Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 10-15-2008, 02:48 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Kyleigh Clarissa, and welcome to FC!

I am so sorry to hear that a school system could be so bad. I know I have to laugh at the "No Child Left Behind" law. I know my son was never "left behind" meaning they never held him back. They just pushed him along, because the teachers didn't want to deal with him.

I wish I would have homeschooled him. But, that is why I am now HSing my youngest daughter. As they couldn't give her the challenge they should have. She was just so bored at school.

Anyway, again welcome to FC. If you get a chance be sure, if you haven't to introduce yourself. FC has a wealth of information, and if you can't find the information, ask. Someone will be able to help you! The people here are great!

Here is the link to introduce yourself:

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/f...lay.php3?f=102

Oh, I have my daughter enrolled in a CyberCharter school. It is great!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am new to homeschooling this year. My ds used to say he was homeschooled for pre K, which is kinda true. He went to public school K thru 3rd. We had thot about homeschooling all along, but the main reason we went with it now is because of negative peer pressure. There is also all the gas money driving him back & forth or the alternative of looooong bus rides. Our first two weeks were rough, but now I am liking it more than I expected too. I think my ds is liking it better now too. Still I am looking for a different curruculum (I KNOW that is spelled wrong.) for next year. Are there threads already with that info on them?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm not sure about threads here, but since you are new to homeschooling, you might want to take a look at the MANY alternatives available to you.

Go to your library and look at any homeschool magazines available if they have any. Also, read some books like The Ultimate Guide To Homeschooling by Debra Bell

There are so many alternatives, don't think that you have to just "Do School" at home! There are unit studies, relaxed homeschooling, unschooling an a TON more!!
PS It's curriculum and the plural is curricula
Old 10-21-2008, 02:57 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS
Still I am looking for a different curruculum (I KNOW that is spelled wrong.) for next year. Are there threads already with that info on them?
MKS, there are not any real threads about curriculum, but, there are different threads about questions about different curriculum.

I know there is Sonlight, Weaver, and K12 just to name a few.

I really can't tell you much about any of them. We use a Public Cyber Charter School for DD, which uses K12. It is really nice curriculum. I know I had told you about that on another thread. The Cyber Charter works better for me, as I don't have to plan my own stuff, they tell me what needs to be done. And we don't have to submit a portfolio!(or any of the other legalities of homeschooling)

Good luck, and keep us posted as to what you find!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 10-21-2008, 03:48 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Mom2-4 i didnt know you were homeschooling or did i read that wrong

Old 10-21-2008, 04:47 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

We have used several different things in our home education. My girls favorite is Switched-on Schoolhouse and/or LifePacs from Alpha Omega Publications - www.aop.com. My girls are currently 5th, 7th, 11th, and graduated.

We used Abeka's handbook for reading to learn to read but beyond that mostly have used AOP's curriculum. It just worked for our family dynamics and the way our girls learn - very independently.

I did learn of another language arts curriculum that I hope to integrate - maybe just over summer for fun or something. I haven't decided for sure yet. It's Called Total Langauge Plus. It starts with a 3rd grade level and each unit is based on a book. I got Pippi Longstocking for my girls. They read as they go taking about 6-8 weeks most of the time to complete a book. All their language arts and writing is integrated and based on which ever book you choose to use. I don't recall their web address but I know I googled Total Language Plus and found it.

Something else I found for my daughter who struggles with math is Teaching Textbooks - www.teachingtextbooks.com. I'm not sure how young their program goes right now. They started with higher math and have backed down. I know they had 5th grade so they may be down to 4th and 3rd by now. I just love the way the program explains the concepts, has them do practice problems and then has a cd that explains each and every step of every problem. My daughter could work the same type problem 5x and if she missed one could not figure out where she went wrong. This took care of that. A tad expensive for us but so worth it when it means she finally GETS math.

I hope this is helpful to someone. We've enjoyed our 12 years of home education and are looking forward to graduating these last 3 over the next 7 years.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:10 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsZ
Mom2-4 i didnt know you were homeschooling or did i read that wrong
Hi Karen, Yes, I am homeschooling my youngest DD. She is very hyperactive. And a fast learner, and rather bright. The two did not work together at a regular school. As she would catch on quickly, and than be kind of left to her own devices, which with a hyper child that is not good.

I felt she was not getting all that she could at the public school. The only thing they offered for "gifted" children at her school was to help the other kids, when she was finished. And she is a shy child so that wasn't working either.

So, now she is working at her own pace, and able to exert her energy at the same time. She likes to move around while learning, or just to stand, and the school wouldn't let her stand.

Martiehawk, thanks for the information on curriculum!

Karen

Old 10-22-2008, 04:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yes, Martie, thanks for the links. I was looking at them yesterday when my computer restarted itself cutting me off. I haven't had time to get back to them yet. I thot the switched on school house look pretty good, but it is hard to tell just over the internet.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:25 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

If SOS interests you, they have a live demo you can do. If you live in Georgia I can get with you to see it in person too. If you have questions, feel free to ask. We've been using it 11 years this year and it's changed a lot as they have revised it over that time.

I can tell you some things I LOVE about it. I can customize it for my girls easily.
  • You can change the grading scale and how grades are weighted. For instance I have a child that doesn't test well. Her grades are weighted more heavily for lessons. My oldest was weighted more heavily for quizzes and tests since she did very well and several times I'd let her "CLEP" a unit when she already knew the information.
  • The program does 85% of the grading for you. I only need to grade essays, reports and answers where where it's subject to so many variances in wording that they couldn't possibly put them all in the program.
  • It prepares students very well for college - I have a friend with 2 in college and they used SOS almost exclusively and said it was an excellent tool.
Well, I had more to write but, as any home schooling mom knows, sometimes you get interrupted and side tracked. Now I can't recall where else I was heading with this.

Any way, ask away! I love sharing about this.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

MKS,

I use to home school ,but my children are adults now. I would make up my own Curriculum of the subjects I needed. I did have a video algebra program though, but I also had a math game that was like scrabble. We made sure that with the math game we would only use algebra equations on the board, (But of course for smaller children it would be addition and subtraction). it became very fun and interesting that way.

Some days we would have game day where we would have a board game for every subject, the kids liked those days a lot.

Blessings,
Dawn