Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 10-14-2002, 06:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Do you ever take a day off to catch up?

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with some things I need to get done around the home. Do any of you ever take a day off from schooling to get caught up? My kids are Kind/1st grade and preschool. I doubt very seriously it will hurt them acedemically . I just don't want to send the message that these things are more important than school. Make sense? Just wondering what you ladies think.

Blessings,

Angela
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26
Old 10-14-2002, 09:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

YES!!

Angela!!

I am a homeschooling mom too....for quite awhile actually. My last sone is about to "Graduate" this year!
One thing I have learned is that it's OK to take a break. After all, the public schools all have "Teacher workshop days" Just tell them its a workshop day! :p At their age, if you just had them sing along with muscic tapes (music) Draw/color/playdoh (art) and/or read a story (Reading, history, science, whatever) that IS school.
My opinion is that as we homeschool, we do not have to duplicate the school system. Our little ones learn one to one coorespondance by pairing up socks (Math) and sharing, and listening and...well, I could go on and on...
Spending time with your young ones is precious and IS teaching and training them. It's such a fun time with that age...enjoy them!!! And fell ok about having a "Teachers workshop" too! :p

HSma
Old 10-15-2002, 05:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Angela,

I agree with HSma - take a break! I know many homeschoolers who school four days a week, and the fifth day is reserved for field trips, errands, housework, etc. Then their weekends are free to spend as a family with dad.

If you check with your state, you'll find that you either need a certain number of days, or a certain number of hours. Taking off a day here and there, be it once a week, or once a month, will just mean that you need to adjust your school schedule a bit. I used to have school when the public schools were having teacher's conferences or in-service days. Then we'd take off for the full week of Thanksgiving, instead of just two days. I also used to school during the ps's spring break and winter breaks, and we'd take off other days instead.

This year I'll probably follow the school schedules a bit closer since my oldest is attending a church/school. When he has off, we'll have off, too.

As for giving your children the impression that something is or isn't more important than school - well, only you can decide what is most important for your family. It is possible to be having school and your children don't know it. When this happens, it is because homeschooling is a lifestyle, and not just a set time period during the day. Personally, I teach my children that there are many things more important than doing school at a certain time each day. Caring for an ailing family member, visiting distant relatives, helping a neighbor with yard work - these are all valid reasons to pack away the books for the day in our home.

Catching up on things around the house will teach your children that caring for your home is important. Responsibility cannot be taught with a workbook - it must be learned through hands-on experience. Use your "catch up" day to review things they've previously learned by talking to them, and quizzing them about various things.

And don't forget to count the day as a school day! They're learning ... really, they are!

(And if it makes you feel any better, there's a jr. high school in my area that has "incentive days" for the students. When all the students complete the specified work they go to the mall for the afternoon. I kid you not. They actually let these children roam the mall for a couple hours, with only a couple teachers on the premises ... there are more doors than there are teachers, and I am shocked that families allow this practice. Besides the safety issues involved, what is this teaching the children when they are allowed to roam, unsupervised?!)
Old 11-16-2002, 07:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Time off

It's really ok to be flexible. Life itself is flexible, and your children have as much need to learn about the daily tasks and making it through "life" as they do book learning. If you relax, keep things simple and be determined that it's going to be as much fun as useful, you'll be alright.

My youngest is 14 now. He's only had kindergarten, half of second grade and half of fifth grade of actual "formal" education. The rest has been filled with experiencing life and learning on a computer.

Today he writes computer programs in over 5 computer languages and we've just enrolled him in a real high school by mail out of Illinois.

If anyone is interested, it's called American School of Correspondence. They're accredited, and your child gets a REAL diploma at the end. You can finish in as little as a year and a half or take up to 4 years for 9th thru 12th grade.

(Sorry, I don't know how to work the URL buttons on top yet.)

I hope you enjoy your time with your kids and make this life all that you want it to be, because this is the only one you're going to get on this side of the river! LOL

Take care - Lisa Tyler

Last edited by mom2-4; 09-08-2008 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

YES! Get caught up and your learning times will go better without the distraction. You can say it's not a "school day" or make it a "home ec." day and let them help you. Or call it a teacher in-service day. When I taught in the public schools, the teachers used to joke about how they took sick days for "mental health!"
Old 11-17-2002, 07:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I don't homeschool but have several friends that do.
We in the public schools have teacher workdays or professional days and that's what it is for, so they can catch up! Very often this is at the end of the week. The kids get out early on Thurs usually at 1:00 and are off until the next Monday. My friends who home school very often use this same sort of schedule to plan by.
That way they can sort of keep the same routines and homeschoolers and public schoolers can enjoy activites together.
Another thing is if you don't know about Flylady? It would have to be tailored to fit a homeschoolers schedule but it is a wonderful way to keep on track with chores and to offer encouragement and support. There are many things to read, many ideas and the daily reminders are great.
Take a break you deserve it! Give yourself a pat on the back for all that you do get done or even if it's just getting up in the morning. Robin in NC

Last edited by mom2-4; 09-08-2008 at 03:23 AM.