Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Homeschooling

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 12-04-2002, 10:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Anyone homeschooling one child?

Are there any moms out there that are homeschooling one child? I've really started seriously considering homeschooling my son. He's only 2 1/2 right now but I want to put a lot of thought into it. We do want more children but it took us a while to get pregnant with him, so there is always the chance that it won't happen again. I'm just concerned about the social issues of him being the only one home. If there are more children being homeshooled together than at least they have each other! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-05-2002, 07:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have a few friends that are homeschooling their "only child" and they face different challenges than I do.

They have more one-on-one time with their child because there are no siblings vying for attention. Therefore, mom can teach more in-depth and longer, and the child gets ahead academically.

But, when mom moves on to other household tasks, the child must entertain themselves - no siblings to play with.

They can attend more outside activities (gym class, scouting, art classes, etc.) because they only have to pay for one child. We do very few outside activities because we just can't afford it with five children.

These outside activities help the child build friendships and learn 'social graces' that they don't experience in their family of three. We've had one boy at our house numerous times - he's best-friends with my oldest - and he always likes to visit, but he likes to go home, where it's quiet, too!

You can pick up and go with one child easier than with a houseful. Shopping trips, medical appointments, volunteer work, vacations ... the learning opportunities are endless!
Old 12-08-2002, 04:45 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

I homeschool my only child. He's in 8th and this is the 3rd year hm schooling him.

I have had people suggest that he doesn't get enough socialization, but people don't understand only children. I am an only child and we are use to being alone, and are usually content. We are close to our mothers/fathers. Also, my son get socialization through his church friends. This year he will be old enough to "work" and wants to work at the local grocery store.

I do agree with everything homewriter says.

noah2000 - I would strongly suggest starting now homeschooling, not formally, but there is things you can start with. ABC's, counting, the normal stuff. It amazes me that people don't teach their kids basic stuff and let the school district do it starting in kindergarten. I only wish I did not wait until 6th grade to HS my son!

I guess if you're seriously thinking about it, is find out you're state and school district's policy on HSing. I hear horror stories on how uncooperative the district/state can be. Here in NY, friends in other school districts are not as lucky as me. My school is so helpful allowing me borrow books.

And if you ever do want to send your child to public school you can always do so. I'm thinking about sending my son back for 9th, but only thinking. I may send him and pull him out if I don't think he should be there. With NY state, you can pull them out anytime of the year.

I hope all of this makes sense and hope this is what you're looking for. I ramble at times and forget to finish my thoughts because I'm onto another thought!

If you have any other questions, PM me!!!

Old 12-19-2002, 12:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I homeschool preschool an only child. He gets plenty of socialization through trips to the beach, the grocery store, Sunday School, a preschool missions class he is in, a preschool choir he is in, play dates with other kids, interaction with our neighbors and friends, etc.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for bringing this up!

My son is almost 2 and he's going to be our only, and I'm planning to homeschool him. It was so nice to read thoughts from homeschooling moms of only children here! Nice to know that my son isn't going to be a freak just because he'll have no siblings AND he'll be taught at home by me ;-)

If he's going to be a freak, it'll be because his father and I are freaks LOL.

Teresa ... looking forward to homeschooling!
Old 01-08-2003, 06:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

only children

I am a homeschooling mother of one (for now). My daughter is almost six and this is her Kindergarten year. Being an only child, entertaining herself is the most natural thing in the world. She doesn't rely on other children to keep her occupied so that's not a concern of ours. I also don't believe it's nessessary, better, or even practical for children to be educated in large groups of peers their own age. When else in this life will we be segregated by age? Not with our neighbors, co-workers etc. I believe my daughter thrives partly because of the diversity of the people to whom she is exposed. Adults, children older and younger than herself, and of course, children her own age as well. I like having had her to myself foro six years before adding another child to this family (due in Feb 2003). By the time my son is ready for lessons with me, my daughter will be capable of studying by herself for chunks of time. Sometimes we take on projects with another family so that we can share activities and not everyday is the same but I wouldn't let it stop us even if we didn't have that cooperative relationship. Enjoy homeschooling your only child. What an absolutely precious time you'll have with him/her.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:36 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

Welcome to the family carmenblack

Make sure you check out the many, many threads on this site.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am homeschooling an "Only" also. He is almost 11 now. We have been at it for 4 years. Boy has time flew by.

I agree that you get more one on one time and that an 'only' can be content and entertain themselves. He is very close to his father, grandmother, uncles and me. We make an effort to have him in differing sizes of groups. From 4H, Cooking Classes, P.E. classes and more.

As for going back to a "school" setting, we have continually vetoed the idea. We once thought that when he is in the 9th grade.....well, we have canned that idea for now. He says he always wants to be homeschooled.

One more comment....Enjoy every minute of it....Time flys by absolutely too fast.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I homeschool an only child

He does quite well, and gets his socialization skills from adults and children alike. He has many outside activities.

I think socialization is a non-issue, as long as they are involved in other activities, who do you want teaching your child how to socialize anyway, you or his peers?

I pick me!!
Old 04-13-2003, 10:53 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Socialization

I have 2 children, but I only homeschool one at this time. I have been homeschooling my oldest now for 3 years. I do worry about the socialization, but he is involved in sunday School, Cub Scouts, and we recently joined our local Home school group as well. These might be some ideas for you as your child gets older. My youngest is 5, and he will go to kindergarten next year. He's a little too wild for me to keep home at the moment, it was a really tough decision for us, but we decided school was better for him at this time.
Hope that helped some!
Tanya
- Corrie ten Boom -
~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ *