Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 11-21-2002, 06:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information.. This can get overwhelming at times and I just wanted to make sure I was doing ok and teaching them the things they need to learn...
Old 11-21-2002, 02:21 PM
kellyandkids

Remember, you are their parent. No one will have their best interests at heart more than you. Believe in yourself and your goals for your children.

And I think I'll go have a goals setting chat with my fourth grader. I doubt if spelling is on her list but we are overdue for a this. At 9, they can have some pretty good ideas about what they want to accopmplish in this world. I like how it is put in the Elijah catalog, elijah.com: God has a plan for this child; its our job to guide them in that direction.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

new swap boards

There are some new homeschool boards started for buying, selling, trading homeschool materials (just started a couple weeks ago or so). Go to www.yahoogroups.com and put hsss_3rd-8th in the search box. It should bring up that group for you to join as well as the other 3 related ones (hsss_misc , hsss_k-2nd, and hsss_9th-12th .) There are lots of people listing lots of good things there.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am also in Alabama and have a 7th and 4th grader which I homeschool. The best source of info on curriculum for me has been homeschool book sales and internet searching. I have had lots of companies send me catalogs, many which have great reviews of the material. I love history but still had a hard time finding just what I wanted for my 9yos to read as his history text. After much research and prayer, I finally found the Ambleside Online curriculum, which follows a Charlotte Mason method of education. The history they recommended was A Child's History of the World, written by Hillyer. It is written in narrative form and he has just loved it. You can probably find a copy at your local library to review it. We also use "living books" to supplement the text. You can email me off list if you'd like to discuss homeschooling since it's obvious I can ramble on forever. Sorry so long!

Apry Swafford

Last edited by mom2-4; 09-08-2008 at 03:40 AM.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

homeschooling books

Usborne Books has a lot of books that are great for homeschooling. There are lots of science and art books and many of them are internet-linked. Go to www.somedaybooks.com and search for books by age group.
"The future of our world depends on the education of our children."
Old 11-30-2002, 12:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks and I am a big mouth and will talk everyone's head off ...

Last edited by mom2-4; 09-08-2008 at 03:40 AM.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Homeschooling supplies

I homeschooled my son in Jacksonville, Florida, and was able to find a lot of supplies through Barnes & Noble. Most of these were workbooks, but they provided info and exercises. I also was able to obtain supplies through www.rocksolidinc.com . Rock Solid also carries Apologia Science information.

Old 12-03-2002, 12:39 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi, finding homeschool material does not have to be difficult. First keep an eye out in your community for children out in the afternoon before school is out with their families (or Moms). If they are well behaved and modestly dressed chances are they homeschool. Ask and find out if there is a homeschool support group in your area.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have found many used textbooks, workbooks and reading books at www.Amazon.com Most have been in great shape and very cheap.