Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 03-22-2005, 08:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Where are all the homeschoolers?

Hi everyone, I just made my way back over here. I had joined awhile back, but never posted.

Anyways, I am a Homeschooling mom of 2. Amanda is 11 and will be finishing 6th grade here soon and Jacob is 9 and will be finishing 4th grade. This is our 7th year of homeschooling, neither kid has ever been in a 'school'.

I am on a hunt for ideas for curriculum for 7th graders. Not sure what we'll be using come fall yet, aside from Math. LOL She really likes Spectrum so I think we'll stick with that book plus I am going to get the Key To... Series.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Home School!

I homeschool my 2 boys aged 11 and 7, I tried a lot of things, but we finally settled on Alpha Omega, and my oldest has used their Switched On Schoolhouse ofr the past 3 years. We really like it because it teaches him better than i could by myself now that he is older, and it also keeps his grades, I REALLY like that feature! You can sometimes find sets on ebay for less money too, so that helps a lot. Alpha Omega will send you a demo CD rom if you ask for it, that is what sold me, the demo lets you try it out and shows you what it's all about. GOOD LUCK!
Tanya
- Corrie ten Boom -
~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ * ~~~ *
Old 03-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi, I homeschool my 3 youngest children and have used all McGraw-Hill Spectrum books too. I really like them. My son is also going into 7th grade next year and I too am not sure what curriculum to use but I am going to research it and post after I find some good books for 7th graders.
Fish3711
felicia
Old 03-24-2005, 03:25 PM
kellyandkids

Depends...

What is her area of interest? Books or science or arts or...

You can school from any angle. Do you want school in a box or the flexibility of a unit study? Carole Joy Seid would tell you to just read and read and read good books. Beyond Five in a Row is a book lead study also.

carolejoyseid.com
fiveinarow.com

I made the mistake of leaving a book out that they were to read next week. They haven't finished the first book to my satifaction - a biography of the author. Oh well. Schooling in circles here.

Science (starts in 7th grade) for the college bound is Apologia;
Rainbow Science for the non-science oriented mom and child.

Consider Inge Cannon's course on getting ready to mentor for High School. Now is the time to think ahead. Edplus.com I think.

Find a support group that does high school kids as well. I am in a formal teaching co-op that focuses on the needs of our high schoolers first and then we make sure we have sibling classes.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:37 PM
kellyandkids

More

Boys - Read "Wild at Heart" and then get them male mentors.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Assistant Moderator

I have a 5th and a 8th grader. This is our seventh year too. We use a little of everything... my son, the 5th grader loves the Spectrum books. Honestly this year has been so busy to to health problems and I grateful for any work they have done. My kids love to read so they are reading alot of ABeka textbooks but not writing out the tests and quizes. With my dd's JRA at times writing is very hard for her. This year whatever has interested the kids and is educational, we have encouraged it. We have a huge marble works thingy and a castle (boxes from Family Fun mag) in the living room... My dd takes her books to PT and her doctor appts. They are learning..... it is very different than what I planned for the year.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I really like the Sonlight curriculum. It is reading based and is great for instilling the love of reading in kids!

www.sonlight.com
Old 03-25-2005, 06:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

assessment testing

Can anyone direct me to a website where you can purchase assessment testing for 1st, 4th & 6th graders where you let them take the test at home and mail it back to them for grading? Usually I take them to the school where they get the FCAT but since I just moved from Florida to Massachusetts and they do not allow homeschoolers to take the test here I am on my own this year to show assessment testing. I can just show a portfolio, but I like to have the assessment test to see where they are at.
Thanks for any help
fish3711
felicia
Old 03-26-2005, 05:24 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi everyone, thank you all for replying! I am I guess what you'd call an eclectic homeschooler.. I use a little of whatever. LOL I seriousl ydon't think my kids nor I would want a complete boxed curriculum, we like the varity of using different things.

So I have my HUGE Rainbow resource (www.rainbowresource.com) catalog here, and will be going through it more thoroughly. I am looking at the LifePacs for Science and Health, and possibly getting dd started with their Consumer Math. I am also looking over Sonlight and looking into Learning Language Arts through Lit.

Felicia, about the assessment teasting, I know someplace online does this but can't for the life of me remember who. I'll look around and will post if I find it.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Assistant Moderator

On testing..... What is the ones the ps use? I know you can buy the kit and test your kids at home IF you have a college degree. I can't think of the name of it though.