yesterday, and it was not about what actually happened this time it was just about his help he is getting because, he can not get along with some of the teachers. They seem to think he will pass, and they are letting him do his work at home. So we will see how the last few days of school go, before I make any decision. Then will see what happens next year. Then will decide whether to homeschool or not.

I am just afraid I will not stick to it, that is the main reason that I am not homeschooling him. I am such a cop out, wish I would have the nerve to just up and start homeschooing him.

Old 05-20-2003, 12:41 PM
kellyandkids

So what does your son want to do? That will determine what direction you will take. If he buys in to homeschooling, then he will be more responsible is helping set up a course of study and a keeping a schedule. Remember, take it one year at a time.

And I think you need to start. NOW. Today. Seriously, you have all summer to 'practice' your new lifestyle. It really is a lifestyle.

Then re-evaluate the week before school starts. Or the week after it starts. Take a family vacation that week - it is so nice to go when the crowds are gone.

Call today and find a support group leader you can talk to about how easy or hard it will be. Pull all the books your library has on homeschooling. Find a family homeschooling teen boys and see if you can get an older one to tutor your boy in some subject such as math or science or small engines or building bird houses. If he sees that other kids do this, and still have a life, then the transistion will be easier. He needs to know (and so do you) that you are not alone. The support groups might not meet at all during the summer or just monthly for picnics as ours do. But there will some local families willing to help you. Just ask.

Do just one or two subjects over the summer. Math can be trying those math trick books from the library. Read some good literature such as a biography of someone in a career area of his interest or a historical period; make a timeline. And then something else fun like volunteer at the animal shelter or food shelf or kids summer day camps...engage him in real life and set him up to have a positive experience not related to academics.

Let us know how it goes. Holler if you need help.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Karen - glad your meeting went okay and was not a bashing like you thought it might be.

Good luck on your decision as I know it will be a hard one. Know you will do what is best for you and your family.