Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Homeschooling

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

View Poll Results: Are you or have you ever taken part in homeschooling?
Yes, I am currently homeschooling and love it! 12 30.00%
Yes, I am homeschooling but we are having a rough time. 0 0%
Yes, I've tried it but it didn't work out for us. 2 5.00%
I've thought about homeschooling but haven't been brave enough to try it. 6 15.00%
No, homeschooling has never interested me. 19 47.50%
I haven't tried it yet...but might consider it in the future. 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Are you or have you ever taken part in homeschooling?

How has it worked out for you? What are the pros & cons of homeschooling?

What were your reasons for choosing to do this?

If you've tried it and quit, what were your reasons for quitting?

Please take our poll and share your thoughts on homeschooling.

~*~ Also, check out these homeschooling articles for more great info.! ~*~

Have we made the right decision?
Organizing your homeschool day
A day in the homeschool life
Back to school...umm, I mean home
Deciding to homeschool

and many more homeschooling articles.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

It scares me that I don't know enough to teach my kids the "right" educational things they need to know for their future. I also don't think we could be happy with each others company 24hours a day. It's just not us, and I'm happy with the education they get at school now.
To be honest I do not know a single person personally who does this so I'm only going on what I'm thinking it's all about.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:08 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

Happy face

I never tried it simply because I couldn't even help them with homework. If I worked the problem the way I was taught, then the teachers said it was the wrong way to work it because it was the new math & they were required to work it according to the new version.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

One of the things I regret most is not homeschooling when my kids were younger. Although, especially for dd, she has thrived in the school system. Ds started well with some bumps along the way.
We have quite a lot of homeschool friends now, but mostly their kids are younger than ours and when they hit upper secondary school they are going to mainstream school anyway to prepare for uni.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

i've homeschooled ever since my older son was in grade school starting with kindergarten and through to 8th grade; in 9th we put him in private school where he did very well in spite of my teaching!! i homeschool my younger son; he's in 6th grade (finishing up) and we will probably put him in private school too in 9th grade. I think the most struggle that we had was structure and discipline which is very important if you don't have those 2 things than you'll probably struggle some.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I did when my son was in 7th grade, we got the workbooks as he needed to catch up and didn't want to go to the school in the area we lived in. he was afraid that he would follow others and get into trouble. He has ADHD so we decide to homeschool him to play catch up. It didnt' do to good as he thought of it as a big joke. Working in workbooks instead of books.

Later we homeschool him again in the 10th grade I believe it was. It went much better as he realize this was the real stuff, he found out other kids had been homeschool and worked from the same kind of books. Plus we were going to be doing some traveling that yr and we combine alot of his subject into the travel.

Later we got him into a private christian school where he attend until he gradituated from school...
Old 08-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I couldn't vote! No foil for what we did. We did homeschool for one year and it was wonderful, and then back to public school the next year which was also fine.

Minny, your quote made me laugh, thanks!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 08-30-2008, 06:12 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

all my girls went through the public school system..I just knew there was no way I could ever home school.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just started my fourth year of homeschooling this past Monday.

We originally started because the idea of all-day Kindergarten, which is all they have around here, seemed a little silly to me. I asked the teacher what they do in the afternoons and she said they have an extended play time, a longer recess, and do a little bit of math that they may not have finished in the morning. What!?!?!?!

I at first thought we would just bring our son home in the afternoons and he could he could go to Kindergarten in the mornings. The school said that was fine, but I would be responsible for his math teaching. My husband and I thought and prayed about it and decided if I had to do math, I might as well do it all.

I won't lie to you, there are days when I wonder why I do this, but overall it's the best thing for our family. There's nothing like hearing your child read for the first time or watching them tell a friend an historical or scientific fact and realize YOU were the one that taught that to them. It's amazing.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Home Schooling

We are presently travelling for 3 months through Victoria and New South Wales (Australia) with our children 9 & 12.

The schooling is quite a novelty to them but it is very interesting and I am hoping we will all benefit greatly from this new learning experience