Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 09-22-2002, 06:30 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am having to revamp my schedule of units that I was hoping to do. the kids are interested to a point. So we are goign to do Farm/harvest stuff right now. I can't forget Halloween . It is my 2nd favorite time of year. It signals that it is time to start my 1st favorite. I will post some of my farm & harvest type stuff if anyone is interested.

So what is everyone else doing now?

LuvMyFF
Old 09-25-2002, 12:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by LuvMyFF
So we are going to do Farm/harvest stuff right now. I can't forget Halloween ......I will post some of my farm & harvest type stuff if anyone is interested.
So what is everyone else doing now?
LuvMyFF
Today and tomorrow I'm doing a Johnny Appleseed thing....an apple counting page from the internet, books from the library and apples from our tree!
{Would love to do some farm & harvest stuff so yes please post it!}
Next will be Chicka, Chicka Boom Boom and the coconut tree with an idea from the internet on making tree & alphabet. I found a page with all the letters on it that I'm going to get enlarged so he can color them.
Then October is Cookie Month....books on Cookies from the library, baking Cookies, coloring pages, etc.
After that we'll focus on Halloween. Painting pumpkins, making and hanging up decorations, books and videos. He's into spiders so will look up that subject on Encarta and the internet. Probably will put up a big web with plastic spiders.
Then for November, Cheryl Harness has a great book on Pilgrims that I reserved at the library...will do research for more. I haven't gotten that far yet.
We don't work on too much every day probably only an hour all together.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:36 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by robsctrymom
[B]
Today and tomorrow I'm doing a Johnny Appleseed thing....an apple counting page from the internet, books from the library and apples from our tree!
Next will be Chicka, Chicka Boom Boom and the coconut tree with an idea from the internet on making tree & alphabet.

It really seems like you got it together. For the apple theme you could also cut them(apple) in half and do stamp painting with them. Also, taste the various colors & varieties of apples. Ask which one they prefer and why? I also have a rhyme to use with it. Let me know if you would like it.

Just an idea for the chicka chicka boom boom, you could also cut the letters out of sandpaper and do crayons rubbings.

have a great day

LuvMyFF
Old 09-26-2002, 03:32 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

We went on our first field trip with our homeschool group yesterday. It was GREAT!! Everyone was so nice. They are from all 'walks of life'. I am very happy that I joined this group. i have planned another field trip to a farm on Oct 9. I am so excited

LuvMyFF
Old 09-26-2002, 05:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Bravo to you all!!

It's so great that you are looking into homeschooling options while your kids are still preschool aged. But, don't hurry your children!! There will, as one poster said, "be plenty of time for that". Especially during early childhood(which is up to age 7, btw), it is so important that children have access to hands on learning and the freedom to explore the world around them.

It sounds like you are all doing some really fun stuff; continue that, but keep the "table time" to a minimum. After all, we homeschool so that our children may learn in a different manner than tradition dictates! Enjoy your children, have fun with your children, learn with your children. You will be amazed at what they will learn if it is of importance to them.

I highly recommend the books by Bev Bos, for inspiration in coming up with fun, creative projects suitable for younger children. Another good one is Sandbox Scientist.

Good luck on your adventure!

Kris
Old 09-26-2002, 05:40 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Re: Bravo to you all!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rightathome
It sounds like you are all doing some really fun stuff; continue that, but keep the "table time" to a minimum.

I only do "table time" when my son wants to. He loves to do workbooks and does them alot on his own. The only thing that I do is maybe make up a worksheet or give him an 'idea' relating to our 'topic' to write a story about.

LuvMyFF
Old 12-15-2002, 03:45 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I would also like to homeschool my preschooler, does anyone else use the Early World of Learning Kit? I purchased this for my older children, but didn't get to use it with them very much. I had to work, and they went to preschool. Now that I am at home I would like to work with my 2.5 y.o.

I noticed that someone said mostly just play experiences is enough for a preschooler. My daughter seems to be bored with that. I have also read somewhere that this age is the most crucial to the brain...if they don't use it they start to loose it!!!
My daughter can name all the basic colors, numerous shapes, can even tell the difference between an oval and a circle. Has learned the shape of a trapezoid, from a wooden puzzle bought at Wal-Mart. Can count to 15. But not items. We are just starting on that. Knows the difference between big and small. All this just from play.

Sorry about the rambling here, but my question is does anyone know...will it ruin her if I really start to work with her (not pushing) just basic play learning, pictures of the alphabet, counting items. Or should I try some type of cirrculum at her age and see what happens?

Any input would be helpful, especially from some one who taught preschool or kindergarten

Thanks

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 12-17-2002, 04:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Would it hurt? I doubt it. Let her lead the way and you two should be fine. If she enjoys worksheets, go for it. When she's beginning to fade, well, stop for the day.

I am just starting with my 4-year-old. I wish I hadn't purchased workbooks for her. I now realize what a vast amount of printables are on the internet. I have found pages for alphabets, numbers, shapes, colors and so much more.

The one book I'm happy I bought is *Homeschool Your Child for Free* by LauraMaery Gold and Joan M. Zielinski. This is a book FULL of websites to check for everything from how to homeschool, issues homeschoolers face, preschoolers, and each individual subject kids take.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:08 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks, that what I thought too, but needed that second opinion!!

I will have to check that book out!! thnaks again

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 12-19-2002, 01:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have been doing homeschool preschool for a year now. I have chosen to take the unit study approach and find the majority of the crafts, printables, activities, recipes, games, etc. that we use online. Here are some great sites for you to check into -

www.abcteach.com
www.learningpage.com
www.enchantedlearning.com
www.everythingpreschool.com
www.signwithme.com/main_signs.asp
www.kinderthemes.com
www.kinderart.com
www.atozteacherstuff.com
www.preschoollearners.com
www.perpetualpreschool.com
www.preschooleducation.com
www.preschoolbystormie.com
www.preschoolrainbow.org
www.preschoolcoloringbook.com
http://makingfriends.com
www.preschoolideas.co.uk/
www.preschoolathome.com
www.preschool-at-home.com
http://prek.dhs.org
www.lil-fingers.com
www.first-school.ws/
www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/1083/
www.totcity.com
www.bry-backmanor.org/index.html
www.kidzone.ws/
www.vallentin.co.uk/worksheets.html

Last edited by mom2-4; 09-08-2008 at 03:31 AM.