Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 10-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Dawn, I love the game day idea! Can you tell us some of the games you used? I have a geography game (& a Carman Sandiego w/ geography) & lot's of games would work for math, but what about some of the less obvious subjects like science maybe.

Ok, Martie, It is hard to think of specific questions now..... How much are you, the parent, needed to teach? Actually teaching it is intimidating to me, that is why I chose the DVD program that has the teacher on it. Although it is much more involved than I thot it would be, so I'd be ok getting a little more into the teaching. And, my ds is higher in his reading level than his grade level, can the program adjust for things like that? My dad grew up in Georgia & I have a lot of fond memories there, but I live in Texas. I think the website had a demo, but I probably won't have time to get back to explore that till maybe Saturday. I'll leave it at that for now. Thanks so much.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Assistant Moderator

We are in our tenth and final year of hsing. I have loved it. We use SOS too. Also Math U See.

Mom2-4 I didn't realize you were homeschooling.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:05 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yes, Bluebird, I am hsing, my youngest daughter.

I would really like to get the Homeschooling forum really "moving" you know with lots of chat, and ideas and such.

I just don't seem to have the time right now.

Right now with all the activities going on, and with the changing of the seasons I am trying to get my home cleaned up. I spent over 3/4 of time outside. The other 1/4 was spent making supper, and just routine maintenance. So, my home is a mess. Doesn't help that there is a 2 year old in the house.

So, any new topic ideas would be greatly appreciated!!(for the homeschooling thread that is)

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 10-23-2008, 05:50 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS
Ok, Martie, It is hard to think of specific questions now..... How much are you, the parent, needed to teach? Actually teaching it is intimidating to me, that is why I chose the DVD program that has the teacher on it. Although it is much more involved than I thot it would be, so I'd be ok getting a little more into the teaching. And, my ds is higher in his reading level than his grade level, can the program adjust for things like that? My dad grew up in Georgia & I have a lot of fond memories there, but I live in Texas. I think the website had a demo, but I probably won't have time to get back to explore that till maybe Saturday. I'll leave it at that for now. Thanks so much.
Just write when you do think of questions. I'll get back to you when I can! LOL!

SOS and LifePacs neither require a lot of teaching. It really is independent but you don't have a teacher "teaching" either. It's a lot of reading, answer the questions but the questions aren't worded exactly like the text so it really helped my girls learn more critical thinking skills.

Gotta run take care of some things and I'll be gone until Sunday after tonight (home school mom's retreat!!) but like I said, feel free to write with your questions. If you get a chance to check out the online demo you'll probably have a list of questions. Just open an email window and type them out to send me.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:54 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Maybe start an educational games thread so those posts don't get lost in everything else? That's all I can think of at the moment. LOL!

I did find a good supplement for grammar - not sure who mentioned it where (maybe an email loop) but Winston Grammar looks to be a good thing to add just to be sure your kids know actual grammar. www.winstongrammar.com - also has placement tests. I'll probably use it to reinforce and make sure my girls are good in this area as far as knowing which word modified which other word, etc. =) I know they know it but do they KNOW it when it's coming at them from somewhere else? LOL!

Last edited by martiehawk; 10-23-2008 at 05:59 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Games

MKS,

Since my kids were older we broke the units down further, instead of plainly science we would learn something like Ornithology (birds) so we would play a game I bought called "the Birding Game by Roger Tory Peterson" my kids really enjoyed that.

A very simple way to do spelling on game day was we would use the game "Boggle" the kids had to find the words as well as spell them correctly.

Blessings,
Dawn
Old 11-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I spent a lot of time today looking at demos of the different features of Switched on Schoolhouse & it does look good. I still want to look at lots of options & of course, I have plenty of time before next year. I may go to a homeschool curriculum convention in May. Those of you who have homeschooled older kids: How many hours a day did you spend on school?
Old 11-06-2008, 04:52 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Using AOP products my girls spend about 4 hours on average but of course, some days are tougher and require more time. Other days are lighter (test days when they have 2 or 3 tests instead of actual lessons, etc.) and they may only end up with about 3 hours. Of course there are papers to write and projects to do and field trips, etc. so that adds up too.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Assistant Moderator

We use SOS. My kids are seniors this year. They spend about three to five hours a day on school. Again, somedays it will be longer, some days shorter. Just depends on what we are doing. There are many many things you do with your kids that are learning. Buying groceries, cleaning house, yardwork, cooking.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

By the time they are teenagers about 3 hours on schooling, if younger it would be less.

Blessings,
Dawn