Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 07-12-2005, 08:34 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Helping My Son With Reading

hi all this is my first time here i was wondering if anyone could help my youngest son has a hard time with reading does anyone have any suggestions on how i can help him read better thanks
Old 07-14-2005, 07:31 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Not sure if I'll remember to check back here soon enough for you... But how old is your son, or what grade level?

Something that worked for my daughter was doing mini unit studies with a book, atleast I think of them as unit studies. For example, we read Shiloh together and our vocabulary and spelling words were taken from that book. We also used computer skills to design a new book cover for it. When we read about Japan we did origami and made a Japanese dish for supper. We made tangram puzzles when reading some about China. Reading becomes something to look forward to if you make it more than just reading. Since then she has started to read more on her own without the extras. They aren't books that I would choose for her to read but it's her free time not school reading time anyway.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I was going to ask the sme thing-how old is he-
my son (now 24 loves to read-we used to have to take books from his hands becasue he would read at night w/ a flashlight)he started with comic books, kids magazines, puzzle books, and take it for what it's worth books on the president j.f.k.--maybe try taking him to the library(do they still have those arp books ?)don't put down any books that may be to young for him--take turns reading a page, and/or ask him to read a story to his younger sibling-if he has one-and if the book has a lot of pictures in it, ask him to talk about what does the picyure describe(pictures tell a story)

hope this helps amnd you don't think I'm just rambling on as a know it all
(with the j.f.k. book-i was washing dishes one day, he was 7 at the timeand i didn't know what book he was reading and he came to me and asked me."do you think one billet could go so many place and kill him?' he surprised me and i asked him "who got shot son? & he just looked and said mama President Kennedy!-lol
Old 07-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb Reading

Has your son been checked for dyslexia? My step-daughter had it. Read to him and then if he is old enough have him read to you. It really takes patience and you will need to be totally in tune with just him and the books.(no TV, no interruptions if at all possible) Also if he sees you reading and there are books in the house that he likes he may surprise you!

Also check out local libraries. Set up special gift if he reads so many books or reads so many pages. So start reading Mom & hopefully he will be enjoying a good book also.

Alice
Old 07-16-2005, 04:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wolfcubz,

Since I don't know your son's age, this may not apply; but a book I found helpful for myself when going through my now 17yo son's reading difficulty is called, Better Late than Early by Dorothy and Raymond Moore. It speaks of physical maturity of the eye and the difference in boys vs girls. I also just kept with the drip, drip, drip of our phonics program (Phonics for Reading and Spelling and Modern Curriculum Press) and used more games and hands-on than workbook pages. When reading books, we would alternate reading aloud a page. He would often sound out words to the ending sound and still not comprehend the word itself. It took till he was 10 years old to be what I call reading well and with comprehension. He now reads decently and will be going to college but he doesn't thrive on reading books, however. I can remember being frustrated about 2 years ago with his not carrying out reading assignments in timely fashion. Though words hard for me to accept, my husband stated some very freeing words to me one day, "boys don't like to read". This isn't a cop-out. They still have to learn to read because it is so foundational to other subjects. They just may not have the passion that others have for it. They may have a passion for reading, just not for traditional books. My son reads everything he can get his hands on pertaining to music, guitar, songwriting and such.
I am not a professional and maybe your son's does have a learning kink in this area. Just thought I would share a bit of my own experience.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I agree, he needs to be checked for Dyslexia. Also, you might want to consider finding out what type of learning style he has (i.e. auitory, kensthetic, or visual) so that you can reach him on his level. In my opinion, phonics is the ONLY way to teach any child to read. Also try using flash cards for the phonetic sounds. )i.e. ou, ch, etc...) Once he is tested and ptoven to have a reading disability, the schools will give him specialize teaching using special programs. He may even benefit from a teacher who specializes in teaching children who are impaired in reading. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2005, 08:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I agree with all of them!
You should get him tested for dyslexia.
You should remember he is a boy and has too much energy to sit and read books : )
You should remember once he discovers there are books like Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Treasure island etc he is bound to get hooked.
In the mean while keep books around him, read to him and tell him stories from books and after he listens and likes them, tell him the name of the book!

My DD is now 7 and if any body had told me she would be such a book worm a year and a half ago, I would have had a fit of laughter, seeing that she had such trouble focussing on work!! Now she started her first Harry Potter...

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Honorary Members
Old 08-14-2005, 05:48 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Try these online sites for free games to enhance reading:

www.starfall.com
www.studydog.com

Starfall is an online game; studydog is a download. But my DD loves them so much that she had me erase her score on studydog so that she could start over!
Old 08-15-2005, 02:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Great posting. Again I don't know how old your son is etc. but what I would say is read, read, read to your son. Some kids are late starters and that is okay but make sure you are reading to him. We read to our oldest children until they were probably 16 and quite frankly would still be reading to them if they'd stay still long enough!

I also agree to use the phonics system--check your library and if your have to teach it to yourself first, then do so. I learned whole word reading style so phonics were new to me for my youngest child. Good luck to you and him.