Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

View Poll Results: Are you or have you ever taken part in homeschooling?
Yes, I am currently homeschooling and love it! 12 30.00%
Yes, I am homeschooling but we are having a rough time. 0 0%
Yes, I've tried it but it didn't work out for us. 2 5.00%
I've thought about homeschooling but haven't been brave enough to try it. 6 15.00%
No, homeschooling has never interested me. 19 47.50%
I haven't tried it yet...but might consider it in the future. 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Gwen, I want to officially welcome you to Family Corner! Be sure to stop by the Introduce Yourself forum so that others may welcome you and so that we can share the other wonderful places that you might be interested in on Family Corner. Feel free to ask any assistant moderator or moderator if you have any questions!
Old 08-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Assistant Moderator

We will be starting our tenth year homeschooling. We started homeschooling because we had many problems with the local school. The only Christian school is thirty miles one way. That is a lot of driving. We figured we could by the books for the cost of gas. When I had all three kids at times it was tough. I had a preschooler, a second grader and a seventh grader. Our oldest son has many problems and he made school and life in general a living hell. Now that he is out on his own life is much calmer here. My younger two kids love school. They are both seniors this year. I may not have done the best job at times but I feel I gave the kids a better education than they would have recieved in the local school.

I also noticed in our community, the kids who graduated from the local school, that married and stayed here, they are putting thier kids in a different school. Guess it wasn't just our way of thinking.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am not nearly organized enough to home school. I had to consider it due to bullying, but thankfully, another school came along! I also like that my kids can go and learn and be on their own away from me. It teaches them independence and I like that too. I admire anyone who can home school and do it well!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 08-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

At one time when my youngest was in elementary I had given it some thought... But as he went on and was in a school with under 190 children (pre-k through 5th grade), it proved to be a really wonderful experience. He excelled in his school, and when he reached middle school the teachers told me that they could tell which of the children came from the elementary that he attended as mostly all excelled at the next level also. My son will be entering the 9th grade this year and is just as excited as he was the day he started kindergarten! I know I made the right choices for him. He has always had some wonderful teachers.

Unknown
Old 08-31-2008, 07:41 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We homeschooled all the way through. We were in the military and moving around a lot. By the time my oldest was in fourth grade, he was in his seventh school and struggling. So my youngest was in kindergarten and my oldest was in fifth grade when we started out. It was a blessing for us!
Old 09-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have been homeschooling my children for the past 8 years. My youngest child has never been to public school. I love homeschooling. It gives you freedom to teach them at their own pace, you can teach them anything you want and they don't learn all the bad things from public school. [bullying, school politics, bad language etc] There are many home schooling familys and you can get together with them for field trips and interaction with other children. I would never go back to public schools for my children.

Felicia

Old 09-03-2008, 04:42 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am currently homeschooling my 3rd grade daughter. So far we love it. This will be her first full year homeschooling.

I love the idea that we can work at our own pace. And she doesn't have the long days at school.

I really wish I would have homeschooled my DS. As he ended up being a drop out. But, I think if I had had the knoweledge of the public Cyber Charter schools back than I would have enrolled him, and maybe he would have finished school.

Now, to just win my 8th grader over to homeschooling. Which I doubt very much.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!