Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Homeschooling Do you homeschool? Thinking about it? Join the discussion and talk to other homeschooling parents!

Old 04-24-2002, 07:41 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Reply to Mulberry

Mulberry: I don't think my remarks were directed to you. It's not the school guides I am talking about. It is the actual curriculum used by the public schools that I would not choose to use in teaching my children.
I have been very fortunate to have resources available where I live and in books I have read to guide me to be as thorough as possible in which subjects I teach my children. You are right in telling us to be thorough--high school and college come very quickly, and we don't want our children to miss out on any area of curriculum which will prepare them for the tests they will need to take.
Another comment to homeschooling moms still trying to decide about curriculum choices. In the area of reading....please be sure to use a reading program that teaches phonograms (the breaking down of English words into "sound bytes") I taught school for 16 years and now realize there were only three of those years that I was teaching reading properly. Most schools use a controlled-vocabulary approach to teaching reading and this is not sufficient. I can't go into all the details here, but for further information read books by Samuel L. Blumenfeld (who wrote these books long before homeschooling became popular.) He explains the way reading ought to be taught. There are many great reading curriculums out there that teach phonograms. If anyone wants suggestions I can give you that information.
Once again, Mulberry, I apologize if it sounded like I was critizing you. Thank you again for encouraging us to cover all the important areas of curriculum.
Kathy from California
Old 06-25-2002, 04:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

You may want to reconsider curriculum that is religion based because while they do mention God in the curriculum they don't try to push one demoninaton over another. You may be passing up some excellent curriculum such as Abeka if you pass up the ones that are religion based. I like Abeka for science and language, Saxon for math, Modern Curriculum Press for spelling, and Veritas Press for History.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

scope and sequence info

Ladies,

I generally think that what you all have said is thought provoking. One thing I might throw in here is that if you want to know general guidelines for academics for your student. World Book used to put out a guideline, or rather a booklet with each grade level expectations. Now, mind you, this is a genetral guideline. I also have found in my homeschool experience, that, as a believer, I can also seek "higher counsel" on my student needs, that go beyond and help contribute to their academics. I think it bears repeating that we are addressing the WHOLE child, not just the intellect.

Hsma
Old 06-26-2002, 08:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Well Here is my 2cents worth. First of all I think teachers have the 2nd hardest job in America. Mothers have the 1st. There are many pros and cons about home schooling and I do believe you can have the best of two worlds by doing both. You can teach your child the Core classes, Math, English, Science, History and Religion. Then you can send your child to school for the social skills they need and the learning to cooperate with their peers. Say they want to take Band, be on the Basketball team, Spanish class, Computers, woodshop, etc. they can get this from their public school.

We all have to live together, work together and worship together.

janet
Old 06-27-2002, 08:07 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Janet,
What you are suggesting sounds like a wonderful idea. If only the schools agreed. I would love too encorporate some of the school programs in with my homeschooling. For classes such as music and languages. But at least in my area that isn't going too happen. If I choose too homeschool my child, I lose all use of the schools programs. I even have too get outside speech classes for her. And find my own ways too socialize her, such as dance and swimming and church. I wish it was possible too combine the 2 worlds.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hi Aubry!

So sorry your schools do not allow that. Our school here does.

I wonder if you could use the school if you paid a small tuition?
(just an idea)

Good Luck with the schooling!

janet
Old 06-27-2002, 12:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

ourside socialization

Aubry

I think swemming, church etc are FINE opportunities for getting your student "Socialized" I put quotes around the word, because I think, we as a society put too much emohasis on it for the kids. I do not believe that having my child around 25 other kids thier own ages necessarily socializes them into what I want for my student. You may already know this, but having your student around all ages within your community will go much further in teaching, mentoring and socializing them. They will learn TONS from every place that you are. I AM sorry that your school districts will not cooperate with you, as a homeschooler, in terms of offering classes, but in reality, you have your whole community as a classroom!!

HSma
Old 11-04-2002, 09:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have tried and tried to get the school and school board to give me guide lines but they will not so I have been looing on my own to fine my 4th grader curriculum ... I have found some here and some there but this is harder than I thought... the teaching part I can handle but finding the curriculum is what I am finding to be difficult for me... I want textbooks and workbooks and on subjects that he should be doing.. I know the point to homeschooling is to not follow the school guidelines but I did not start homeshcooling because of the material , I had to start because my daughter has cancer and I spend way too much time going back and forth to the hospital for her treatments and my son's school wanted to give me grief about it but I could not be in 2 places at once.. The hospital she goes to is 1.5 hrs away from our home....
If anyone could give me some pointers I would be most appreciative....
Old 11-05-2002, 04:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Check your local library for a book called, What Your 4th Grader Needs to Know, by E. D. Hirsch (Core Knowledge series). If your library doesn't have this, you can pick it up for less than $15 at just about any bookstore. I've even seen this series at Walmart.

Another option, if you feel like printing stuff out, is to go to the [URL no longer accessible] for a free scope and sequence.

Last edited by mom2-4; 09-08-2008 at 02:16 AM.