Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 02-03-2003, 11:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lynda,
Hi I would like to give you a little advice about the situation.
Children with Dyslexia have totally different needs than other children.
There are many things to take into consideration here. Firstly, I would like to mention a few people who are no doubt familiar to you who had Dyslexia. One was Albert Einstein; with him they said he was retarded when he first entered school. Then all through his adult life he was known to have problems with 'common sense' things. He would be concentrating on one thing and be totally oblivious to things around him.
Anther was Thomas Edison; who had over a thousand patents to his name when he died. Another was Nils Bor who gave us "Backwards Math" or Physics. There is another that comes to mind and that is Thomas Lowel who was the president of the Harvard Medical School. He was the one who instituted Oral Entry Exams for those people who had Dyslexia. Oral programs work better obviously than written word does. There are many things to learn that you need to learn before being able to help your daughter. I would be glad to speak further with you on this.
Truly, Kat

Last edited by mom2-4; 09-08-2008 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi, mamalynda. Sounds as if you are trying to make the best of a bad situation. To be honest, I home schooled some of my children and would be doing Angel too if I had another adult to help with the bills! I wish you all the best......Anita
Old 02-04-2003, 05:04 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

I just posted a few websites that deal with Dyslexia on the weekly reviews of websites - it's the last post by me. I haven't actually checked it out, but hopefully it will provide you with some good info. Check it out and let me know. Thanks, Caron
Old 02-04-2003, 05:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you all for your thoughts and encouragement ..... I truly appreciate it!

In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.....Isaiah 30:15
Old 02-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

If all else fails with the reading, as it did with my child, try this program: www.lindamoodbell.com/. It is a wonderful program with a wonderful staff, but the clinics are few and expensive. You could take their workshop or teach yourself to do the program from their books and videos, though. Nothing else worked for us, but this program had the child reading and writing (paragraphs,spelled correctly) in two months!
Old 02-07-2003, 07:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Welcome!

Congrats on your decision! I know it's a big step but the rewards are endless. I have three kids with one on the way and am currently homeschooling a second grader and a preschooler.

As for Math U See, it's a relatively good program but more as a supplemental program than your primary program. That's just my opinion. It just didn't seem to be complete enough for me.

There are many options out there for you to find curriculum.
Try www.cbd.com and click the homeschooling tab. Also, you can find great sources on Amazon and Ebay. If you do a search on the web and put in homeschooling curriculum you'll find a ton of sites. I like Elijah company, the Sycamore Tree, Rock Solid and Timberdoodle in addition to the afore mentioned sites.

I would suggest finding a local support group as soon as possible. They will be a great source of information for you and will be able to guide you towards areas of interest and need. They are invaluable.

good luck!

Old 02-07-2003, 01:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Until we moved to another school district I had spent 2 years fighting with teachers about my now 7 year old daughter. Bella is very bright to talk to, so you would never know that she has dyslexia and she was finally tested and found to have ADHD. I knew this from the time she was 4 years old, but no one at her old school would help me get her tested. Like many of ya'll I don't have the money to go to a private doctor to have this done and at her new school the teachers...yes I said teacherS...Bella has 4 teachers and changes classes(she is in 2nd grade). Anyway, they got together and then with me and said that they thought that Bella should be tested for ADHA and Dyslexia...So not all schools are inattentive and they are giving her the special tutoring that she requires before and after regular school time and the cost is great...nada!
I have made an appointment with our family doctor to discuss her next step...which will be meds. I am sure that with the meds to aid her in focusing and the special tutoring that these teachers have been giving to her she will be well on her way to achieving her goals.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hello there

it was so refreshing to come here and see a forum for homeschoolers.
i have been home schooling my ds and dd for the past two years. ds will be six tommorow.
in readiung here i feel so lucky that the community that i live in is so pro-homeschool.i have beengiven my whole year of curiculum and also have the support of two teacher liasons and a principal of homeshcooling as well. she sends out the report cards based onwork that we have marked and submitted. we have a small operating budget from the prov goverment as well. so far it has been working out well, although i am having a bit of a hard time to get a schedule down this year. it sure seemed easier when they were just pre-school homeschooling.

i am sure looking forward to having some women who understand what i am about to talk to. i get so tired of hearing the 'well send them to school then' folks...

cheers, v
Old 02-07-2004, 11:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

i am sure looking forward to having some women who understand what i am about to talk to. i get so tired of hearing the 'well send them to school then' folks...

LOL...I know that feeling! Welcome, Vivian

In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.....Isaiah 30:15
Old 09-21-2004, 02:49 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello

Hello fellow homeschoolers,
I have been homechooling for 4 years now.
My son is in the second grade. I started when he was 4years old and I love it very much