Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Homeschooling

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 03-04-2003, 01:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Help, Subject/Verb Agreement

Hi, I have been on this box of bolts all day looking for worksheets on 'is or are', 'has or have','isn't or aren't','there is or there are', etc...

I think this is called subject/verb agreement.

We are using Abeka now, first year, and I love it. Only problem is, ds is in third grade and he has not had the good abeka foundation that dd is getting in first grade. Alot of this stuff is very new to him, plus, he has adht, so, the thoughts don't go the normal sequence like with other kids.

He is having trouble with these, for some reason, he refuses to read the sentences to even see if they make sense. When I read them, he knows right off that he has chosen the wrong word. But, in the mean time, he has turned in work that is very substandard.

How long do I sit on each subject. I know he will not get stuff right off, but, we have gotten so far behind, trying to drill this stuff into him. One of the main reasons we homeschool is because in public schools, the kids simply move on to the next area reguardless if they have 'gotten' it or not. Well, I find myself wanting to do the same thing. HOW long can we sit on one subject....

ANyway, any ideas on finding worksheets for extra practice.? That is what helps him, is practice, but, again, we get further and further behind. I have been looking and will continue. Thanks for any ideas....

Thanks,
Be blessed,
Beckie
Old 03-09-2003, 12:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You are right. It is called subject/verb agreement. Here is a real good site for anything grammer related. http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/ Now this is for a refresher for college students but it may give you some ideas for your ds. I use this site constantly. I just went back to college after twenty years off.

If you can turn the lesson into a game, he may do better with it. I know that is how I am. I have adhd too. Good luck and I hope this site can give you some help.

Anna

Oh, I forgot to ask. Are you homeschooling? If you are, check with some of the church schools in your area and see if they have any worksheets or word games.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Try this site. It has lots of resources:
http://www.surfnetkids.com/grammar.htm

This one looks like a lot of fun:
http://www.chompchomp.com/menu.htm
(It will get you to the main list)

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2003, 04:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

subject/verb agreement

Here a couple quick ideas:

quia.com It has many subject areas, but I believe you could find fun practice games, etc. under the speech/language section

funbrain.com Another educational site, should have an english/grammar section that might help you

Another idea: Try a search under speech/language/grammar/education type subjects and see what else you might find.

Good luck!
Old 03-10-2003, 10:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle This site is too cool for kids!!!!!

Funbrain.com and go to grammer gorillas, my son and niece love it! BTW what is ADHT?

Thanks, Stacie
Old 03-10-2003, 10:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Worksheet Factory....Don't know if this will help or not?????
http://www.schoolhousetech.com/index.htm

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND, AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE
Old 03-10-2003, 06:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just another thought...

I homeschool my son, he is 12 in the 7th grade. Each year is a building block for the next year. We stayed on nouns verbs and adjective for forever.

Your children seem quite young to be worried about this topic at the moment. My sons spelling was terrible, and I left it alone for at least 3 years, and he finally has gotten the idea. They are learning even when we think they aren't. As long as you use good grammer around them, I think they pick alot of it up on their own.

If you are doing something productive with each of them everyday, you are right on task, and they will be too. Haven't met a homeschooler yet that was going backwards.;-)
Old 03-10-2003, 06:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Also, freeworksheets.com

gotta go bye.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

try this site www.sitesforteachers.com

There are lots of links here and I'm sure that if look you will find some that will help you. He will get the hang of it eventually, just keep trying. English grammar can be confusing!

You might try schoolexpress.com also.

Good Luck!

Lisa
Old 04-03-2003, 07:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Lightbulb

Here's a site not mentioned yet.

http://www.teachers.net/lessons/

They have a lot of different subjects. And lesson plans for teachers and are free. Hope this will help some. My son is in the fourth grade and is just now getting this at school. Not to mention he also has a hard time learning to read and is already 11 years old. Good Luck with everybody.