Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > Homeschooling

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Homeschool Curriculum

I am a HS mom of 2. This fall, oldes DS will be in second grade and youngest DS will be in K.

For the last 2 years I have used Calvert Schools. While I love their curriculum, I don't necessarily love their prices. They are one of the more pricier curriculums out there. Also, my son isn't responding with the same gusto he did last year in regards to school. I realize some of that could just be plain ol' winter blues and when-will-this-school-year-end type of thing.

Anyway, what do you use? I am especially cuirous about ACE, Abeka, and Sonlight, but would welcome responses regarding other curriculums as well.

I am beginning to research some other curriculums out there and want to have a firm idea on what I want before the summertime curriculum fairs start up in our area.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tammy
Old 02-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello Tammy. I use the Robinson Curriculum's philosophy but I make up my own lessons for our children.

We mainly focus on the 3 R's. We play board games, go on field trips, do arts & crafts, meet with other children, go to the library for story time, etc... Our 11 yo ds is a Boy Scout, 8 yo dd is in dance & dd2 is 3 yo.

They review all their math flash cards at least 5 times a week. They have timed math sheets. We use the Saxon Math Books as well as the comprehensive curriculum books from Sam's Club to make sure I cover certain material. We have Jump Start, Reader Rabbit, & other computer games. We use the Vocabulary Cartoons books to broaden our vocabulary. We read G.A. Henty's books, Hardy Boys, Bobbsey Twins, mainly unabridged books.

To get them started reading we use Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, comprehensive curriculum books, Hooked on Phonics for the home, flash cards, etc...

If you have any more questions you can PM me or ask on this thread. I'll be glad to help in any way.

I'm not familiar with MO's hsing requirements. Ga's are easy to fulfil.

HTH,
Shelley
Old 02-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We used Sonlight for two years, with Saxon Math. I loved their program, we tried their lesson plans for a while, but then ended up making our own. We did read all of their books though, instead of textbooks, they use novels, etc. Loved their science and history too.
We are trying out a Virtual Academy this year. I love their curriculum, don't love getting calls saying - You didn't log any actual lessons for two days, what's going on . . . Then I have to explain that we went skiing and though we didn't log actual lessons, we counted by 5s on turns, practiced spelling everything we could see from the lifts, etc. I like the freedom I had before!
Good luck on your decision, but I'd definitely recommend Sonlight.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I make up my own curriculum using McGraw Hill spectrum workbooks, they are great and most schools use mcgraw hill workbooks anyway. They have every subject and my kids love them.
fish3711

Old 02-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

It has been just a few years since I homeschooled. However, I want to say that my fave was David C Cook, but please don't quote me. The name is similar to that. Anyway, I also liked Abeka. I also made some of it up on my own.

The best thing that worked for me was to get with a homeschool group and find out what others are using, why they are using it, and how they are using it. Take those ideas and tailor it for yourself. What works for someone else, might not work for you. That is why it is good to check things out. About once every month, I drove 88 miles give or take, to attend a homeschool meeting. Plus, I got other ideas like how to deal with the public school when they call to threaten you and other possible legal situations.

Good luck.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 02-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish3711
I make up my own curriculum using McGraw Hill spectrum workbooks, they are great, have every subject and my kids love them.
fish3711
I completely agree. We use them too.

In talking to other hs moms they might even give you some of their older curricula to look at &/or keep. Most moms love to share.

HTH,
Shelley
Old 02-18-2007, 03:22 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

O.k. I have one question how would you go about homeschooling a teenager who has always been in public school? My dd1 has been having alot of trouble with the kids or should I say a few kids in our school and she is bound and determined not to go to our school next year. She has mentioned about homeschooling or a Catholic school(which there is no way I could afford that). I have tons of books on homeschooling that I have read but still not sure about how or if I should make the step. There aren't alot of homeschooling families in our area for me to talk to and none that I know of that has teenagers. I'd be ever thankful for any advice also does anyone work and still homeschools? What do you do about the subjects that you aren't good at like for me it's math I can teach your basics but she is beyond that and has to have special help for math in her public school so what would I do? Thanks
love,
Rosey
Old 02-18-2007, 05:15 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Rosey, this is only my personal opinion. If it were me, I would check into an umbrella school so that your DD can still get the credits toward graduation and so that she won't have to take the GED. You would be able to send her records to the umbrella school. You would send her exams, papers, and such to the umbrella school so that she would get credit.

However, as for subjects that you aren't good at, do you think there is a homeschool group in your area? Many homeschool groups will have a person who is good at math teach math and so on. Also, you can learn about something yourself before you teach it.

I hope that was helpful.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:31 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

DeBora at risk of sounding dumb what is an umbrella school?
love,
Rosey
Old 02-18-2007, 07:50 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Rosey, we all have things we don't know. No biggie. An umbrella school is a school, usually a private school, that is accredited that is willing to take on homeschoolers to give them credits and be their school so that when it comes to graduation, they will give your child a diploma, if he/she follows all the rules and makes the grades. I hope I explained that well.

Here are more explanations to umbrella schools.

Last edited by DeBora4BobbyL; 02-18-2007 at 07:54 AM.