Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 03-19-2002, 12:09 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question Where to look for curriculum(sp)?

if I would decide too homeschool where do I start looking for curriculum? Most of what I have seen has a religious base. And while yes, my family is Christian, I would prefer not to have a religious based curriculum. I would prefer too teach that seperate. But I also don't want one that is going too promote evolution or some such. Where do I even start looking?
Thanks,
aubry
Old 03-19-2002, 12:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I don't think it's possible to find a secular curriculum that doesn't teach evolution.

Why do you want to teach "religion" separately? Isn't your faith part of your everyday life? There are many curriculums out there that are not based on the Bible, yet they are considered conservative and Christian. Alpha Omega Publications, Bob Jones, A Beka. You could also try Calvert.

Do a search for "homeschool curriculum" at Google.com and you'll probably find a boatload of stuff.

You can also check my Unofficial Weaver Pages - the Useful Links section. I believe I have some links to various publishers linked there.

Kelly H.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:53 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks, I will check some of those out.
Yes, your right, I am going too find some things I don't agree with probably in most of the secular material. I guess it is just a matter of adapting it too what I want my children too learn.
I am just so torn on this subject right now!
Driving dh crazy with it!
But, he will be supportive, no matter what I decide on. He feels the final decision is mine, since I will be doing most of the work.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

One site I looked at, just got the packet today and I ordered it last week, is www.homeschools.org

It's called Christian Liberty Academy Sattelite Schools. Looks good so far. You might check that out as well. There is also another thread in here about sites for homeschooling and alot of those have free lesson plans you can print out as well.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Five in a Row is a good curriculum.

www.fiveinarow.com

Check it out...

CamsShel
Old 04-13-2002, 05:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Home Schooling Curriculum

I am a third grade teacher with a master's degree in school curriculum. If I were home schooling any children, I would ask the school board for a copy of their school curriculum guides. They should have one for each subject at each grade level. These guides tell you what each child should know by the end of any particular year. They definitely have them, because we have to refer to them on a weekly basis when planning our lessons in public school. Does your community require you to register what you are teaching your child (I am just curious). Anyway, if the local school board is not helpful, I would call the state dept. of ed. for your state and request the curriculum guides, or I would approach a regular school and ask for free copies or loaners to copy. I would also ask for the school books that are being used and I would use them as a guide or reference point. You are entitled to these copies as long as you agree to return them. You are, afterall, saving the schools the cost of educating your children and you do pay taxes. Some of the people down here that I have encountered have not been at all knowledgeable about curriculum, and it frightens me to think what their children might be missing. Others are doing such a great job that their children are light years ahead. I know that you are doing a great job just by your question. Your children are very lucky to be homeschooled. If my daughter were younger, I would like to go that route too. I do not feel that she received an adequate education and in college she found it very difficult to make up for the gaps. Good Luck!!
Old 04-13-2002, 11:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Just a quick comment about getting curriculum guides and such from the public schools - not everyone will be as helpful as Mulberry204! If you approach someone in your school district and they say 'no, you can't copy them' then try someone else. As Mulberry pointed out, you have every right to see these guides, regardless of whether or not you are homeschooling!

Many public schools will discourage you from homeschooling, because if you do, you will be taking money AWAY from them. Many of the schools in this area will encourage parents to try public schooling for 6 weeks. What they don't tell the parents is that they send in a census to the state during the third week of September and the state gives them their money based on the number of students in their class. If you take your child out of school after the census, they still get their money. If you take your child out prior to the census, they don't get their money.

Many curriculum vendors have curriculum guides (scope and sequence) as well. One of the encyclopedia companies does as well ... is it World Book? Brittanica? I can't remember, but it was online and free to download. You can get an S&S from Alpha Omega, from Rod and Staff, from Bob Jones.

See if your library has Mary Pride's Big Book of Home Education. The back of that book lists hundreds of vendors and many of them have 800 numbers. You can call and get the S&S for free from many of them.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Kelly H.
Old 04-14-2002, 07:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Just browing and thinking

Thanks for the good information on this subject. My little one is 3 1/2,so I am starting to gather information. When do you all think is a good time to start the homeschooling experience? How do you structure it? How do you find you what your state thinks of homeschooling?
Old 04-14-2002, 11:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I began learning all I could about hsing when my oldest was 3 1/2. I read books from the library, bought my own books on hsing, and talked to other hsing moms. This was about 4 years before I had Internet access, so I also spent time attending local homeschool meetings.

Once I thought I was saturated in homeschool info, I began setting aside 20-30 minutes each day, at the same time, to spend time doing something 'schoolish' with my son. He was about 4 1/2 by then. After a couple weeks, I would start announcing this time by calling it 'school' - "Honey, it's time for some school now." It was an easy transition. Gradually, I added a math workbook and reading/spelling materials. Each time I added something, I would wait a whole week before adding anything else. It's kinda like starting an infant on solids. You work with one thing at a time until the child is used to it and then you add the next thing.

Oh, and for preschool, we varied what we did each day. Playdoh, reading books and discussing the story, drawing pictures, making cookies, etc. But, we always did it at the same TIME each day.

Kelly H.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks Homewriter.