Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 04-27-2002, 08:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Homeschooling

Hey, I want to again thank everyone that's emailed me and posted to this website -- I've been able to gather a wealth of info to pass on to other homeschooling families (and some that are thinking about it).

I do have a dilemma, though: I have a friend that is Jewish and she cannot seem to find homeschooling materials on the net suitable for her kindergarten and preschool daughters with the traditional Jewish thing. What she specifically is looking for are free printable coloring and work pages, but not with the Christian theme since they are a Jewish family. Does anyone have a source for this, or an idea for a search?

Thanks!!
Old 04-27-2002, 11:42 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Carie,

Hi. I just punched "jewish homeschooling" into a search engine and came up with tons of stuff. She can try this or I can try to send you the links. Good luck.

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-27-2002, 02:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Homeschooling

Wow!! Thank you so much, Mom with two boys, actually 3 boys and a girl (I think I have it right...but you never know!!) I will email my friend ASAP and tell her what to type in her search engine.

Also pray for myself and my friend -- we both have fibromyalgia and a few other choice goodies, and are feeling physically poor these days. Bless my friend -- she doesn't know Jesus as her Saviour. Now, I am not going to preach to anyone if they do not believe in the things that I do, but I can just say that I know that I would definitely feel much worse if it were not for my beliefs and my church family (as well as my wonderful husband and kids!!). Ellen does have her traditional Jewish beliefs, and bless her for that -- she's very faithful and devout, and I have a world of respect for her -- but she doesn't believe the Messiah ever came, and to me that seems so sad. Oh, well....

Again, thank you so much for your taking the time to not only read my plea for help, but to take the time to search for Jewish homeschooling materials and to then reply to my post! I appreciate it more than I can say. Thanks so much, and many blessings with your family and children.

Old 04-28-2002, 04:14 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

You got it right. I know...it's complicated. lol The extra boy and girl are my precious step-children.

You are most welcome. I hope it helps. You will definitely be in my prayers. I have friends with Fibromyalgia and I know how horribly painful it can be.

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-29-2002, 03:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Homeschooling

So you have two stepchildren! So do I -- I had two girls when we got married and my hubby had the two boys. The oldest boy is now in college near us, and the youngest is 15 and finishing up 9th grade. He opted to stay with his mom about 5 years ago, and that's fine. They've always been fairly close. They live about 5 hours from us, so we meet in Tulsa and exchange "bodies."

My oldest girl is out on her own at 21 and has a 3 year old daughter that's with her dad about 3 hours away. It's hard on us but time goes on!! The other girl, Kirsti, is also finishing up 9th grade and will be 16 in September. She's going to be an attorney and has a heavy high school load ahead of her, including summer classes. But then she's always been that way and needs a challenge.

I need to do dinner, so will close. Thanks so much for the tip on the Jewish websites. My friend is so excited! Pray for her disability to go through soon -- it's been real hard on her family and money is pretty tight.

Thanks again for all your help!! I'm sure we'll be chatting from time to time.

Blessings and Prayers
Old 05-19-2002, 07:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Helpful

I heard about Homeschooling On A Shoestring and Homeschooling for free and got them out of the library! Boy is it great stuff! You have to do your own curriculum work but it's great! It would greatly improve on cost problems and I know I will be using a lot of the idea and internet links to school this year! Check them out and I think it will be well worth your while!

Old 05-25-2002, 08:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Our cost history.

I just wanted to add that when we first started homeschooling almost six years ago, I was very overwhelmed and was scared to death that I was "going to leave something out". I spent over $800.00 on a boxed curriculum, and though it was nice I felt like it was overpriced. The very next year, I went to the other extreme and made all of my own stuff from the internet and a few cheap store-bought workbooks and things worked out fine. A web site that helps me know I am teaching what is required for that particlar year/grade is [URL deleted no longer valid URL] it really eases my mind and calms my worries....maybe it could be of some help.
~~Pam

Last edited by mom2-4; 09-08-2008 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-28-2002, 05:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I find that I can usually find a good deal on ebay if I want to take the time. I decide what is the maximum amount I will pay on an item based on the new cost. I picked up the complete Bob Jones science grade 5 for less than $20. That was for the TE, student text, student notebook and Teacher's packet. The text alone runs around $22 and this was the one being currently sold. . Sometimes it is older texts, sometimes current you just have to take the time to look around.