Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 04-16-2003, 09:07 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't have room on my counters for text books (or mixing bowls) right now. I've been in such chaos the last couple of months with how badly my allergies have been kicking my butt. It kills me that my son now will go into the living room and fuss at me for the remote to turn on the tv! I knew we had it on a little too much on the really bad days...but I didnt' realize just how bad it was until they finally got me on Zytec to alleviate the severity. We're going to visit Grandma for several weeks and she only turns her tv on to watch a video, so we'll be able to ween back off of it. Maybe I can finally talk hubby into packing it away into the spare room so it's not available. I'm such a tube-head on my own...don't need encouragement or temptation in that regard. *grin*

Elijahco was one of the websites I had listed to check out from a 'net search a couple of months ago. Also came across Manners of the Heart that looked a little interesting (my social graces aren't where I would like them to be so I thought it might be helpful for the entire household)...has anybody come across this and are there any opinions on it? Is this too off-topic? I should probably check out the rest of the HomeSchooling forum, huh? *lol*

It's really late, and DS is still having trouble going to sleep (starting to sound a little croupy so we've been doing the shower/night air all evening) so I need to skedaddle.

Thanks again.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:11 AM
kellyandkids

Allergies and clutter and TV/screen time

You don't have private email activated so...

It was 90 here and thus the pollen was out last Monday. Yesterday we had a long freezing rain with snow or ice still on the ground this morning. This weather system stretches to the Carolinas. Hope you're above the flood levels! How's the croupy boy? My girls never did this but my son has. What a sound.

Clutter is a problem. But that is another bulletin board. Essentially, everything must have a home. And get returned there. I always keep trying.

Joke is that homeschoolers insulate with walls lined with books. I had a door-to-door book seller say that he had never seen so many books in a home. That was nothing, he hadn't seen the basement library yet. We keep our little library's circulation the highest in the system; they like us homeschoolers. Many of the FIAR books are in the library or via interlib loan.

TV is a problem for everyone. I tape things and then discover I wasn't really that interested anyway. There is enough on PBS so I limit the kids to that channel. No cable; no temptation; great savings. And no TV/computer games if they have a friend over to play. Real interactive play required.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

11 years ago our oldest daughter was assaulted at school. She was a very good student and very shy. To make a long story short, we tried home schooling as a last resort. It worked very well and the local home school group was helpful in getting us started. We tried to homeschool a younger son as well the following year, but he resisted all efforts and went back to school after a year. Home schooled our daughter through high school and she was accepted at a local community college. Just started home schooling our youngest child last year due to slight learning problems (which the others had as well). What a delight. He is very happy and had none of the feelings about being "stupid" that his older brother had in school. In some subjects he is ahead of his peers and in writing is a bit behind. We spend as much time as necessary for him to learn - sometimes a little more, sometimes not much at all. Bottom line, home schooling works well for any child having problems at school no matter what type of problem they are having. We have one daughter, with no learning problems, who stayed in public school all the way through. The best advice is to try it and see if it works. Each child is different. Good luck to you.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:16 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

homeschooling high school step-son

Well, I had thought that my step-son was doing a little better. His attitude toward me has been so much better lately and he and I have not been butting heads much at all. Then he came home from school yesterday and said that he and a friend of his got kicked out of school for three days for chewing tobacco (and spitting it on the carpet) at school. We knew that somehow he had been getting the tobacco and chewing. We told him that we didn't approve at all and better never see it at our house. We were realistic in the fact that we couldn't stop him from doing it at other places where we weren't there to supervise though. So anyway, he's out of school now for three days because of it. I was so upset. Now, I really think that I should at least give homeschooling a try for him. Maybe getting away from some of those problem friends of his would help as well. I would like to be able to keep him out of trouble and get him a decent education at the same time and the only way I see that happening is to homeschool him. He doesn't want to attend college at all. He just wants to work after school with his dad (who owns his own business doing plumbing, electrical, heating, and cooling) and that's it. So I think that if I home school him after we are done with the lessons for the day he could go work with his dad (that way he is also learning a skill for a job later on). What do you all think?

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO GIVES ME STRENGTH"! (And boy do I need the strength right now)
Old 04-18-2003, 10:22 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I say that sounds great at least he has somwhere to work, my son does not. But, he wants to join one of the forces, after high school!!

Karen
Old 04-18-2003, 10:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

homeschooling

MOM2-4

I wouldn't want my son to join the forces. That is so scary. How do you feel about that?

Yes, my step-son is lucky in the fact that he could have a job right away. I don't know what we would do if it wasn't for my husband owning his own business to help him out because he doesn't have any skills (at least not right now) and he doesn't want to go to college. He's barely making it in public school now let alone go to college. That's why I think I need to homeschool him. I think he would have a much better chance of doing well in his school work plus I think he would be a better behaved kid. I guess we'll just have to try it next year and see.

I will pray for your son and his decision to join the forces. How many years does he have before he is done with school?

GOD LOVES YOU!
Old 04-18-2003, 11:41 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Actually, I support his decision to join the forces, he is just unsure of which one he wants to join. He is in 8th grade right now, so if he passes, notice how I say IF, he has 4 years to decide after this year!!!

Karen
Old 04-20-2003, 03:19 PM
kellyandkids

Support for future troops

Karen,

8th grade is a good time to look into the military academies. Is he reading about other men who have started their careers at Westpoint? My oldest daughter is interested in police work. I will be frightened for her but I won't stop her from being a police office or or a firefighter. Those people deserve out utmost respect.

Katy-kat,

Dad-the-plumber-the-boss sounds wonderful! Ask tax preparer about wages for your son from your self-owned business. If he is not college bound then money in his name won't hurt his first year of scholarship or grant opportunities. And then he can earn his own car - only a year from that permit. Make him be a really responsible employee and then a business partner. He needs to see the overhead part also. Read Rich Dad's book series especially Rich Kid Smart Kid by Robert Kiyosaki. Might be very helpful. In the library.

But start home schooling by requiring a report about why people should chew as opposed to smoke tobacco. He might accidently discover some imortant information. If that doesn't work, ask your local cancer hopital for a survivor-volunteer to show him what happens to your face when they have to cut the cancerous parts off. (Not the handsome Maroboro man anymore. Just found some old ads so show my kids about the power of advertising.)

Good luck!!!
Old 05-16-2003, 06:35 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Please help, someone had pm'd me a url for a website in PA for homeschoolers, it is apparently free, and they work with you all the way, and it sounded like something I would be interested in, if you read this please send me the URL again. I am so sorry about this, but the last time the link did not work!

The reason I need this again, is that ds, got in trouble in school again, I am afraid he will be permanantely suspended this time. There is a meeting on monday morning, for them to decide what to do. They could not tell me what they are deciding to do with him.

I am really getting tired of this. Why can't he stay out of trouble in school, is fine at home-just a typical teenage boy (I think?). This partiuclar incident happened in the hallway, so it is not like he was bored, with class.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 05-16-2003, 07:18 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Actually both of them are at fault, they were messing around, and the one got mad and the other got mad yadda yadda yadda, well they ended up "stabbing" each other with a pencil. They both feel really bad about what happened and apologized to each other even before I got to the school, I live about 5 mins away.

But, anyway the school is pressing simple assault charges on both the boys, the cop was at the school already when I got there.

As, of right now they have decided to suspend him for 5 days. It could possibly be more than that after they do an investigation.

The school prinicpal and the cop told me that there were several witnesses, one was a teacher.

Sometimes, I feel as though they (the school) pick on him. I don't know maybe it is just the mother instinct in me. To protect my son.

I should have just gone with my instinct a month ago and homeschooled him. I am just not sure if it would be the right thing to do. I think he needs to learn how to act in a public situation without me around. He does alright, here in the "park"-now.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!