Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 05-29-2002, 05:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Here in WI we have the Department of Public Instruction. We don't need their permission to homeschool, but by law we must let them know that we are doing it. We have a form to fill out that tells the number of children we're teaching, and we can choose to list their grades, or list them as "ungraded," and then we must tell them if we're doing this to circumvent the school attendance laws ... blah, blah, blah.

Just about every state has their own rules and regulations and offices. If you check the hslda.org you can find out the basics of the laws, and usually a state group address so that you can contact them for more info on how to go about setting up your homeschool legally.

Kelly H.
Old 05-29-2002, 08:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

It makes me wish I lived in some other state than NYS! There is a law in the state senate though, that would lessen paper work for homeschoolers. I've written my state senator and representative asking them to support it and have signed the HSLDA petition. I know it would get rid of IHIP's and other repetitive paper work. Hopefully it will pass soon and NYS hser's will have an easier time of hsing. Choosing to HS should be treated the same as choosing private school or religious school not as something "else!" Okay. Off to HSLDA again to double check info. Thanks to all. Jen

Old 06-25-2002, 04:27 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

Help!

Okay I have been homeschooling my son for two years now. I also live in NYS (onondaga county). The quarterly reports don't bother me. I have a wonderful school system to deal with. I have borrowed the books and made my own cirr & tests etc. = having no problems.

This coming school year he'll be in 8th grade and I am considering purchasing a cirr instead of going through the school. Math is getting harder for me!!!

I was wondering if someone could give me insight as to where I can purchase a package?

I know some websites start their cirr for 9-12.

Also do they do testing to figure out if my son is in the correct grade level?

What I'm looking for is a whole set of books, etc, a package. I've been to a few websites and it's confusing.

Also inexpensive would be nice.

TIA, Caron
Old 06-25-2002, 06:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Consider used curriculum

Although that might be harder to find in a whole set. You'd probably have to piece it together. If you check through the posts here in this forum, you'll find the address for the VegSource boards and The Swap. You can also check at eBay for curriculum and there are various other small boards that offer used materials for sale.

For a packaged curriculum for the older grades, I would suggest the Switched-on Schoolhouse by Alpha Omega. But, that can be a bit pricey, even used.

What you'll probably have to do is get a science program, a math program, a geography program, etc. They probably won't be from the same company, but that's okay!

If you're going to go that route, I would suggest, off the top of my head: Saxon math and Apologia Science. Writing Strands is a good program, too. I can't think of a geography program right now, but if you check some of the more popular homeschooling sites you can get a good review of various programs.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2002, 08:16 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks!!!
Old 06-25-2002, 10:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Try these

My kids are younger, but most sites are k-12.

rsts.net/home/index.htm
homeschoolproducts.com
homeschoolclassifieds.com
edexbooks.com
www.elijahco.com
www.theswap.com
www.rainbowresource.com
www.christianbook.com (1000's of books for hsers)
And go to the library and get "Homeschooling for Free" by Zillenski and Gold - it has tons of sites on the web for highschool learning

These are in addition to the sites already mentioned.

Hope some of these help.

Last edited by HOMEWriter; 06-25-2002 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:11 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Sent in my letter in intent!

Well, I am officially now a homeschooler! I sent my letter of intent and my IHIP out this morning. I just I hope I did the IHIP right. The instructions were very confusing, I'm not sure what they wanted. But I am sure if it is wrong they will let me know!
Old 06-30-2002, 09:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Congratulations and way to go!!!
Old 07-02-2002, 05:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

So, Aubry, when is your first official day of school?

We'll be starting up again on August 21. I'll be teaching a 5th grader, a 2nd grader and a K4, plus my toddler. My oldest will be attending 7th grade at a local church/school - that's his first day of classes, so that's why we chose that for our first day 'back to homeschool' as well.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Sample Letter

Technically we’re homeschooling in Louisiana (but we currently live overseas). This is a letter that we send to the state board of education once a year. In LA we can claim ourselves as a “private school” and then we don’t have to send anything but this letter in. Although I love it, for some kids it is bad. Their parents send in the letter, and really do nothing. I’ve seen those kids. They are the ones who give homeschooling a bad name.

Schroemer Christian Extension Academy

We believe academics to be an extension of the moral and ethical teachings of the home.

And these words, which I command thee this day,
shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them
diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them
when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou
walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and
when thou risest up. Deuteronomy 6:6-7 (KJV)

Louisiana State Department of Education
626 North 4th Street
P.O. Box 94604
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70804-9064
(504) 342-3473

August 6, 2007

Dear State Superintendent:

We are writing to inform you that, in accordance with Louisiana Revised Statute 17:236, Schroemer Christian Extension Academy will begin classes on September 4 for the school year (2007-2008).

The school will operate for 180 days of the year.

The total enrollment is three children.

Sincerely,